I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean they're any more healthy. Skinny people have medical problems and die everyday too, did you know?"

no, as a skinny person I have no medical problems that will cause me to die. Healthy or not, I won't die from something like diabetes or anything caused by obesity.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people should mind their own business and focus on their weight. Honestly. Obese people know their obese.

Health is important, but our taxes go to unhealthy people because of their bad decisions every day. Drinking, drunk driving, smoking, people who don't exercise, etc... are some of the other unhealthy people you are paying for. So why only attack the obese?

Those skinny people who live off of doritos and pizza and don't exercise? You're paying for them just as much as the obese. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean they're any more healthy. Skinny people have medical problems and die everyday too, did you know?

You talkin' about me? :huh:
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Love to read all these "stats say blahblahblah" replies from people who are too ignorant to truly understand the facts. Put down the remote and stop watching FOX please, thanks.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I kind of have an issue with hearing about the 'obesity epidepmic' is that BMI is used to determined who is obese and who isn't. Have a look at mybodygallery.com

I am 5ft2.5 for someone my height 75kg(165lbs) is obese.

You can enter those stats for comparison. There are clearly people in that size who look to have a lot of fat around their middles and look like they probably don't do exercise. But there are (quite a few) who are obviously fit and active and probably quite healthy.

So there should be a better measure that classifies people who are overweight to a point of compromising their health.

There has also been a study recently showing that people who are overweight have a lower mortality rate than those with a healthy BMI and those who are underweight. (Mostly due to the preponderence of people who are overweight but fit). There are also studies showing that overweight people deal with stress better (and most of those who pay tax dollars would be put under a reasonable amount of stress in their workplaces.

I am not sure about the algorithms used, but are underweight individuals penalised as much by insurance companies as those who are obese?

5.2 and 165 is obese. Sorry.

The other issue we have is people not understanding what healthy even is. They look at themselves, their friends and family, all of whom are obese, and conclude that that is normal. It's not normal, it is fat, overweight, obese, large, what ever you want to call it. I see and hear so many people these days with super distorted view of what a healthy body looks like. If you show them a normal healthy body, they will say that they look anorexic or way too skinny. This, to me, is a huge issue.

:explode: :angry: :explode:

did you actually look at the site I mentioned to check the variation in size at that weight?
    at that weight I was a US size 10/ Medium (Australian Size 12-14 http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm)

Marilyn Monroe was supposedly a size 14 Right?
    do you think she was obese too?

YOU - are a huge issue :huh:

I am morbidly obese now - My goal is to get to the top of my healthy BMI range and at that point I will re-*kitten* things, but when I statistically fell into obese according to BMI I had no health issues at all and my waist was 73cm which is very far away from the 88cm risk level.

Actually Marilyn Monroe was very small. (33 inch waist? Not even close.) The sizes today have been "vanity" sized. Additionally, different brands are completely different sizes even when they are supposedly the same size. For instance, I am a size 12 in some brands and as high as 18 in others. Yet another way that we are deluded into thinking that we are healthy instead of obese.

PS. a pet peeve: obesity does not CAUSE diabetes, rather both are symptoms of the same disease. Just because obesity occurs first, does not equal causation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Love to read all these "stats say blahblahblah" replies from people who are too ignorant to truly understand the facts. Put down the remote and stop watching FOX please, thanks.

LOLsinglingoutonenetwork

Nope, no possible bias in your statement.

No need to explain yourself any further. You've already said more than enough for me to make my own assumptions about you.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I kind of have an issue with hearing about the 'obesity epidepmic' is that BMI is used to determined who is obese and who isn't. Have a look at mybodygallery.com

You can enter those stats for comparison. There are clearly people in that size who look to have a lot of fat around their middles and look like they probably don't do exercise. But there are (quite a few) who are obviously fit and active and probably quite healthy.

So there should be a better measure that classifies people who are overweight to a point of compromising their health.

There has also been a study recently showing that people who are overweight have a lower mortality rate than those with a healthy BMI and those who are underweight. (Mostly due to the preponderence of people who are overweight but fit). There are also studies showing that overweight people deal with stress better (and most of those who pay tax dollars would be put under a reasonable amount of stress in their workplaces.

I am not sure about the algorithms used, but are underweight individuals penalised as much by insurance companies as those who are obese?

The other issue we have is people not understanding what healthy even is. They look at themselves, their friends and family, all of whom are obese, and conclude that that is normal. It's not normal, it is fat, overweight, obese, large, what ever you want to call it. I see and hear so many people these days with super distorted view of what a healthy body looks like. If you show them a normal healthy body, they will say that they look anorexic or way too skinny. This, to me, is a huge issue.

did you actually look at the site I mentioned to check the variation in size at that weight?
    at that weight I was a US size 10/ Medium (Australian Size 12-14 http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm)

I am morbidly obese now - My goal is to get to the top of my healthy BMI range and at that point I will re-*kitten* things, but when I statistically fell into obese according to BMI I had no health issues at all and my waist was 73cm which is very far away from the 88cm risk level.

Umm no she wasn't a size 14 in today's sizes (and not even by sizes back then). If you really want to compare yourself to her, here are her range of measurements, supposedly according to her dressmaker:

"But if people demand numbers? They're certainly out there. According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D"
    http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    FYI obese people or fat people are not this way always due to food and being lazy....I was my biggest at 330lbs due to not being able to walk for 2 1/2 years due to a stupid woman not stopping at her left hand turn signal and demolishing my car along with fracture shattering my right leg. I get sick of people judging others for something they have no idea about!!! I have things that obese people do that irritate me. Like using the motorized carts at a store because they are too lazy to walk. This is truth because they get out of the cart in the end ( carts not allowed outside) and walk out with all there bags just fine!!

But it doesn't mean I hate them, or think they are any less. They just need to not use things not for them. I am more speechless to the fact they are calling obesity a "epidemic" or a "disease" give me a break to all that BS. It's not a disease, a disease is something that makes you sick or has a reason to being the way it is. Being obese and or fat is because you made poor food choices or have a true disease that makes your thyroid or other things in your body not work to help you break down foods.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.

Agreed, it's a huge part of the problem in the US regarding rising healthcare costs. Obesity, lack of exercise, healthy food choices.

Are any of you going to come into this post with?

1. A background in Healthcare Finance
    2. A statistic that isn't some number you regurgitated from an earlier post
    3. Any ability to understand statistics or math

Anyone?

Again, can anyone tell us what the across-the-board increase is to health care costs based on a 40% annual increase per obese person?

Please... someone do that.

Edit to add: Don't forget to add in the variables I suggested in my last post. C'mon smarties.. stop sipping your seaweed smoothies and tell us.

Jeff I can help you. I actually do have experience in these areas, but that information is practically useless at this point in the conversation. Made up numbers and reimagining of the law will very likely dominate a good 40-50% of the posts to come (see what I did there?) People will not account for any number of variables in the costs associated with basic health care. A good example of this would be the amount Highmark will pay for a patient to receive 2 aspirin versus the amount that the hospital will charge to government if the same dosage is given to a patient receiving Medicaid. No people will spout something they heard somewhere about it on some show, making math, facts and variable factors mostly useless from this point forward.

Here is what I can do for you:

Half A Sheet Of Dried Seaweed
    2 Kiwis
    Half An Apple
    1 Cup Of Cranberry Juice
    1 Tablespoon Of Honey
    Half A Tablespoon Of Flax Seed
    A Pinch Of Salt
    3-5 Ice Cubes

Seventy percent of obese individuals and 30% of underweight tweens will complain about spending 40% more on flax seeds from Whole Foods, more than any other grocer.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You should care about it. Obesity leads to early death. No one wants that.

When I FIRST started reading this thread I didn't.... now, well, I just don't know any more....

You just have to decide what you want America... do you want consumers - the obese people who buy all the stuff and eat all the stuff OR do you want healthy people who will cost you less in insurance? Which is more helpful to the economy? Are the people buoying it up worth the resources they're taking out? THAT'S the acid test, here.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Half A Sheet Of Dried Seaweed
    2 Kiwis
    Half An Apple
    1 Cup Of Cranberry Juice
    1 Tablespoon Of Honey
    Half A Tablespoon Of Flax Seed
    A Pinch Of Salt
    3-5 Ice Cubes

Ooh! Thanks for the recipah!
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean they're any more healthy. Skinny people have medical problems and die everyday too, did you know?"

no, as a skinny person I have no medical problems that will cause me to die. Healthy or not, I won't die from something like diabetes or anything caused by obesity.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Granddad did. Not screaming in terror like the passengers on the bus he was driving. :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.

This. Be educated before starting rants like this in MFP forums. It'll only lead to attacks ;)

Lol. Ditto to you. It's funny what people will do with math and statistics when they don't know how to use them.

Question for you (since you claim to be educated). What % cost increase across the board does that 40% increase per fatty translate to?

Surely you don't think that it translates to a straight 40% increase in health care costs accross the board right? I mean you are educated so you must know that.

If so.. what is the cost increase to us all that is attributed directly to obesity? That would be a number I am interested in. Could you please use your education to calculate that?

40% more for each fatty. How many fatties are we talking about? Do they all dip into that cost increase every year? How many of them have high deductible health plans? How many have an MCO or PPO plan? What about privately insured patients? How about the uninsured or undocumented free care pool? Also, give us the Medicaid number...

Please... educate us.

(Pro tip: Ignore every statistic you heard about and do some math. I can guarantee that 100% of the time, 50% of every statistic is a lie. Even this one)

OOOOOOOO burn!!!

smoked ya!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Well this post is a fun filled yellow bus of shortness.

*passes out helmets
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

No? Someone should tell that to the thin, supposedly healthy people that have diabetes. Like my cousin. Never overweight a day in his life but still severely diabetic.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Really so you can look deep in your body and know when your cells have congenital, oxidative or viral damage and had a terminal mutation to one of your gene sequences? Do you have like extra long telomeres or something? Cause that's pretty f'en cool if you can.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

LOLsinglingoutonenetwork

Nope, no possible bias in your statement.

No need to explain yourself any further. You've already said more than enough for me to make my own assumptions about you.

MAKE DEM ASSUMPTIONS, ilikeem.
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Really so you can look deep in your body and know when your cells have congenital, oxidative or viral damage and had a terminal mutation to one of your gene sequences? Do you have like extra long telomeres or something? Cause that's pretty f'en cool if you can.

Yep... I've been used for several studies at USF. This spring I will be back there for epigenetics.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Actually Marilyn Monroe was very small. (33 inch waist? Not even close.) The sizes today have been "vanity" sized. Additionally, different brands are completely different sizes even when they are supposedly the same size. For instance, I am a size 12 in some brands and as high as 18 in others. Yet another way that we are deluded into thinking that we are healthy instead of obese.

PS. a pet peeve: obesity does not CAUSE diabetes, rather both are symptoms of the same disease. Just because obesity occurs first, does not equal causation.

Not comparing myself to Marilyn Monroe but at obese weight as I mentioned my waist was 73cm
    33inches is 82cm

So as you say quite small well 10cm less than that is obese according to bmi calculations and she was only 3 inches taller than I am.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You should care about it. Obesity leads to early death. No one wants that.

When I FIRST started reading this thread I didn't.... now, well, I just don't know any more....

You just have to decide what you want America... do you want consumers - the obese people who buy all the stuff and eat all the stuff OR do you want healthy people who will cost you less in insurance? Which is more helpful to the economy? Are the people buoying it up worth the resources they're taking out? THAT'S the acid test, here.

Wait.

Obesity is an America-only problem?