sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    All I got out of this was that you make stuffing from a bag/box

:noway: :huh:

For real, yo. What's up with that?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    that I am saying is that there are other ppl out there that simply cant handle the salt, grease, butter fat, and all that! I know that I am not alone, if you have nothing to contribute to this, that can be taken good and used for the better, then there really is no reason for you to contribute at all.. '
    there are some ppl that have lost family memebers and thanksgiving may be a reminder of that and that may cause ppl to "over indulge" and true as it is, one day wont cause a total flop, but it could.. imagine that your sitting at the dinner table and all of a sudden aunt frida makes a comment about how unkie fred died and she is all torn up and grabs for a 2lb slab of pie, and imagine that she busted her *kitten* to loose 20 lbs and that she is a "food junkie" wouldn't you rather her go for a slab of pie that has 60 less calories?
    there is ways to help ppl. this is what was running threw my head when I created this post. so, take it with a grain of salt, or what ever else, but there may be ppl looking at this for ideas.

What the hell is going on here?

We went from green beans instead of casserole to dead relative comfort food? And no, if Aunt Frida needs to console herself with pie Imma make sure that sucker has a dozen eggs and is made with Normandy Butter. No one. NO ONE is going to console themselves in my house with knock off crap and inferior baked goods! NO ONE!!!!!!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Ok. If your going to go overload on your day, that's up to u. But there are a few of us that would like a healthier option! Some ppl act like it's a butter adding competition! "I used 7 sticks! " no, I'm trying to get the word out that u don't have to run to Wal-Mart and invest in boxed crap, that is y I posted this! If u have a a problem with it, get the f!ck off! Don't do it. But believe it or not, there are ppl that would like a better option! I KNOW I'm not alone!

Ok that was pleasant.... lol People that are not advocating your healthy alternatives probably like me have recipes handed down from generations that are normally only made this one day a year (my moms dinner rolls, my sisters green bean casserole, my grandmother potato salad, my moms pecan pie and iced apple pie, all of whom have passed on and these recipes are made in honor of them). Alot of us are saying it is 1 day and one day will NOT Wreck a diet unless you have other issues that you can't adhere to getting right back on track the following day... My game plan has been up at 6 and hit the Gym for a Great Workout and home to enjoy a fun filled day with Family and Friends and Food. Then get up the day after and get back to business as usual...... It hasn't altered my weight loss in the least..... but no need to get testy, enjoy your holiday...... :drinker:

Pff. Says the guy with hardly any weight loss. What do YOU know?
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    LOL, I read this thread and was wondering how long it would take for the "its only one day, eat what you want" replies would take. First reply. Anyways, I agree with you OP. If there are ways to make things lower calorie/fat i'm all about it. Sure i will eat more than normal on Thanksgiving but I also dont want to wipe out my entire week of deficit either. I dont have anything to share because we visit in the inlaws and aren't expected to bring anything since it IS an 8 hour drive LOL. But if i were doing a thanksgiving at home i would be looking for the same types of recipes you are.

LOL...'cuz what's really funny is that people who are able to see the big picture like that tend to be the most successful both in RE to losing and maintaining a healthy weight.

Guess I just don't see the big deal In her wanting to make lower calorie thanksgiving options. Who's it hurting? Are you eating at her house? Shrug.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LIGHT CROCK POT SWEET POTATOES

6 medium (2 lbs.) sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into ½” cubes
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar (or Splenda mix)
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted

Total Time: 3 hours (on high)
    1. Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
    2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
    3. Sprinkle with nuts.

Dish these up with a slotted spoon….that way you can limit the applesauce.

I'm going to have to print this, my fiance don't like them and they are awesome! Ty
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LOL, I read this thread and was wondering how long it would take for the "its only one day, eat what you want" replies would take. First reply. Anyways, I agree with you OP. If there are ways to make things lower calorie/fat i'm all about it. Sure i will eat more than normal on Thanksgiving but I also dont want to wipe out my entire week of deficit either. I dont have anything to share because we visit in the inlaws and aren't expected to bring anything since it IS an 8 hour drive LOL. But if i were doing a thanksgiving at home i would be looking for the same types of recipes you are.

LOL...'cuz what's really funny is that people who are able to see the big picture like that tend to be the most successful both in RE to losing and maintaining a healthy weight.

Guess I just don't see the big deal In her wanting to make lower calorie thanksgiving options. Who's it hurting? Are you eating at her house? Shrug.

Thank you. Appriciate it. After getting attacked that is.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as we all know, in the United States, Thanksgiving is right around the corner! 24 days from today, we will mostly all be indulging in family, friends and good food, some of us, will be dining afterwards on cocktails to ease the pain from the family members!

This may be a hard day for some of us, the family, friends, gains, losses through out the year. We ned to try to make it as easy as we can. For us on this site, it may be particulary hard on the eating and portion control. I thought that if this got out, and we can make it as popular as possible, maybe we can do something to "soften the blow" of the day so we don't wake up the next morning with regrets from having that second slab of pie or helping of yams!

Here is what I would like to propose: a thread that is out there for people to use (with recipes or links) for making healthier, lower calorie, lower sodium, lower/fat free holiday yummies! what made me think of this, I LOVE stuffing, I am going to admit it, I could and have eaten a entire pot of stovetop stuffing! the Easter when I was pregnant, I did. I just recently started to notice that salt is not always "light" on the lower sodium foods. So I would like a recipe for low sodium stuffing. All the bagged stuff is "low sodium" only by a bit, I still feel like I am licking a salt block!

Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with the traditional turkey, stuffing green bean casserole and pumpkin pie candied yams, and such treats that we don't have through out the rest of the year. So, one thing I am doing for my family of 3, is instead of trying to make enough to feed us three days, im going to make "bite sized" pumpkin pies and mini lemon meringue pies. Another idea that I have floating around is make the turkey breast with the injectable butter instead of flooding him with 5 sticks of butter! And, I also used to use "canned green beans and corn" this year, im going to do it all with fresh or frozen goodies!

So come on down! Tell us your ideas! im sure that if you have a "grandmas favorite ___" we can use it or flip it into a healthy treat!

You do know that one day of eating likely will only derail the weak minded who can't get back on track, right?

Sure you could make mashed potatoes with chicken stock instead of cream and butter, but you lose a lot by doing so. Same with almost all dishes you wish to "healthify". Personally I'd just eat your favs with no healthy tweaks, but that's just me
    Amen brother....I am eating my face off that day...lol...BUT of only the things I truly want...I will sacrifice by working out everyday
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It's been pretty horrible to you in here. All of these people trying to advocate a less stressful approach to holiday eating, these people telling you to not sweat the small details and see the big picture.

It's like they're trying to beat you bloody with turkey legs! All of these horrible attacks!
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well-for some real advice like you asked...
    First off - do not inject your turkey with butter!! If you want a nice moist turkey - brine it! Get a disposal brine bag - available most stores - and easy brine for a 15 lb turkey:
    2 cups COLD water (make sure it is cold!!)
    2 cups COLD apple cider (many brines call for sugar, but is you use apple cider - skip it)
    3/4 cup coarse or kosher salt
    herbs of your choice - I like sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon
    1 small sweet onion - chopped
    4 cloves garlic - chopped
    3-4 stalks of celery - chopped
    Place the fresh (or thawed - NOT FROZEN!!!) turkey, all non-liquid ingredients into the brine bag. Add apple cider. Add enough water as needed to cover turkey - expell as much air as possible and seal brine bag. Brine in the fridge for 24-48 hours prior to roasting.

When roasted, this will make your turkey very juicey and flavorfull, and no it wil not significantly add salt to your dish. As an added bonus, I put cut-up apples in with the tureky to raost - then use the pan drippings to make gravy - has a nice appley-fall flavor!.

2nd - ditch the stove top please. Most grocery stores sell stuffing bread already cut-up and dried. Saute some celery, onions, and fresh sage in a little chicken broth (add apples if you want it to go with the turkey). Mix all together and bake - delish. Of course, you can always add anythign you personally like to the dressing.

3rd - home made cranberry sauce:
    1 1/2 lbs cranberries
    2/3 cup orange juice
    deskinned segments from 2 oranges
    dash of cinnamon
    dash of cloves
    Place all of the above in a sauce pan - heat medium for about 30 min - stirring occasionally - until cranberries "pop". continue to cook for 20-30 min more until thickened.
    Alternates:
    add 1/4 cu orange liqour 1/2 through cooking - adds nice flavor undertones, and the alcohol cooks out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/lightened-up-thanksgiving-recipes.html

I'm right there with you, OP. It's only us this year actually so we get to eat what we want, and we'll have leftovers for a week, so the full calorie stuff is just not an option. Just not sure what we're going to do yet. I'm not too fond of stuffing though so I might just let hubby make the normal one, and I'll try healthier sides.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as we all know, in the United States, Thanksgiving is right around the corner! 24 days from today, we will mostly all be indulging in family, friends and good food, some of us, will be dining afterwards on cocktails to ease the pain from the family members!

This may be a hard day for some of us, the family, friends, gains, losses through out the year. We ned to try to make it as easy as we can. For us on this site, it may be particulary hard on the eating and portion control. I thought that if this got out, and we can make it as popular as possible, maybe we can do something to "soften the blow" of the day so we don't wake up the next morning with regrets from having that second slab of pie or helping of yams!

Here is what I would like to propose: a thread that is out there for people to use (with recipes or links) for making healthier, lower calorie, lower sodium, lower/fat free holiday yummies! what made me think of this, I LOVE stuffing, I am going to admit it, I could and have eaten a entire pot of stovetop stuffing! the Easter when I was pregnant, I did. I just recently started to notice that salt is not always "light" on the lower sodium foods. So I would like a recipe for low sodium stuffing. All the bagged stuff is "low sodium" only by a bit, I still feel like I am licking a salt block!

Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with the traditional turkey, stuffing green bean casserole and pumpkin pie candied yams, and such treats that we don't have through out the rest of the year. So, one thing I am doing for my family of 3, is instead of trying to make enough to feed us three days, im going to make "bite sized" pumpkin pies and mini lemon meringue pies. Another idea that I have floating around is make the turkey breast with the injectable butter instead of flooding him with 5 sticks of butter! And, I also used to use "canned green beans and corn" this year, im going to do it all with fresh or frozen goodies!

So come on down! Tell us your ideas! im sure that if you have a "grandmas favorite ___" we can use it or flip it into a healthy treat!

You do know that one day of eating likely will only derail the weak minded who can't get back on track, right?

Sure you could make mashed potatoes with chicken stock instead of cream and butter, but you lose a lot by doing so. Same with almost all dishes you wish to "healthify". Personally I'd just eat your favs with no healthy tweaks, but that's just me

This right here.

In September for our anniversary my wife and I went to lunch at Cheesecake factory, went shopping, then to a movie, then to a steak house for dinner. I blew my calorie goal by a solid 5K. End of the world? Nope, in fact, by the following Friday I was down another 1.8 pounds. I don't get why people are so terrified of food. I intend to go way overboard on Thanksgiving, I'll annihilate my calorie goal before the word Pie is even uttered, I'll do it again with the pie, then I'll have some leftovers before bed just for giggles, and I'll do all that with a smile on my face. I encourage everyone on here to do likewise.

Rigger
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Nobody is attacking anyone...you are getting sound advice...bigger picture thinking helps in developing healthy relationships with food which is essential if you want to actually be healthy, maintain a healthy weight...and also enjoy the finer things in life.

Also, I don't see anything particularly "unhealthy" about a traditional thanksgiving meal...that in and of itself indicates that you probably have all kinds of food phobia and unhealthy relationships with food. Calories are not indicative of "healthy" or "unhealthy"

Nobody is trying to be mean...just trying to be real.
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on a cheat meal. Not the whole day anyway. I will not allow left overs in my house. I will mindfully eat and log everything. It is what it is.
  • jennetwrjr
    jennetwrjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gonna eat my *kitten* off and then get back on the program Friday. Feel sorry for those who can't give themselves a little reprieve on the one true American holiday. My rationale is that I've been doing hard cardio 4 x week, weights 3 x week, and eating clean and in the right amount -for the most part :). It's time to take a one day break. Can't wait- got some serious mac and cheese coming my way!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The only reason I am not going to eat myself into a food coma this year is because my finals are earlier this year, Dec. 5th. I'm gonna need to be able to wake up the next day....and be able to retain what I'm reviewing

So lots of leftovers for frozen meals...which will be helpful for finals week.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how many people here hate happiness and delicous food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how many people here hate happiness and delicous food.

pgna6.jpg