I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Sports Nutrition and for part of my research assignment, I watched a youtube video on obesity rates in Ireland, and then this video came up in the youtube suggestions, to those who "don't care" about the obesity epiedemic, I really think you should watch this.
    This is happening right now, all over the world. Some of you have made points about, "not giving such harsh opinions on others lives" & "tax dollars", but when this is happening in the world, it is everyones business.

Some of the people in this documentary, say that they have no health complaints, I'm sorry, but If you depend on others to do everything for you, you can't move more than a few steps and are bed bound, I don't care what your cholesterol level is, those right there are major health complaints.

According to the World Health Organisation, Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

It should be a goal for all to reach a level of optimum health and nutrition, because you are reading this on MFP, then you are most likely making some good choices in life to reach these levels. Nobody should want to/feel they have to gain weight to feel happy or loved. It's wrong on so many levels.

I could rabbit on for so long on this topic. I'm going to leave it here and just post the video, make up your own minds on it, but at the end of the day, obesity is a problem, for all of us, and it is, sadly, not changing any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxFn1IqHo4
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Some of the people in this documentary, say that they have no health complaints, I'm sorry, but If you depend on others to do everything for you, you can't move more than a few steps and are bed bound, I don't care what your cholesterol level is, those right there are major health complaints.

Well obviously that's a problem. Are you suggesting that someone who is 50 pounds overweight is the same kind of ticking time bomb that a homebound morbidly obese patient is?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In fact, I'm sick of reading/hearing about it everywhere. I don't care if you weigh 100 pounds or 500 pounds. I don't care what you eat. I don't care how much you eat. I don't care how often you eat.

You're kinda self-centered, eh? You should, like, get into everyone's business and make it a point to tell them what to do.

Agreed! How could others POSSIBLY live if we don't tell them how!
    Also, to make SURE we aren't self-centered, we have to take everything anyone says as a personal attack. If we don't, how will these forums maintain their entertainment value?
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.

This ... ESPECIALLY if their parents are so unbelievably obese too that you just KNOW are setting their children up for a complete disaster. I'm like just because you made bad decisions in your life, why inflict them on your kids. Education is paramount here as well.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Sports Nutrition and for part of my research assignment, I watched a youtube video on obesity rates in Ireland, and then this video came up in the youtube suggestions, to those who "don't care" about the obesity epiedemic, I really think you should watch this.
    This is happening right now, all over the world. Some of you have made points about, "not giving such harsh opinions on others lives" & "tax dollars", but when this is happening in the world, it is everyones business.

According to the World Health Organisation, Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

It should be a goal for all to reach a level of optimum health and nutrition, because you are reading this on MFP, then you are most likely making some good choices in life to reach these levels. Nobody should want to/feel they have to gain weight to feel happy or loved. It's wrong on so many levels.

I could rabbit on for so long on this topic. I'm going to leave it here and just post the video, make up your own minds on it, but at the end of the day, obesity is a problem, for all of us, and it is, sadly, not changing any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxFn1IqHo4

Unless you're the one taking care of the bed ridden "fatty" then it doesn't affect you. So I call bs on the sweeping statement that obesity is everyone's problem. Seriously, tell me how me weighing 400 lbs in Illinois affects you?
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    well in the UK here we all pay a fortune to the NHS - and the overweight people are the ones with health issues clogging up the system. So yes - it affects us.
    it also affects us if we are parents and we want our children to grow healthy and strong and don't want them to think its ok to be obese and inactive - we want good examples and education around our kids.
    we live in a society. Its ridiculous to say what we all do doesn't have flow on effects to each other.

No wo/man is an island, as they say!
  • arcana7609
    Options
    well in the UK here we all pay a fortune to the NHS - and the overweight people are the ones with health issues clogging up the system. So yes - it affects us.
    it also affects us if we are parents and we want our children to grow healthy and strong and don't want them to think its ok to be obese and inactive - we want good examples and education around our kids.
    we live in a society. Its ridiculous to say what we all do doesn't have flow on effects to each other.

No skinny people with health issues? The UK must be a magical place. Just the fatties "clogging" the healthcare system with their fat. So I can't be fat because your kid might think it's ok to be fat? Seriously? In other words fat people are bad because their ruining your idea of what society should be?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

No skinny people with health issues? The UK must be a magical place. Just the fatties "clogging" the healthcare system with their fat. So I can't be fat because your kid might think it's ok to be fat? Seriously? In other words fat people are bad because their ruining your idea of what society should be?

It's not about individuals. When 30+% of the entire population is overweight or obese then yes it affects kids' (and adults') perception of what is normal. You can see it on this forum when people who are still overweight are told by their families that they're getting too thin (while they're stil overweight). It skews perceptions.
  • arcana7609
    Options

It's not about individuals. When 30+% of the entire population is overweight or obese then yes it affects kids' (and adults') perception of what is normal. You can see it on this forum when people who are still overweight are told by their families that they're getting too thin (while they're stil overweight). It skews perceptions.

From my perception there is nothing wrong with being fat. Fat is a decriptor like being tall or short. Blaming fat people for little juniors perceptions is insane. We're bombarded every day in the media with fat hysteria I don't see how any kid in the world could see fat as anything but a vile disease ravaging the world.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

From my perception there is nothing wrong with being fat. Fat is a decriptor like being tall or short. Blaming fat people for little juniors perceptions is insane. We're bombarded every day in the media with fat hysteria I don't see how any kid in the world could see fat as anything but a vile disease ravaging the world.

So you don't mind then that many won't outlive their parents...?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

more then 65% of the adult population in the UK is overweight or obese
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

more then 65% of the adult population in the UK is overweight or obese

why u hatin on potatoes?
  • arcana7609
    Options

So you don't mind then that many won't outlive their parents...?

Nope not at all. We all live and die by our choices. Also, being overweight or obese doesn't automatically give you a death sentence. I know it's fun to think it does. My mom is 73 and weighs 300lbs. She has two jobs and has no major health isssues including the dreaded "diabetes". I know lots of old fat people who live their lives and navigate the world just fine and *GASP* contribute to society. The level of ignorance and prejudice on these boards boggles my mind. I think it's great to eat healthy and work out, it's why I am here, but I don't think it's necessary to hate myself or other fat people in order to be healthy. I also don't think I need to be thin to be healthy either.

I think it's just as ignorant to assume all fat people are unhealthy as it is to assume all skinny people are healthy. There are statistics...since you're all fond of throwing them around like man hole covers, that show that fat people who eat healthy and exercise are healthier than skinny people who are sedentary and eat junk food. Being fat increases your risk of certain diseases, but it doesn't mean you automatically get them. That's what risk means. Like not all smokers get lung cancer...it's just they are more likely too etc.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with being obese? Ok then. I guess you also grew up around a lot of overweight/obese people. To be clear, I'm not prejudiced against fat people. But it's not good to be fat and you won't convince me of that. Maybe I think that way because I grew up around fit athletic people.
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just don't think obesity should be the norm. The UK released larger mannequins, while yes, it represents the average woman but what if the average woman gets even bigger? To the point where it's dangerous? Will we just shift ideals then too? You shouldn't fat-shame people.But you also shouldn't promote obesity as it is a health risk. Not how it isn't called the "fat and ugly" epidemic. There are clinical reasons to worry when more than a third of americans are overweight
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think it's just as ignorant to assume all fat people are unhealthy as it is to assume all skinny people are healthy.

Don't be an idiot; no one is saying that.
    There are statistics...since you're all fond of throwing them around like man hole covers, that show that fat people who eat healthy and exercise are healthier than skinny people who are sedentary and eat junk food.

I adore how in the first sentence you get on people's *kitten* in the thread for generalizing then DO EXACTLY THAT in the next sentence
    Being fat increases your risk of certain diseases, but it doesn't mean you automatically get them. That's what risk means. Like not all smokers get lung cancer...it's just they are more likely too etc.

That doesn't make smoking any less stupid.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Your obesity has an affect on my life because my insurance rates will be higher because you will require more medical care. People are starving and you are stuffing yourself. You are taking up more resources than necessary. A fat person doesn't appear to value themselves or they would take care of their body. I was one of the worst offenders - a high of 356 insecure pounds and I lost over 200 pounds and it was only after I saw that I was deserving of a healthy fit body.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The rising rates of obseity make me feel like we are turning into the people in Wall-E. They just lie around in hover lounges for life.

Beyond that, people's personal choices and their relationship with food and their body is just that. Theirs.

When it effects me, and it has effected me, I will and have say something. Otherwise. Meh.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    In fact, I'm sick of reading/hearing about it everywhere. I don't care if you weigh 100 pounds or 500 pounds. I don't care what you eat. I don't care how much you eat. I don't care how often you eat.

Seriously people, why the hell does it even matter? It's like everyone's forgotten that underneath all that subcutaneous fat is an ACTUAL person -- someone who has goals and ambitions, feelings and emotions, and families and friends JUST LIKE YOU. We aren't just sacks of ooey gooey yellow fat to pitied for or disgusted by.

How does your curvy/chubby/fat/obese neighbor affect you?

I didn't read anything but this, and I HOPE it's been said 1000 times now.
    1) obesity KILLS
    2) doctors will put off non-emergent surgery, indefinitely, if your BMI is high....dooming many people to a life of 'curable' pain or leading to a worsening of such due to non-treatment, because the issue itself is non-life-threatening, but obesity....under anesthesia...IS.
    3) healthcare dollars WASTED on a mostly-preventable "disease" (I am a healthcare professional, and I only consider it a "disease" in a rare few who have proven metabolic disorders)
    4) It has been proven over and over again that, by and large (pardon the pun?), healthy-weight people suffer less depression / suicide / mental illness (often due to the euphoric effects of routine exercise / sex /etc)
    5) Fertility is higher in non-obese patients
    6) Gynecologic issues are LOWER in non-obese patients
    7) Social experiments have proven over and over that "fatism" DOES exist in the Job market and that you are MORE likely to be successful in business / employment at a normal weight (yes, it sucks, but it's human nature and it's true...sorry)
    8) etc, etc, etc, etc

edited for typos...stupid fingers
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Well obviously that's a problem. Are you suggesting that someone who is 50 pounds overweight is the same kind of ticking time bomb that a homebound morbidly obese patient is?

can't exactly see a 50lb overweight person needed assistance to use the bathroom or wash themselves... what was your point again?