Maintenance, constipation and saturated fat

Options
Hi everyone,

I loose around 5.5 kg and now I am in maintenance step from 2-3 weeks ago. Before that I check my saturated fat and kept it as low as I could and now the MFP suggest me 1550 Kcal per day for being maintain and the saturated fat goal is 17 gr.
I have a serious constipation problem and it really bother me. I have taken lots of fibre, water, fruit, vegetables and... also medical treatment but non of them have worked. My stomach blow up like a balloon after putting anything on my month :((
It is getting worst since I started eating more cal to be maintained and I actually feels I am gaining weight again however the scales doesn't show anything. so :
- I am afraid of eating saturated fat and as the amount is increased to 17 ( I always keep it near/under the goal) does anyone think it may cause gaining weight (fat) again? :(
- Does anyone has constipation problem like me and nothing's worked for her/him? any suggestion?
- I still have a little bit lower belly fat (baby fat) and I have no idea what to do. Should I continued my diet or only focus on my workout?

I work out everyday but each time I look at my blown stomach and the baby fat which is still there, it makes me crazy :((

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If I recall saturated fat goal is a percentage of total calories. You can read about saturated fat but recent literature has indicated it's probably not the boogeyman it's been made to be,

More dietary fat may help your problem, including saturated fats like coconut oil. If that concerns you try some olive oil. Too much dairy is also known to causes tummy trouble. Grain in general does cause intestinal problems in a small percentage of population. It may be worth trying dropping those from your diet for a few weeks. You might want to try to search paleo or primal site for more info Try Marks daily apple or robbwolf.com

It may be helpful to try some probiotics
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    fat is a goal you TRY to hit.

saturated fat is a goal you try to stay AT or UNDER.

from the person above, i recommend probiotics to everyone. they are good for so many many things.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    also fat doesn't make you gain wait. fat is a very important part of your diet. however, saturated fat is not the good kind and should be avoided/not have large quantities.

i am to eat 35% fat per drs orders. most days i never have a problem hitting my fat goal and still staying under for saturated fat. i have blood tests to prove what i am doing has no negative impact (actually very positive in fact).

if you are eating a lot of already prepared foods or things like cheeses, etc... you will end up with more saturated fat. if you have been logging to lose here and are on maintenance, you should have an idea of what kinds of foods have what macros by now.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband has a similar problem. You might try looking at your food diary and measuring your belly every day for a while to see if there are things that are triggering it. Although my husband doesn't have food 'allergies', he does have things that make him bloat up like a woman who is 9 months pregnant. It is quite remarkable and has all the symptoms you describe.

For him, it's gluten (a little fine, two pieces of bread or a bottle of beer is not) and too much fat. It's not calories. It's just bloat. He had serious diverticulitis because of chronic irritation from those two food types and eventually wound up losing a foot of his intestines.

I would also note that probiotics (daily kefir and/or yogurt) can really help you maintain a good balance of intestinal flora. It really helps. You can also ask your pharmacist for something similar in pill form, although I don't think it works as well.

Good luck!
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was trying so hard to eat fiber fruits and veggies to help with constipation turns out it was making me feel worst. I would check into Fructose malabsorption. It might not be the answer but worth reading up on

Symptoms:
    Bloating (from fermentation in the small and large intestine)
    Diarrhea and/or constipation
    Flatulence
    Reflux
    Stomach pain (as a result of muscle spasms, the intensity of which can vary from mild and chronic to acute but erratic)
    Vomiting (if great quantities are consumed)
    Early signs of mental depression
    Nausea

Foods with high fructose content[edit]

According to the USDA database,[13] foods with more fructose than glucose include:

Foods to be avoided if you have

Apples
    Pears
    Fruit juice
    e.g. Apples,
    Pears
    Watermelon
    Raisins
    Honey
    High fructose
    corn syrup
    Mango
    Agave nectar
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    Thank you so much. You completely describe all the problems I have. I should check the gluten free products to see if it works...
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    Thank you so much for your useful information. Actually I eat honey and apple almost everyday. Also oatmeal for breakfast.

I was trying so hard to eat fiber fruits and veggies to help with constipation turns out it was making me feel worst. I would check into Fructose malabsorption. It might not be the answer but worth reading up on

Symptoms:
    Bloating (from fermentation in the small and large intestine)
    Diarrhea and/or constipation
    Flatulence
    Reflux
    Stomach pain (as a result of muscle spasms, the intensity of which can vary from mild and chronic to acute but erratic)
    Vomiting (if great quantities are consumed)
    Early signs of mental depression
    Nausea

Foods with high fructose content[edit]

According to the USDA database,[13] foods with more fructose than glucose include:

Foods to be avoided if you have

Apples
    Pears
    Fruit juice
    e.g. Apples,
    Pears
    Watermelon
    Raisins
    Honey
    High fructose
    corn syrup
    Mango
    Agave nectar
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    Good suggestion. As MFP suggest me, I take maximum 50gr fat and 17gr saturated and I have no idea if it is too much or not.
    I only use olive oil for making food. Also I use 2 slice of bread and never eat red meat and rice. pasta 2 times per week - 80gr each time- with vegetable sauce and the main course I almost choose is chicken breast and vegetables like broccoli. (grilling, broil or stir-fry ). Half a banana, one apple, carrot and around 10 gr of honey everyday. oatmeal as breakfast or corn/whole wheat cereal. 1 TBS peanut butter, skim lactose free milk. cottage cheese and 0.5 fat Greek yoghurt. a slice of gouda cheese -17 gr- every other day. ice-burg lettuce - 2 cups- with lemon juice, don't eat fast foods and I am fan of cinnamon and black paper and use it in everything I eat. and this is my whole diet. (( I don't eat all these things in a day, I mean these are the things I mostly eat))
    I have a sweet tooth so I always bake everything at home to check the calories and most of the time I use low cal recipes. This is all about my diet. I really have no idea what is the problem when I blow up even when I drink something...

My husband has a similar problem. You might try looking at your food diary and measuring your belly every day for a while to see if there are things that are triggering it. Although my husband doesn't have food 'allergies', he does have things that make him bloat up like a woman who is 9 months pregnant. It is quite remarkable and has all the symptoms you describe.

For him, it's gluten (a little fine, two pieces of bread or a bottle of beer is not) and too much fat. It's not calories. It's just bloat. He had serious diverticulitis because of chronic irritation from those two food types and eventually wound up losing a foot of his intestines.

I would also note that probiotics (daily kefir and/or yogurt) can really help you maintain a good balance of intestinal flora. It really helps. You can also ask your pharmacist for something similar in pill form, although I don't think it works as well.

Good luck!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Natural (live) yoghurt is really good. I don't always eat it but if I'm suffering constipation or bloating, I take a couple of large spoonfuls. I should really be in the habit of eating it daily as when I eat it every morning at breakfast (just 70g with honey and almonds added) I feel so much better for it.

I've also recently begun drinking the juice of half a lemon in warm water each morning. This is rumoured to be good for digestion although I've yet to notice its effects.

The suggestions about avoiding bread may well be appropriate, I don't know. What I've noticed is that I get the worst bloating ever from eating apples. Pears do the same but to a lesser degree. I just avoid them entirely now which is sad for me as I love them.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    what's your water and fibre intake like?
  • sammydeer
    Options
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was just going to add a comment about water. Water retention will make you bloat like crazy, and the cure for that is drink lots of water. Enough water will help with the constipation too.
  • rosemary98
    Options

i second this. It has changed my life (okay, a bit overly dramatic). check out the reviews on amazon.

NOTE: there is a liquid form of magnesium citrate that is a serious laxative (as in empty your bowels before surgery laxative). This is NOT the same thing. The pills/capsules are what work to keep one regular.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383689810&sr=8-1&keywords=magnesium+citrate
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The kind of symptoms you are having sound pretty severe! I would try cutting out all of the usual suspects: dairy, gluten, and the apples and see if you feel better. Then add them back one at a time, with a good chunk of time built in. You can google "Elimination diet for allergies." You may be able to pinpoint the worst offenders.

For me, it's onions. I literally will look 6 months pregnant, and if I eat them before bed, I will wake up and vomit. It's terrible and painful.

If your gut has been messed up for a while, it could take some time to heal. I hope you figure it out. Sounds terrible!

Edited- typo
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Fructose mal-absorption is rare, I'd start with cutting out gluten first ... oatmeal has gluten ...
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I loose around 5.5 kg and now I am in maintenance step from 2-3 weeks ago. Before that I check my saturated fat and kept it as low as I could and now the MFP suggest me 1550 Kcal per day for being maintain and the saturated fat goal is 17 gr.
    I have a serious constipation problem and it really bother me. I have taken lots of fibre, water, fruit, vegetables and... also medical treatment but non of them have worked. My stomach blow up like a balloon after putting anything on my month :((
    It is getting worst since I started eating more cal to be maintained and I actually feels I am gaining weight again however the scales doesn't show anything. so :
    - I am afraid of eating saturated fat and as the amount is increased to 17 ( I always keep it near/under the goal) does anyone think it may cause gaining weight (fat) again? :(
    - Does anyone has constipation problem like me and nothing's worked for her/him? any suggestion?
    - I still have a little bit lower belly fat (baby fat) and I have no idea what to do. Should I continued my diet or only focus on my workout?

I work out everyday but each time I look at my blown stomach and the baby fat which is still there, it makes me crazy :((

I also wanted to add a note about bloating. i was experiencing bloating for no apparent reason. i went to two doctors--a regular GP and my gyno. both advised I try excluding one or both foods from my diet: milk and gluten. Both said they would start with milk. I wasn't much of a gluten eater anyway, so that wasn't an issue. I cut the milk products out--yogurt, milk, cheese. It made a big difference for me. Just one girl's experience. See above for my constipation recommendation.
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    4-5 glass and 3-4 cups of tea/coffee , how ever I just find out that when I drink coffee, I don't feel good! :(

what's your water and fibre intake like?
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    Yesterday I made a tea using this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_alexandrina

I think it is the same thing as you suggested and it works. But I heard that this kind of remedies effect the normal activities of the bowel for long time. Not sure if it is so...

i second this. It has changed my life (okay, a bit overly dramatic). check out the reviews on amazon.

NOTE: there is a liquid form of magnesium citrate that is a serious laxative (as in empty your bowels before surgery laxative). This is NOT the same thing. The pills/capsules are what work to keep one regular.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383689810&sr=8-1&keywords=magnesium+citrate
  • shelerance_f
    Options
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. I should try it.
    The kind of symptoms you are having sound pretty severe! I would try cutting out all of the usual suspects: dairy, gluten, and the apples and see if you feel better. Then add them back one at a time, with a good chunk of time built in. You can google "Elimination diet for allergies." You may be able to pinpoint the worst offenders.

For me, it's onions. I literally will look 6 months pregnant, and if I eat them before bed, I will wake up and vomit. It's terrible and painful.

If your gut has been messed up for a while, it could take some time to heal. I hope you figure it out. Sounds terrible!

Edited- typo
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made a tea using this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_alexandrina

I think it is the same thing as you suggested and it works. But I heard that this kind of remedies effect the normal activities of the bowel for long time. Not sure if it is so...

This ^ exactly and may I say I use the "NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate Powder" it is very cost effective vs. pills. I have to use 1 & 3/4 dose to achieve a good result. I split my dose in to two servings. You are to start by using the recommend dose for a few days then increase until you acheve the BM you desire.
    http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder-Ounces/dp/B004189JCW/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_7