how to cook spaghetti squash? and your fav recipes?

Options
jillianbeeee
jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
Had some spaghetti squash at a restaurant last week and LOVED it! so I ran out and bought one. Okay, now how the heck do I cook it? lol. What are your favorite recipes with it?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Bake it face down in about 1/2 an inch of water at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Then all you have to do is scoop out the insides with a fork. It's SO easy!

I usually eat mine with some homemade avocado pesto.

1 avocado
    1/4 cup fresh basil
    3 tsp lemon juice
    1 clove garlic
    salt and pepper to taste

then just throw that in the blender or food processor and you have a topping! I also like to add some fresh mozzarella or parmesan on top when I'm done. Enjoy!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    LOVE this recipe! It's a great video, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLl3YpJCbfA
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to cook it is to pierce it in several places with a knife and microwave until it's soft (5-7 min usually, depending on size). Then cut in half, de-seed and use a fork to remove the threads.

It's good plain, or with any pasta sauce. I also like it tossed wtih parmesan cheese, or with olive oil and fresh peas. It also makes a good replacement for noodles in a stir fry.

And it is awesome with mushroom / white wine sauce. Serve that with grilled chicken breast for a low cal alternative to chicken marsala.
  • nmhanna
    Options
    Thanks-I was wondering about that too!
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    great ideas !
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I love it....

I usually cut in half length wise, remove seeds, place in micro dish with an inch of water, micro for 10 mins.

When cools, remove threads

1 C. Squash
    1/4 C. Mozzarella cheese
    1/2 C. Unsweetened Almond milk
    Diced Chicken Breast
    Salt and Pepper
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I first did spaghetti squash by baking face up with no water in the pan...LESSON LEARNED. It wasn't bad but the texture wasn't quite right. Bake face down with some water in the pan like a PP said after cutting in half length wise and scooping out seeds. I then made a sauce with ground sausage, tomato sauce, some black olives, and mushrooms with some garlic, black pepper, and a little salt.
  • love2read1220
    love2read1220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this and love it too!
    But I did cook my face up and liked the texture.. it was a little more crispy then facedown in pan of water.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Think I'll try it this weekend! Thanks for the cooking tips :smile: Does spaghetti squash go better with a cream sauce or marinara?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Think I'll try it this weekend! Thanks for the cooking tips :smile: Does spaghetti squash go better with a cream sauce or marinara?

I like it with either, though I generally prefer red sauce to cream sauce in general. But my favorite with squash is mushroom sauce or pesto.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just made the skinnytaste spaghetti squash and cheese.... It was sooooo good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I cook it face down with a bit of olive oil. It's a bit crispy and delicious. I guess I could try with water...
  • tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I actually have a pan of this in my fridge right now...just had some for lunch! It's yummy!! The kids love it as well :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i stab mine and nike it for up to 10 minutes. let it cool, cut in half and scoop guts out then shred out the squash. go to skinnytaste.com for some good recipes (cheesy spaghetti squash and another spaghetti squash bake made with marinara sauce, ricotta and mozzarella)
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    Make sure you microwave it before you try to cut it or be careful with the knife as it's really difficult to cut through! I baked mine face down for 45 minutes at 400 degrees(I had a rather large squash) and served it under a baked chicken parmesan tonight that I made with a low sodium marinara sauce and fat free cheese.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I actually have a pan of this in my fridge right now...just had some for lunch! It's yummy!! The kids love it as well :)

It is BEYOND amazing. I am going to make it as a side dish for the holidays as a lower carb option.

I loved that you can throw a spaghetti squash in the crockpot because cutting one of those things can be a bit dangerous. I just threw my squash in the crockpot with 1/2 cup of water for 2 -3 hours. Cut like a dream.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question but would substituting a spaghetti squash for a butternut squash or some other sort of gourd-like vegetable work? They don't seem to be available where I live but I really want to try this! :bigsmile:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Jackson's Spaghetti Squash (from The Biggest Loser). Yummy!!!

Jackson’s Sassy, Saucy Spaghetti Squash
    (Makes 4 Servings)

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti Squash
    8 oz Ground Turkey or Turkey Sausage
    2 Cups Low-Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
    ½ Large Onion, Diced (I prefer red)
    1 ½ cup Sliced Mushrooms
    3 Cups Baby Spinach
    4 Tbs. Mozzarella Cheese (Optional)
    Garlic
    Salt & Pepper

Per serving:
    Calories: 252
    Total fat: 6.4 g
    Sat Fat 2g
    Carb 30 g
    Fiber 6g
    Sugars 17g
    Protein 21g
    Cholest. 43mg
    Sodium 332 mg

This is my favorite recipe and I eat it almost every day on the ranch. It is packed with nutrient dense vegetables and is a great source of fiber. It’s also very low in calories so you get a lot of bang for your buck.

1. Cut either end off of the spaghetti squash. Cut it in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out all of the guts. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap and throw in the microwave for about 10 minutes.

2. While your squash is cooking, begin to brown the turkey and sauté your onions and mushrooms. Season with salt and garlic.

NOTE: Most chefs will tell you to do cook your meat and vegetables in separate pans. I, however, hate doing dishes and, therefore, choose to ignore most chefs.

3. Once your turkey is brown add the spaghetti sauce and spinach to the pan. Cook until the sauce is hot and the spinach has wilted down.

4. While your sauce is heating up, take your spaghetti squash and begin to shred it with a fork. If it doesn’t shred easily, put it back in the microwave until it begins to fall apart.

5. Put 1cup of shredded squash with 1 cup of the turkey/sauce mixture On a plate. Top with one Tbs. of Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper if desired. Serve with a GENEROUS portion of steamed veggies or a side salad (my favorite is steamed broccoli
  • RosieRoscoe
    RosieRoscoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and then place cut side down in 1/2 inch of water and microwave on HIGH for about 7 minutes. Use a fork to loosen the 'spaghetti' and then scoop out. I top a good size serving with low-cal salsa. It is delicious and has a fraction of the calories of spaghetti sauce. Enjoy!