how to cook spaghetti squash? and your fav recipes?

Options

Replies

• tmariethomas5
    Options
    The avocado pesto sounds delicious!
  • mi2ak2co
    mi2ak2co Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump... Great recipes
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always come back to just butter. Spaghetti squash has such a subtle sweet flavor and is so low in calories itself, that salted butter is about all it needs. What else can you eat with a few pats of butter and still be low calorie?

Sometimes less is more and definitely true here.
  • gomezeureka
    Options
    Very informative, please keep this post updated. thanks!
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have one in my fridge, now I have a great reason to get it baked!! :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question but would substituting a spaghetti squash for a butternut squash or some other sort of gourd-like vegetable work? They don't seem to be available where I live but I really want to try this! :bigsmile:

I would say no, not butternut squash or other winter squashes. Although spaghetti squash is a winter squash, it taste more like a summer squash. The best substitute IMO would be very thinly sliced lightly steamed zucchini (just steamed enough to soften so it falls in ribbons).
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites from South Beach Diet.
    I've never found a 1lb spaghetti squash, so I usually end up getting the smallest one at the store and doubling everything else.
    It makes enough for two servings for dinner and a side for lunch for several days.
    Italian Style Spaghetti Squash
    INGREDIENTS

1 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    1/2 small lemon, sliced
    DIRECTIONS

Place the squash halves, cut sides down, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/8 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until tender; cool slightly.
    Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes until the zucchini begins to brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes.
    Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a bowl. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Mound the squash in the center of 4 pasta bowls and spoon the vegetable mixture around the squash. Drizzle with more oil, if desired, and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if using. Add the lemon slices.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Saving these recipes for later!

Does the texture change if you microwave it vs. baking it?
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much all for all the great recipes! Going to cook it tonight, wish me luck! :)
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    LOVE spaghetti squash! I cut mine in half...clean out the seeds and microwave until it is soft.

I cooked some cherry tomatoes with garlic and olive oil yesterday and tossed it with the cooked squash along with some crumbled Parmesan. I did the same thing today except I used sun dried tomatoes (I was out of fresh).
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. slice it in half, remove seeds. Olive oil, salt and pepper bake cut side down 350 1 hour
    I put meat sauce, just like spaghetti with noodles. Awesome
  • rhonda966
    rhonda966 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I saw a low carb recipe using zucchini. It was scooped out and topped like pizza with meat cheese marinara... or whatever you like! sounds good!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I pierce it a few times, then cook it whole. Once softened, cut in half, remove the seeds, and use a fork to pull the flesh out. It will come out like strands of spaghetti. I top with a sauce made with fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, and fresh basil.
  • ConnieKay1
    ConnieKay1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can pierce these a few times, then put it in the microwave on the potato setting. Once cool, slit and scoop out seeds. Shred the squash out with a fork. Then put a little olive oil in a pan, whatever veggies and seasoning you like and serve it with a piece of baked chicken or fish topped with a small amount of your favorite cheese. Very filling.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Saving these recipes for later!

Does the texture change if you microwave it vs. baking it?

IMO it doesn't change it.
  • brittanynicole_86
    brittanynicole_86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
    1 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds scooped out
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion, sliced
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon thyme
    3/4 cup sour cream
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Place the squash flat side down in a dish with 1/2 inch water, microwave for 10-15 minutes.
    Cook the onion in the butter, add thyme and red pepper. Cook until brown.
    Use a fork to scrape the insides of the squash out into a bowl. Add onions, sour cream, and half the cheese. Mix well.
    spread into a greased casserole dish, top with rest of cheese. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until squash is cooked,and it's brown and bubbly.
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Easy Healthy Alfredo:
    cooked spaghetti squash
    jar light alfredo sauce (there are a bunch of different brands)
    cut up rotisserie chicken.
    Done.

if you want to get real adventurous, cook some onions and mushrooms before hand and add them!