Co-Worker Claims His Workout Is Superior

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what he thinks?

Really, I am mystified by why you gave this advice any kind of importance whatsoever.
  • wingchungym
    Options
    :laugh: :smile: Let him do his thing, walking is nice, just know HE IS SO WRONG!
    Not really sure where to post this, so if it has to be moved then it has to be moved.

Somehow we got into a discussion on what kind of workouts each of us like to do. He told me he only does 30 minutes of walking over day, and no more. When he asked what I did, I told him that I do a combination of cardio and weight lifting three to four times a week, for about two and a half hours. He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches. He's somewhat flabby and has a penchant for junk food and carbs.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. :( Definitely need some support on this one. :(

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-esWR.gif
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Everyone has to think their workout is superior. If not they wouldn't be doing it.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    He's just challenging you. Rise above it and ignore him from here on in like he's invisible.

Don't ignore him but ignore the comment. You are both adults right? This is the sort of behaviour I see in my grade 4 class =)

Agree to disagree and move on. You are doing what's good for you, he's doing what he thinks is good for him. Who cares what he thinks? or anyone else for that matter =)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches.

He's somewhat flabby.

you've answered your own question.

take advice from people who are qualified to give it. every assh0le can have an opinion.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Not really sure where to post this, so if it has to be moved then it has to be moved.

Somehow we got into a discussion on what kind of workouts each of us like to do. He told me he only does 30 minutes of walking over day, and no more. When he asked what I did, I told him that I do a combination of cardio and weight lifting three to four times a week, for about two and a half hours. He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches. He's somewhat flabby and has a penchant for junk food and carbs.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. :( Definitely need some support on this one. :(

Don't let what other people think is right to derail you from what you KNOW is right. Not everyone has the discipline to do what you're doing!!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

For starters, I probably should have went into more detail, but I wanted to get things down while the event was still fresh in my mind - I simply needed a place to vent. Perhaps 'support' wasn't the proper word to use, but I was in a hurry, and pretty angry. Did I believe what he was telling me? No. Everything just was just so far out of left field, that it was a bit hard to swallow. (Plus, it was getting towards the end of my break, so I had to be quick with what I was posting.)

The reason that we got into the conversation in the first place was because he DID notice that I was losing weight, and had asked me how I was doing it - because he has been trying to shed a few pounds himself. I didn't offer advice, or say anything, I just flat out told him what I was DOING - I wasn't going to give advice, because that's best left to a professional. After I mentioned this to him, he started in why he thought I was wrong for doing was I was doing - going on the spiel that I posted here on the forum.

Rest assured that I did not argue with this person, I was extremely polite and decided to change the subject. If anything, I said that was awesome that he was doing what he was doing, and offered encouragement.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you look at medical literature, there is a ton of supposed health benefits from walking 30 minutes a day five or more days per week: decreased risk of stroke, heart disease, reduced BP and cholesterol, etc. Plus, it is easy on the joints. In addition, it is sustainable for most people. It IS about the long term, and if anyone has the discipline to walk five days a week for thirty minutes, well good for them. That is probably where he gets the idea that it is "superior to yours". So in all fairness, that is a decent exercise regimen for the average person that wants to prevent general medical problems. It's certainly better than what the majority of people in my area is doing, which is NOTHING.

However, there is research based evidence that resistance training is hugely beneficial. Also, as we age, sarcopenia, or age related muscle loss, becomes an issue for a myriad of health problems. So it's best to pack the muscle on now, and fight to keep it on.

I will however say that if you are spending 3-4 times per week doing 2.5 hour workouts to be careful not to flame out. Depending on your age and amount of caloric restriction your body may not be able to recover adequately from the previous workout and it could eventually become counter productive. Do it if you like, but listen to your body and don't feel guilty if you need to slow down a bit. You need much less time in the gym than that to make great strides. You've got a long way to go on your weight loss regimen. Slow and steady wins the race.

Done properly, resistance training 1-2X a week, and HIIT 1-2x week is more than adequate for gains and is more sustainable over the rest of your life. But it also means eating less. And I'll be the first to admit I I exercise more so I can eat more. I ran 2 miles yesterday,primarily because I ate some pancakes. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what he thinks?

Really, I am mystified by why you gave this advice any kind of importance whatsoever.
    Agreed! Why would you care what some moron says?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would you need support to swat down something that stupid? He's either messing with you or he's a humongous moron.

EDIT: You are perfectly fine and doing everything as you should.

Exactly. Do your thing and let him do his. Then you can just smile and nod knowingly at him as you start to rock it! :)
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-esWR.gif

I love it when Nathan shows up!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    He trolled you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to think their workout is superior. If not they wouldn't be doing it.

This isn't necessarily true. Not everyone chooses to do what they do because they think it is superior. Lots of people have reasons for choosing what they do. I've seen people in the forums say that they hate sweating, so they choose to do as little exercise as they can. Some people have injuries or disabilities. Some people have different goals. Some care more about aesthetics, some care more about their specific athletic goals. Some prefer things they find fun or beneficial in other ways (yoga can have mental benefits for people that have a stressful life for example). Some people want to do something easy. Some people want a challenge. Some people want something not too easy, not too challenging.

To the OP, don't stop doing weights. Obviously walking is not superior to weights. It's just common sense at this point.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you need support? Roll your eyes, walk away and don't discuss it again.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Next time, walk by and ask him, "Do you have tickets? ..... To the GUN SHOW?" and flex mightily.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Next time, walk by and ask him, "Do you have tickets? ..... To the GUN SHOW?" and flex mightily.

And then you could be all like "say hello to the twins. They're called Damn and Daaaaaaaaaaamn"

*Kiss biceps thereafter*
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Why would you need support for this?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    A co worker of mine told me that 20 years ago. I still don't believe him. My pics don't lie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

For starters, I probably should have went into more detail, but I wanted to get things down while the event was still fresh in my mind - I simply needed a place to vent. Perhaps 'support' wasn't the proper word to use, but I was in a hurry, and pretty angry. Did I believe what he was telling me? No. Everything just was just so far out of left field, that it was a bit hard to swallow. (Plus, it was getting towards the end of my break, so I had to be quick with what I was posting.)

The reason that we got into the conversation in the first place was because he DID notice that I was losing weight, and had asked me how I was doing it - because he has been trying to shed a few pounds himself. I didn't offer advice, or say anything, I just flat out told him what I was DOING - I wasn't going to give advice, because that's best left to a professional. After I mentioned this to him, he started in why he thought I was wrong for doing was I was doing - going on the spiel that I posted here on the forum.

Rest assured that I did not argue with this person, I was extremely polite and decided to change the subject. If anything, I said that was awesome that he was doing what he was doing, and offered encouragement.

How are you doing it, is a trap question. My response now is always, eat less and move more. New subject.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It's time & comments like this where I am sad that you can't GIF someone in real life