Can someone please explain "Clean Eating"

Options
_KitKat_
_KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
I keep seeing it everywhere. I am trying to make a life style change that includes the gym (I love the gym), mostly lifting and strength training with some cardio and circuit thrown in. I am also trying to eat my proper calories (always under, trying to get my metabolism where it should be) and hit my macros.
I mean no judgement to anyone but for me to make a change it has to be in moderation and sustainable for life. 90% of my meals are home cooked, not because of a theory but because I love good food and I am a damn good cook. I use real butter and olive oil, and almost nothing that says low fat. I consider myself a relatively "clean" eater. I love fruit, veggies and whole foods. I am asking an honest question because without other health concerns (mother-in-law was diabetic...I understand her extreme dietary change) what does "clean eating" mean?
Also what is with the "what do you regret that you ate" threads? Life is too short for regrets, unless it makes me feel sick...then I will regret it lol.
I am hoping with lifting and maintaining my bodies caloric intake, I will have the results I want.
I mean no harm, just interested in opposing view points. Heck maybe my plan won't work and I will need a completely different diet plan. Hopefully not, depriving myself would not seem sustainable for the long term.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Oh ****, here we go again...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ask Jeeves
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    Honestly not trying to stir up anything. I just really want to know what people mean by the term.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Good luck getting the same definition from any two people. Personally, I think you are on exactly the right track. :flowerforyou: I've been doing it (IIFYM/flexible dieting) for 15 months, have llost 123lbs and have never felt deprived or had any regrets.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one can explain it, because it means something different to everyone.

Rest assured, no matter how "clean eating" is defined, there are no health benefits to "clean eating." In all its forms, it is an exclusionary diet that demonizes foods that are perfectly fine and aims to make you feel guilty for giving into things you love to eat.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is making sure you obey the 5-second rule, unless your kitchen is nasty dirty, in which case throw that ish out immediately :laugh:
  • gmrgirl
    gmrgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Asking what "clean eating" means is opening a can of worms, everyone can have one (or many) opinions on it.

I tend to look at clean eating as "eating natural foods". To that end, I spend most of the time grocery shopping in the produce section, meat counter, fish monger and the like.

I can't claim to be a "damn good cook" but "Some crazy crap tonja made up" feeds the family well most days. I prefer to prepare food using ingredients that are minimally processed. I (obviously) don't butcher my own meats or grow my own foods (though I would like a garden again) so I use the counters at my local mega mart or farmers market for those goods.

I avoid processed foods where I can. I try to love by "If I didn't prepare it, do I really need to eat it?" way of life.

That being said, I do agree that life is moderation and if you're going to indulge, it had better be over something that you LOVE and ENJOY. So, to that end, I do love, and enjoy my candy corn (yup, its true). My roomie makes some fabulous homemade candy corn and I indulge in a few pieces every day for a few days (6 pieces, 4 days) a year.

I don't exercise to eat. I exercise to beat asthma, get stronger, look good in spandex and be healthy. I eat to feed my body so I can be healthy.

*shrug* That's my take. It's by no means the "one right way" nor does it work for everyone. It works for me. I hope it helps explain what one person means when they say "clean eating"
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It means... whatever you want it to mean. Usually how it works is someone arbitrarily picks which foods are OK and which are not. To make it more interesting, no 2 people will agree on which foods are good and bad. Foods a, b, and c are all terrible and will kill you, and foods x, y, and z are amazing and will make you 10x healthier, but in reality they are all "healthy" in the right contexts and amounts.

It means nothing.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As you've already seen, there are lots of definitions for "clean eating." However, I think most people will agree that "clean" means eating foods that are minimally processed and close to their natural state. Beyond that, you will get lots of variations. For one person it may mean eating only raw fruits and veggies. For another "clean" may include lots of meats and dairy as well. Highly processed foods with lots of chemicals, high fructose corn syrup, colors, preservatives, etc. would not be considered "clean" except by some of the clowns around here. :tongue:
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    Asking what "clean eating" means is opening a can of worms, everyone can have one (or many) opinions on it.

I tend to look at clean eating as "eating natural foods". To that end, I spend most of the time grocery shopping in the produce section, meat counter, fish monger and the like.

I can't claim to be a "damn good cook" but "Some crazy crap tonja made up" feeds the family well most days. I prefer to prepare food using ingredients that are minimally processed. I (obviously) don't butcher my own meats or grow my own foods (though I would like a garden again) so I use the counters at my local mega mart or farmers market for those goods.

I avoid processed foods where I can. I try to love by "If I didn't prepare it, do I really need to eat it?" way of life.

That does help, I am mostly a clean eater by that definition because I am extremely picky about my food and prefer to make it myself. I just do not limit myself and did not understand the benefits to those that do. With all the mentions of "clean eating" I also wasn't sure if I was just totally missing what it was.
    Clean eating is making sure you obey the 5-second rule, unless your kitchen is nasty dirty, in which case throw that ish out immediately laugh
    My kitchen is clean, but I do have a English Mastiff that is in and out of the house all day long, so NO 5 second rule here...may get dog hair, slobber or mud on it....defiantly not clean:noway:
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Aw heck, I'll throw my hat in the ring here...

To me, clean eating means not highly processed. But I drink milk on occasion and obviously that's processed, and being from Wisconsin, I am a cheesehead, and cheese is obviously processed. So...that being said, I guess my idea of "clean" foods is shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoiding anything that comes out of a box or a can, I guess. That's not to say those foods are "bad" for you or will hurt your diet, but I don't consider them to be "clean".

So I guess my definition of clean foods means staying away from fast foods and pre-made/highly processed foods that contain a lot of preservatives. Right, wrong or otherwise, that's my take. Glean from it what you'd like. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I am not for nor against eating "clean". That's just how I would define it. Now..."cheat meals" on the other hand... that's a whole new can of worms. :tongue:
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No one can explain it, because it means something different to everyone.

Rest assured, no matter how "clean eating" is defined, there are no health benefits to "clean eating." In all its forms, it is an exclusionary diet that demonizes foods that are perfectly fine and aims to make you feel guilty for giving into things you love to eat.

This
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating clean is when you take a shower before eating. Also I think some people say you need to wash your fruits/veggies before eating them, or else it isn't ''clean eating''
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Oh, for heavens sake people, stop making such a fuss!

Clean eating generally means eating whole foods---avoiding processed foods, or at least trying for minimally processed ones.

In that same vein, it often means trying for organic or natural food, to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in many foods. And carrying it one step further, it can mean generally avoiding processed foods that are "junk" foods, low in nutrition, such as sugar, refined flour (most breads, for example).

Clean is a relative term because few people do ALL of those things. It's not, with few exceptions, a religion. And it's a rare person who isn't going to indulge in some desserts or a bit of fast food now and then. Clean refers more to a habit, a move toward more whole and wholesome foods, rather than an absolute you-must-do-this-or-that all the time.

There's nothing wrong with clean eating as thus defined. Yes, you can lose weight on any diet, reallly. But research is finding more disease and other health problems related to highly processed food, so it's good not to make that one's major way of eating.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh, for heavens sake people, stop making such a fuss!

Clean eating generally means eating whole foods---avoiding processed foods, or at least trying for minimally processed ones.

In that same vein, it often means trying for organic or natural food, to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in many foods. And carrying it one step further, it can mean generally avoiding processed foods that are "junk" foods, low in nutrition, such as sugar, refined flour (most breads, for example).

So it generally means focusing on things that have no influence on weight and health instead of things that do.

Got it.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating clean is when you take a shower before eating. Also I think some people say you need to wash your fruits/veggies before eating them, or else it isn't ''clean eating''

^THIS
    I try to make sure all my food is washed before I consume it. I even go so far as to rinse the salad mixes I buy even though they already say "triple washed".
    Do this and all your problems will vanish and your weight loss will progress 100% faster.
    :laugh:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I like to think I know what went into the food I am eating. Here in Britain and the rest of Europe many of our supermarkets have been sent into a real state because horse meat got into products which were being sold as beef products etc. I know some people like to eat horses but at least you have the right to choose to eat horse, not to have it substituting for something it is not and then pay over the odds for the dubious products.

Making your own meals from scratch is the only way to be sure what went into it. and before any one asks I do grow some vegies.

Clean eating, self preservation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

So no butter (not a whole food) or skim milk (not a whole food) or bacon (processed) or coconut oil (processed)?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Here you go.

1233366_578297902207453_666327116_n.jpg