Can someone please explain "Clean Eating"

Options

Replies

• RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means only putting food in your mouth that isn't covered in dirt and stuff. Like grease.

Unless it's bacon grease. Then it's awesome.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is eating natural unprocessed foods. The closer a food is to the way it is found in nature, the cleaner the food. The less man has altered or affected a food, the cleaner it is.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Oh, for heavens sake people, stop making such a fuss!

Clean eating generally means eating whole foods---avoiding processed foods, or at least trying for minimally processed ones.

In that same vein, it often means trying for organic or natural food, to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in many foods. And carrying it one step further, it can mean generally avoiding processed foods that are "junk" foods, low in nutrition, such as sugar, refined flour (most breads, for example).

So it generally means focusing on things that have no influence on weight and health instead of things that do.

Got it.

Try doing some research instead of digging further into your ideological ignorance and you might actually learn something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is eating natural unprocessed foods. The closer a food is to the way it is found in nature, the cleaner the food. The less man has altered or affected a food, the cleaner it is.

So nothing at all from farm animals, then, is that correct?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Clean eating generally means eating whole foods---avoiding processed foods, or at least trying for minimally processed ones.

In that same vein, it often means trying for organic or natural food, to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in many foods. And carrying it one step further, it can mean generally avoiding processed foods that are "junk" foods, low in nutrition, such as sugar, refined flour (most breads, for example).

So it generally means focusing on things that have no influence on weight and health instead of things that do.

Got it.

Try doing some research instead of digging further into your ideological ignorance and you might actually learn something.

Oh snap.

Maybe you should educate me with some links to peer-reviewed scientific articles that show a benefit to eating organic and that "antibiotics and hormones in many foods" are harmful.
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've never used the term, but I think it means you eat whole unprocessed foods, including whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid processed packaged foods, stay away from food with lots of additives and dyes, diet sodas, etc. A gal at my husband's office would think it meant never use a sauce, etc. as well. But, we have a passion for cooking good food and I love mixing spices, using healthy oils, including olive oil and butter, vinegars etc. In my book, I would consider you eat 'clean'. Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Got it.

Oh snap.

Maybe you should educate me with some links to peer-reviewed scientific articles that show a benefit to eating organic and that "antibiotics and hormones in many foods" are harmful.

No definitive evidence that something causes heatlh problems =/= "have no influence on weight and health "

There was a time when there was no evidence that trans fat or smoking was detrimental to health.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

So no butter (not a whole food) or skim milk (not a whole food) or bacon (processed) or coconut oil (processed)?

No bacon!!!
    That is just asking too much, and would never be sustainable for me.

I am thankful for all the reply's, it is good to see what some mean by the term. Personally i am in the middle, common sense seems to work for me. If I liked soda, I could easily drink all of my calories in a day and be starving and most likely diabetic. Personally I could never feel guilt over what I eat, that just seems too superficial to me....plus I don't do guilt, too blunt of a person. The comments on the outer ring of the grocery store, I find funny because I have no clue whats in what aisle at my local store because we normally only shop on the outer ring of the store.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Honestly not trying to stir up anything. I just really want to know what people mean by the term.

It is very broadly defined and different people have different thresholds of "clean" which is why these threads get all stupefied.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Got it.

Oh snap.

It's interesting that a few here ask others for "peer-reviewed scientific articles" to corroborate their positions (normally, an understandable request).

It's also worth noting that these are often the same individuals who post anecdotal (and unverifiable) info about their own health, in order to support their lifestyle choices.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    "clean eating" for me is whole foods, the less processed, the better. whether or not there is any science behind if it's better for you or whatever, i don't know, but i do know that once i cut out ingredients that i can't pronounce or recognize as an actual item of food, i started feeling much better, more energy, less illness in general. this applies to my kids as well. *knocks on wood* cold and flu season don't seem to hit our family as bad as it did before we started eating real food.

for me, it also means shopping locally, from local farmer's markets. while it might be inconvenient to not get strawberries in the dead of winter, the strawberries in the produce dept of the grocery store over winter were flavorless and gross anyways. rather than looking at what's not available at different times of year, i've learned to appreciate what IS in season, and the variety i find at our state farmer's market never leaves me wishing for more.

additionally, it means knowing your meat producer. i am on a first name basis with the people who raise my beef, chicken, and pork, as well as those who supply me fresh-caught fish off our coast. i know the animals i'm eating were pasture raised and not fed a diet of GMO corn and other nonsense they weren't designed to digest, and not pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. i've literally 'met' my bacon and watched it frolic in the pasture where it's being raised. there's something to be said about the satisfaction that comes from dining upon an animal you know was raised humanely, and let me tell ya, chicken that isn't mass-processed and injected with saline is so incredibly delicious, it's hardly recognizable when compared to the big name chickens.

removing highly processed/refined items from my lifestyle has also eliminated my cravings for junk food, which is something i battled for quite a long time. i do believe i was a food addict of sorts, and eliminating the trigger foods from my plate resulted in not even having the desire for them.

it's not for everyone, but it's definitely a lifestyle i enjoy and intend to keep around for the remainder of my life. :flowerforyou:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Oh snap.

Not to play devils advocate, and I do not personally avoid these foods, but saying antibiotics in our meat has no effects is incorrect. here is an article in the Huffington post concerning the CDC [url] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/antibiotic-resistance-in-meat-cdc_n_3953938.html [/url]
    Over use of antibiotics can cause resistance in bacteria...basic evolution. As for Hormones, I haven't seen the data but have you seen the teens now a days and there are reports of girls hitting puberty at a much younger age. My oldest daughter is 5' 6" and 118lbs with a c-cup...she is 13 and looks like I did when I graduated ( except she is taller).
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Yes, eating clean is when you take a shower before eating. Also I think some people say you need to wash your fruits/veggies before eating them, or else it isn't ''clean eating''

This is awesome^^ LMAO
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ahh....I love it when people set 'minimally processed' and 'closer to nature' restrictions on food.

So you don't eat any bread. 'cause even if I grew my own wheat and milled it myself, it'd be still pretty highly processed. Unless, you know, you have a baguette tree out back.
    What about hamburger? I could kill and butcher the cow myself, but I'd have to process the meat to get ground beef. Hmm, guess I'm stuck with steaks if I wanna eat clean.
    You must not eat pasta, or cheese, or milk for these same reasons. Or yogurt. They undergo quite a few processes to get created.

Rice and beans? Because they have to be processed to get to you in a shelf-stable form.

Even all-natural honey goes through processing.

Bottom line: if you feel you need to 'eat cleanly', start by choosing foods that don't come pre-made and frozen in cardboard, wrapped in plastic. Gather the basic ingredients and make it yourself. Many frozen foods have lots of ingredients that increase taste (MSG), or make it more shelf-stable. Maybe you feel those are substances you don't want in your body. Maybe you don't care.

Stop with the 'processed' madness.
  • PatriNina
    PatriNina Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    16j0dpt.jpg
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ahh....I love it when people set 'minimally processed' and 'closer to nature' restrictions on food.

So you don't eat any bread. 'cause even if I grew my own wheat and milled it myself, it'd be still pretty highly processed. Unless, you know, you have a baguette tree out back.
    What about hamburger? I could kill and butcher the cow myself, but I'd have to process the meat to get ground beef. Hmm, guess I'm stuck with steaks if I wanna eat clean.
    You must not eat pasta, or cheese, or milk for these same reasons. Or yogurt. They undergo quite a few processes to get created.

Rice and beans? Because they have to be processed to get to you in a shelf-stable form.

Even all-natural honey goes through processing.

Bottom line: if you feel you need to 'eat cleanly', start by choosing foods that don't come pre-made and frozen in cardboard, wrapped in plastic. Gather the basic ingredients and make it yourself. Many frozen foods have lots of ingredients that increase taste (MSG), or make it more shelf-stable. Maybe you feel those are substances you don't want in your body. Maybe you don't care.

Stop with the 'processed' madness.

Chill dude. She just asked for a definition of the term.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I honestly enjoy eating this way, just as some folks honestly enjoy eating Little Debbie snacks or what have you. What gets old is when people argue over the semantics of what 'clean' is, or what 'processed' is. Truth is, everyone has their own level of what is acceptable, and unless we're buying their groceries, there's no reason to get in an uproar over anything, yet that usually does tend to happen unfortunately.

I'm sure there are some clean eaters out there that don't eat bread unless they milled the grain themselves, etc. That's hardcore. For me and my family, we eat as close to nature as possible, with minimal additives. Olive oil and butter? You betcha! What is the ingredients of butter? Cream and salt, if you use salted butter. That, to me, is minimally processed. Olive oil, same thing. Coconut oil? Heh, we don't use that as food, but we've got a jar of it for...other reasons :D

Cereal? No. Oatmeal? Yes. Pasta, rarely. Rice, every day, paired up with a lean protein and a healthy fat.

So, sure, there are hardcore folks out there that eat stuff that's super duper minimally processed. It's not for me. I feel good about the items in my cabinets and fridge, and I'd be proud to open my door to any nutritionist, doctor, or similar professional, and not feel guilty, embarrassed, or ashamed of what they might find. As long as they didn't find my coconut oil. LOL

Unless, you know, you have a baguette tree out back.
    That'd be so awesome. Or a potato roll tree, even better. LOL
    Bottom line: if you feel you need to 'eat cleanly', start by choosing foods that don't come pre-made and frozen in cardboard, wrapped in plastic. Gather the basic ingredients and make it yourself.

LOVE THIS! This is where I began, and it's finally at the point that it's second nature. The kids don't expect to see store bought junk in the cabinets, and look forward to my weekly batch of whatever, which is usually some sort of whole wheat cookie *gasp* A clean eater making cookies?!?!?! LOL Again, it's a matter of personal preference. I'd much rather give my kids some cookies I made with pasture-raised butter, whole wheat flour, palm sugar, free range eggs than grab a box of cookies off the shelf laden with chemicals and preservatives. They've learned to respect the home baked goods as well, ie: they really enjoy them, but know that once they are gone, they are gone for the week until it's baking day again, so they regulate and rather than ask for more cookies, they grab an apple or persimmon instead. :)
  • chickennugger13
    chickennugger13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To me it means as little processed food as possible.
    Fruits and vegetables, nuts, brown rice, etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    i know the animals i'm eating were pasture raised and not fed a diet of GMO corn and other nonsense they weren't designed to digest, and not pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

Here's the thing - and I say this as one of those people doing the raising of free-range animals (I "grow" bacon so good our friends have renamed October to "The Aporkalypse") - pasture raised animals are a strictly human invention.

Cows are not natural - wild buffalo are natural. Pigs are not natural - wild boar is natural. This becomes evident when you look at the nutritional content of the resultant meat - cow/pig is completely different from bison/boar. There are two principal reasons for this, one being selective breeding (i.e., cows are, effectively, a human invention, slow-motion GMO, if you like) and the other comes from lifestyle - animals were never meant to be in an enclosed pasture protected from predators, and their physiology (i.e., their "meat") changes as a result.

Something like milk is even worse - it doesn't matter how GMO or hormone-free your supplier is, the reality is that a cow in a permanent state of lactation is leading a completely unnatural life. And this, too, shows up in the nutritional profile - the milk of a naturally-lactating cow is completely different than that of Bessy "I've been pumping for 2 years" Belle from down the road.

Again, I couldn't care less what people eat. Those are personal choices, and we all have the right/obligation to make them for ourselves. I do, however, have a big problem with the notion of "clean" vs unclean food, as I have yet to see a coherent definition.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like this websites definition. http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/the-clean-eating-diet-whats-it-all-about.html#b
    this is really hard to do! I am trying to eat clean but its a slow process and unfortuantly is not going as good as I want it to lol. My old standbys like special k crisps and protein shakes from GNC, don't qualify lol. Try to make dinner only clean but its not easy. Hats off to those that can actually do it!