Soup?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories won't fill you up as much so don't know why you'd do that to yourself, however it's your body.

Not really. What do you mean? By volume? By weight? By the amount of energy they give?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I always have soup for lunch, make a batch at the weekend and bring to work in a thermos. Depending on what you put in they can both low calorie and filling. I get most of the recipes from the BBC good food website, for some inspiration these are my absolute favourites that I make again and again and really fill me up and pack a big flavour punch!

Red lentil and chorizo (340 kcal)
    Creamy spinach and lentil with bacon (228 kcal)
    Moroccan chickpea (165 kcal)
    Caldo verde (365 kcal)
    Spicy roast parsnip (200 kcal)
    Seafood chowder (329 kcal)
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I always have soup for lunch, make a batch at the weekend and bring to work in a thermos. Depending on what you put in they can both low calorie and filling. I get most of the recipes from the BBC good food website, for some inspiration these are my absolute favourites that I make again and again and really fill me up and pack a big flavour punch!

Caldo verde (365 kcal)

There's some great soups on there. I'll have to try the lentil and chorizo soup. I make this one a lot: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    One reason to look forward to cooler weather here is that it is soup season! I make it frequently. My favorites are split pea with ham, or potato leek...but there are so many good ones! One good one...sweet potato, apple, and peanut butter. Delicious!
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    During the cold months I make homemade soups in the crock pot. They are very filling, and not as high in sodium, and so simple to make. I do a vegetable beef, chicken chowder, chicken tortilla, broccoli cheddar, 2 different kinds of bean soups and chilli. The trick is making sure that you know exactly what is going in, and adding filling protiens.

The only one that I fix that is a little high in calories and fat is the broccoli cheddar, but I add chicken or ham to it as well, and 1 cup fills me up for quite some time, I also make sure that I have extra fruits and veggies to snack on along with it.

These all sounds awesome! Could you share the recipe for chicken chowder? I frequently make the rest you have mentioned. Love making the veggie beef as the way i make it I can have a 2-cup serving for only 350 calories and it has a ton of protein!
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Caldo verde (365 kcal)

There's some great soups on there. I'll have to try the lentil and chorizo soup. I make this one a lot: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup

Yum! Saving this for later - want to check out that website!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried eatting just soup for lunch everyday like you see the adds on tv? Is this a healthy idea or no?

We eat soup frequently but not daily. I'm a firm believer in leftover soup. Sometimes it is a classic thing like turkey noodle, other times it is taco soup or c*ck-a-leekie soup. It is never canned soup. That stuff is too high in sodium.

Good luck to you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried eatting just soup for lunch everyday like you see the adds on tv? Is this a healthy idea or no?

Sure. We make a large batch of soup once a week or so. Some for lunches and light dinners & some for the freezer. We make broth with the leftover carcass of roasted chickens in the crockpot & freeze that as well for future use.

Soup bones from the supermarket also make good beef broths. I like to roast them with tomato paste first, then into the crock pot they go with a mirepoix. Google 'bone broth' for additional information.

Makes for delicious inexpensive light meals :drinker:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have soup with lunch and dinner every single day. I find it keeps me fuller for longer. However, these are homemade soups only - that way I can control the calories, sodium, etc. much better. As for having soup as an entire meal (I think that's what you're asking? I haven't seen these commercials...), it would depend on the ingredients. I usually make vegetable soups, so that wouldn't fill me up for an entire meal. I think it's a great accompaniment though!