Double Standard

Options
walleyclan1
walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
I consider sometimes that I treat men in a way that would not be considered acceptable if a man acted that way towards a woman. For example:

1) At a bachelorette party, we played a game where you were awarded points based on the difficulty of the dare(s) you performed. Being a competitive person, I went straight for the highest point dare which was get a guy to give you some of his pubes, bonus points if they were blonde or gray (gross I know). I scanned the room, found the blondest guy I could, bought him a beer, made small talk, then asked him if I could have some of his pubes. He considered for a split second, then went to the men's room and returned with pubes in toilet paper. I turned them in to the scorekeeper and scrubbed my hands and then thanked him. If a guy asked me for my pubes, I would probably find the nearest bouncer....

2) At a Slipknot concert, a guy kept walking in front of me to go get beers or whatever. After about 6 times, I finally slapped him on the butt and told him to stop getting in my way. He laughed, apologized, and started walking behind me to get his beers. If a strange guy slapped me on the butt, what would I do?

What are your thoughts on this double standard I seem to possess?

Replies

• TheBackStory
    Options
    You need to take it like you dish it out. Plus it's more fun that way!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I'm busy laughing at #1 with my fiance right now lol.
    For #2, haha.. *Smack* I bet.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    I won by the way.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I won by the way.

Hahaha, awesome!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself but I think the difference lies in the fact that as a man I would not feel threatened by your actions, whereas a woman might feel like she was at risk of being physically harmed if a man did those things to her. Having said that I would not give you my pubes and I'd probably laugh in either circumstance.

Just my .02 worth.
  • the_naP
    Options
    You can do this and get away with it because you are mildly attractive. If some gutter pig tried the same things you did, the results would assuredly be different.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I consider sometimes that I treat men in a way that would not be considered acceptable if a man acted that way towards a woman. For example:

1) At a bachelorette party, we played a game where you were awarded points based on the difficulty of the dare(s) you performed. Being a competitive person, I went straight for the highest point dare which was get a guy to give you some of his pubes, bonus points if they were blonde or gray (gross I know). I scanned the room, found the blondest guy I could, bought him a beer, made small talk, then asked him if I could have some of his pubes. He considered for a split second, then went to the men's room and returned with pubes in toilet paper. I turned them in to the scorekeeper and scrubbed my hands and then thanked him. If a guy asked me for my pubes, I would probably find the nearest bouncer....

2) At a Slipknot concert, a guy kept walking in front of me to go get beers or whatever. After about 6 times, I finally slapped him on the butt and told him to stop getting in my way. He laughed, apologized, and started walking behind me to get his beers. If a strange guy slapped me on the butt, what would I do?

What are your thoughts on this double standard I seem to possess?

It's wrong... you really shouldn't DO THAT...

*sticks *kitten* out* ...

no really don't DO IT...

:blushing:
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    I can only speak for myself but I think the difference lies in the fact that as a man I would not feel threatened by your actions, whereas a woman might feel like she was at risk of being physically harmed if a man did those things to her. Having said that I would not give you my pubes and I'd probably laugh in either circumstance.

Just my .02 worth.

I guess that is my justification for the double standard. I am physically harmless to 96% of men. I feel I am a good sport if a guy is hitting on me or being crude, but I draw the line and physical contact that could be considered at all sexual.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    Well you pointed out the difference already. It's not necessarily a double standard because the average guy doesn't seem to mind that kind of stuff. What did the guy do when you asked for his pubes? He gave them to you! And when you slapped the other guy's butt? He laughed! If these guys minded it'd be a different story. It's like how men can't hit women but women can hit men. Sure it's a "double standard" but....you can't deny there is a difference between guys and girls.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    I am reading "mildly attractive" as "wildly attractive" fyi
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You can do this and get away with it because you are mildly attractive.

A little overboard with the compliments there buddy :laugh:
  • FatHuMan1
    Options
    Well you pointed out the difference already. It's not necessarily a double standard because the average guy doesn't seem to mind that kind of stuff. What did the guy do when you asked for his pubes? He gave them to you! And when you slapped the other guy's butt? He laughed! If these guys minded it'd be a different story. It's like how men can't hit women but women can hit men. Sure it's a "double standard" but....you can't deny there is a difference between guys and girls.

Uh, yeah, no. Women shouldn't hit men either.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    I agree women shouldn't hit men either. Also, I guess if I ever smacked a guys butt and he was offended or angry, I would have to accept that I did cross a line and that it was his right to be upset by it and possibly even call a bouncer on me...
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    No they shouldn't, no one should hit anyone. But there IS a difference between a guy slapping a girl across the face and a girl slapping a guy across the face.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Cool story hun, but my sandwich isn't making itself. :smile:
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    Cool story hun, but my sandwich isn't making itself. :smile:

https://online.jimmyjohns.com/ lol. Freakishly fast dude!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Less talky more fetchy!
  • FatHuMan1
    Options
    No they shouldn't, no one should hit anyone. But there IS a difference between a guy slapping a girl across the face and a girl slapping a guy across the face.

Please explain what the difference is.
  • missmelt
    missmelt Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    All i can say is I love being a woman.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    The difference is in most* cases (not all but most) a guy can do a lot more damage to a girl than a girl can do to a guy. Guy's are just bigger and stronger, that's just biology. Don't get me wrong, women should not hit men any more than men should hit women but the consequences are different. Most men would also agree with me that men just shouldn't hit women. I was just using it as an example of how men and women are different and are held to different standards.