kid-friendly (and picky husband) low carb dinner recipes

Options
13»

Replies

• trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also make gumbo. I use smoked sausage, shrimp, chicken, tomato juice, beef or chicken broth, okra (that might be a no-no in your house, but you can leave it out or use a different veggie instead), onion and cauli for the rice (optional) and seasonings.
    If you need to, the veggies can be bought frozen, along with the shrimp, and smoked sausage is pretty easy.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm horrified at the idea of having a child on a low carb diet.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm horrified at the idea of having a child on a low carb diet.

Agree Fiona. Hopefully, the OP is planning on providing her child with his/her bulk carbs outside her dinner prep. Children source their energy from Carbs@around 55 to 60% of their daily needs. They NEED carbs ... Unless children are diabetic and need close carbs monitoring. Still ... Not enough information is provided to adequately assist her. Then again, children should NEVER be placed on diets ~ they have healthy eating plans.

ETA: correct children to child
  • bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For dinner if I do stiry fry's. I give my husband rice and I serve mine on julienned zucchini. i bought a cheap julienne tool on ebay and use it on zucchini, you can substitute it for any pasta or rice. You can also take cauliflower and put it on the food processor to make "rice" You can also cook cauliflower and then mash it, with butter and garlic, to make fake potatoes.

I usually do a protein like steak, pork chops or chicken, then veggies and a side carb like rice or potatoes for my husband, and I just take the veggies. Mark's Daily Apple is a website with a lot of good recipes on it.
  • TE76RA
    TE76RA Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. My daughters paed has recommended I lower her carb intake
  • cadajo
    Options
    bump
  • cadajo
    Options
    bump
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't have to make separate dinners. mom made one thing, and if we didn't like it then we ate bread and butter. i am not a picky eater other than not eating meat or fish but if it isn't an animal i will eat it. no need for them to get their way, that wouldn't fly in my household.

try and make soups, or sneak the foods they don't like in (like the veggies puree into a spaghetti sauce or a soup)
  • I made "chicken meatloaf" for my only red meat husband and he LOVEDDDD it.
    1lb ground chicken
    2 diff colored bell peppers minced very small
    about 3 tbsp. red onion also minced
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    about 1 cup parm cheese (just put as much as you like)
    1 egg white
    and I shred carrots and slice mushrooms, but just hide any veggie you think you can in there!!
    1 packet dry ranch dressing
    bake at 350 for about 30 min-ish. (I have to check mine to make sure its done. lol

but yea, this is def a hit. I gave the recipe to a few friends and their families devoured it! :) good luck
  • [/quote]
    Thank you! This is helpful! We get tired of the same old "chicken breast with veggies, steak with veggies, pork chops with veggies". I do allow my family rolls/bread with meals should they choose it, it's just nice to not have to cook a million different things after working all day if I can avoid it!
    [/quote]

the best thing is to keep experimenting. I just started throwing different things together and sometimes its great and sometimes a bust. trial and error. but sneaking in veggies works for husbands as well as children. also, "low carb" and NO CARB are 2 totally different things. so play around with sweet potatoes. my husband kicked and screamed until I made him try some things. And there are plentyyyyyyy of people on this site with plenty of opinions. ignore them. YOU know whats right for you and your family. like most people here said, making a carb for them and not eating it isn't the worst thing in the world. and as it is a dinner recipe, carbs are not the most important part of the meal. (carbs are energy and people do not need energy at the end of the night to sleep on lol) so just take it all with a grain of salt.

oh. and lime is a FANTASTIC WAY to spice things up. and I used mrs. dash on almost everything. lol. they have so many different flavors its ridiculous. :)
  • LydiaThatcher
    LydiaThatcher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com has a TON of recipes that are great for the family
  • luvmydoggies
    luvmydoggies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here I will be trying.

I am also a single mom. My oldest daughter is 21 and is doing this with me but I have a 12 yr old daughter and she is the thin one in the family so I really don't restrict what she eats.
    She gets plenty of carbs in daily: bread, milk, yogurt, orange juice, whole grain waffles, fruit etc (stuff we can't eat yet), but at dinner she eats what I make. She is a little picky though at times when it comes to veggies so if its a veggie she don't like I will make her some rice or put a potato in the oven while I'm cooking. She loves to eat salads though so that is good.
    Overall we are all learning to eat better....cutting out all the fast food except when she goes with her dad but like I said I am not restricting her diet just healthier choices at home now for her which will benefit us all
  • sistermarla
    Options
    Try this site:
    http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/

I found it while doing Medifast. There are lots of low carb recipes that are great for family dinners. I tend to cook low carb (meat & veggies) then make a side with carbs. The microwavable rice option is a great time saver. I have also updated many of my recipes to be low carb friendly. So far so good! And I must say my family are pretty good sports about trying new things! Another thing I do is keep some Atkins products on hand just in case I need a quick snack or meal. Good luck!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I understand your dillema - I work full time and cook for 7 people every night! I make one meal. I plan meals for the whole month with input from the family (but I am the cook, so I make the final decisions). Kids get to pick on Tuesdays (they love this).

We do a lot of meat, starch, veggie combos and I just have a smaller portion of the starch. Or if I serve something with rice, I might put it over lettuce as a salad instead.

Here are a few recipes that I make that would fit low carb or could be modified (and things my kids and picky Mom will eat)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/barbecued-chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps-recipe/index.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/garlic-lovers-roast-beef.html served with http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/creamy-cauliflower-puree.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/slow-cooked-sweet-barbacoa-pork.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/balsamic-roast-pork-tenderloins-recipe/index.html

Plus we love chicken breast marinated in italian dressing, sirloin steak, salmon with lemon pepper seasoning
  • RPM2014
    RPM2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old conversation but since I also have a picky husband AND children. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in November 2013 and cannot tolerate many carbs AT ALL. I found that the easiest way to eat dinner is make some kind of meat and veggie so that I am covered and throw in a starch on the side for my family to have with their meal.