Anyone lost weight eating 3 square meals a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals an rarely snack, just not a snacker really. But I am still losing weight.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 3 meals I suppose just not so much or unlimited quantities. That's where tracking just abotu everything that goes in my face to include suppliments. Not only tracking calories but nutrients etc. For me it's amazing that just becoming aware of what I am eating helps. I have eliminated "spontaneous" eating for the most part. 40lbs down, roughly 20 more to go. Then the next adventure is to maintain. But I think I have gained some confidence in being able to control my food intake rather then it controlliing me. :bigsmile:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Well its been proven that our bodies cannot actually tell if we get all our calories from 1 meal a day or 12. The "6 small meals a day" thing is a huge myth. Actually they have found that GRAZING all day long will actually make you hungrier.

Who are 'they'? Grazing can help even out your blood sugar levels and prevent hunger pangs.

Find what works for you, 3 large meals or 6 small ones. it also depends on when you get your breaks, not everyone can eat whilst at work so you only get a lunch break.

it doesn't matter in terms of weight loss, what impact it does have is your level of satiety. Personally I can't go longer than 3 hours without eating, i am still in my cals and losing weight each week whilst never feeling hungry to the point of tummy rumbles!

Also factor in proper nutrition pre and post workout, most people wouldn't be able to eat JUST 3 meals. This is not including snacking, which are really mini meals.

Yes if you have blood sugar problems and our required to eat every 3 hours it is needed. But not necessary for everyone else. Why would I have hunger pains when I eat whole, filling meals? Before I go to the gym in the morning I just incorporate it with my breakfast, if I dont eat breakfast before the gym I eat it when I get home. I dont think eating before and after is necessary for what I am doing. When I graze I just want to eat more.

I think this is another topic that falls into the realm of personal choice and what works for you. "They" may have done a study, but for me, I find eating small meals more frequently keeps me from overeating and from being hungry in between. I'm a grazer..and I've lost almost 40lbs.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do better eating 2-3 meals and maybe a small snack (piece of fruit, some nuts, etc) if I feel really hungry . I successfully lost weight doing the grazing thing, but when I went back to maintenance, it was a disaster. I'm a habit eater and an emotional eater, so when I stopped regulating every little bite, I gained back the weight then some because I had programmed myself to pretty much eat all the time. Keeping my eating mainly confined to meals makes me happier because I can eat more in a sitting, so I feel satisfied. When I was eating lots of small meals, I was pretty much always thinking about food.

This is one area where I I think you need to experiment and find something that fits your lifestyle.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep another 3 squares a day here. I don't tend to snack cause my brain doesnt understand how A peice of fruit or A couple of crackers etc is just a snack and I find myself wanting more almost instantly. But 3 nice solid meals works great. :) Only caveat to that is.. I dont like to leave it too long between meals or I tend to get too hungry and over eat. So some days.. its a delicate balance.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    2 meals a day here (Sometimes only one, on weekends!)

Lost over 50lbs so far I think!

Calories in vs calories out. Doesn't matter if you eat 20 meals in the day or just 2!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Everything above about meal timing and metabolism is true, but given that most humans feel the need to eat every 2 - 3 hours, a lot of nutritionists recommend healthy snacks between meals. The point being, if you are famished at lunch time because you haven't eaten since 6:30 am, you are very likely to over-eat, whereas if you'd had a snack at 10 am, that would be less likely. Good luck!
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals a day. Small meals, but filling. I only eat a snack if I'm going to the gym for extra energy. I've learned to eye ball my meals so the only calories I need to count is exercise calories. According to my ticker, I've lost 38 lbs since Dec. 2013 (my MFP join date). I can say my method has been working. I also don't eat until I hit at least 4 hours for a meal. After my third meal, I fast for 12 hours and then begin the new day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a snack. It fits with my lifestyle and work and isn't a major change. Timing doesn't matter, input does :)
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I aim for 6 meals a day, every two- three hours. Just a mentality thing, plus it stop me from pigging out later at night.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Everything above about meal timing and metabolism is true, but given that most humans feel the need to eat every 2 - 3 hours, a lot of nutritionists recommend healthy snacks between meals. The point being, if you are famished at lunch time because you haven't eaten since 6:30 am, you are very likely to over-eat, whereas if you'd had a snack at 10 am, that would be less likely. Good luck!

Agreed