Anyone lost weight eating 3 square meals a day?

Options
Or three meals and one snack? There are so many different theories concerning the frequency of meals - from intermittent fasting to eating every three hours, I'm just curious whether anyone managed to lose weight by eating less frequently..

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It's the amount (of calories) that matters, not the frequency... Sometimes I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, sometimes I eat 2 larger meals and 1 snack...it all depends on my mood and my schedule. And I'm still losing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing and metabolism have zero relationship.

you can eat three meals, six meals, twenty four meals an hour, and the benefit to metabolism is zero.

So eat whenever you want, and just stay in a calorie deficit.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And snacks. I did make the calories fit but what I think was helpful for me about eating throughout the day is that I'm prone to overeat if I allow myself to get very hungry.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I generally always have breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch and dinner. And pretty much at the same time everyday, that's just the schedule I'm used to.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Well its been proven that our bodies cannot actually tell if we get all our calories from 1 meal a day or 12. The "6 small meals a day" thing is a huge myth. Actually they have found that GRAZING all day long will actually make you hungrier.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    I try to avoid square meals as they're hard to choke down. I found round meals are much easier to consume :).

If I don't eat something small every few hours, I tend to pork out more on the next meal.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    3 meals here.

I think nutrient timing is pretty much useless except on a personal level. If you feel more satiated by eating three meals, go for it! If you find it easier to eat more small meals - go for it.

id argue even in terms of a workout it is personal. If you workout better after eating, then eat before a workout. If you don't - then don't. Same goes for afterwards. I don't think there is any reason to rush in some sort of shake or post workout meal UNLESS it is your personal preference.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    ditto to what everyone else thinks.

I eat 3 meals a day plus snacks.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Well its been proven that our bodies cannot actually tell if we get all our calories from 1 meal a day or 12. The "6 small meals a day" thing is a huge myth. Actually they have found that GRAZING all day long will actually make you hungrier.

Who are 'they'? Grazing can help even out your blood sugar levels and prevent hunger pangs.

Find what works for you, 3 large meals or 6 small ones. it also depends on when you get your breaks, not everyone can eat whilst at work so you only get a lunch break.

it doesn't matter in terms of weight loss, what impact it does have is your level of satiety. Personally I can't go longer than 3 hours without eating, i am still in my cals and losing weight each week whilst never feeling hungry to the point of tummy rumbles!

Also factor in proper nutrition pre and post workout, most people wouldn't be able to eat JUST 3 meals. This is not including snacking, which are really mini meals.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    meal frequency / timing is irrelevant.

I still eat 3 meals a day, and a late night snack. Hasn't made a lick of difference.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I eat three small meals a day and one to two snacks. Meals are usually about 300calorie-ish and then my snacks are like a apple and banana
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Who are 'they'? Grazing can help even out your blood sugar levels and prevent hunger pangs.

Well the below study in the linked thread found that grazing and high frequency meals left you hungrier, among other things.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127556-eat-often-to-kick-up-that-metabolism-right

Three squares works for me.
  • LGS1974
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and they are well spaced. Sometimes if I work in the evening I eat a heavier lunch and sometimes a late snack.

I'm more likely to be starving and reach for high fat/sugar food if there is too long a time between meals.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I eat my meals off square plates.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals per day. Breakfast 7 am, Lunch 11:30 or 12, and Dinner between 5-7, usually on the earlier end of that.

I am not a snacker.

When I was at my heaviest I ate at the exact same intervals as I do now.

However, for me eating tiny meals more often or adding snacks just does not work. Mostly it is a psychological thing. I wind up making poor choices and/or never feeling quite satisfied. I would never eat a tiny snack of steamed broccoli or baby spinach but I eat those things regularly as part of any meal. If I allowed myself multiple daily snacks it is likely that some of those would be things like cookies or chips, which I don't really feel craving for when I eat regular meals and they wouldn't fit into my meals very well (taste or calorie wise).
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I usually have two big meals and maybe a little snack in between. I've been doing intermittent fasting and I like it. I feel I'm usually not hungry first thing in the morning and it allows me to have two nice big meals and stay within my calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating more often tends to make people hungrier in general, because the body becomes trained to eat that often, so if a meal is late or skipped a person feels hungry. If you eat less often, your body adjusts to that schedule, and you're less likely to get hit with hunger from missing a regular meal time, because your body is used to longer periods without food.

99% of "feeling hungry" is controlled by hormones, and has little to do with actual physical hunger.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    9 meals a day seems a bit much
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Find what works for you, 3 large meals or 6 small ones. it also depends on when you get your breaks, not everyone can eat whilst at work so you only get a lunch break.

it doesn't matter in terms of weight loss, what impact it does have is your level of satiety. Personally I can't go longer than 3 hours without eating, i am still in my cals and losing weight each week whilst never feeling hungry to the point of tummy rumbles!

Also factor in proper nutrition pre and post workout, most people wouldn't be able to eat JUST 3 meals. This is not including snacking, which are really mini meals.

Yes if you have blood sugar problems and our required to eat every 3 hours it is needed. But not necessary for everyone else. Why would I have hunger pains when I eat whole, filling meals? Before I go to the gym in the morning I just incorporate it with my breakfast, if I dont eat breakfast before the gym I eat it when I get home. I dont think eating before and after is necessary for what I am doing. When I graze I just want to eat more.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals w/ late night snacks. Probably not the three meals you're thinking, though.

I skip breakfast or I'm raging hungry an hour later. No idea why.

I eat a normal lunch between 11-1, a largish dinner ~6 and a small 4th meal (usually something sweet) around 9-10 with a snack a couple of hours later if I'm having a really late night.