I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have little sympathy for the women who cannot get pregnant because that is natures way of saying you are not fit for it.

You are a disgusting excuse for a human being. And THAT is a judgement I feel perfectly comfortable making.

Nice. Real nice. :angry:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Tax dollars. :grumble:

The position may be different where you are but in the UK I read a report last year which indicated that obese people, much like smokers, actually have a lower net cost to society than healthy individuals. This is for the reason they die sooner and long term care costs for the elderly far outstrip the higher health care costs that obese patients attract while they are alive.

The most pressing concern for western economies in this regard is an ageing population which is outstripping the replacement rate and which presents a tax burden that the younger generation it seems will simply be unable to support.

Old people need to start taking one for the team and dying sooner.

And don't get me started on those sports people who rack up huge healthcare costs when they suffer complex injuries and require restorative surgery. So selfish and avoidable...

Wow.

He's kidding. LOL!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have little sympathy for the women who cannot get pregnant because that is natures way of saying you are not fit for it. I have known many women to lose weight and find themselves pregnant, even with PCOS.

Hyper-judgmental much?!?!

You basically judged all women based on their ability or inability to conceive.

Only women who are capable of conception are apparently fit to be a parent. What about the crack mothers producing crack babies that they are dumping in trash cans? Why exactly has nature deemed them worthy?

Part of the problem with this whole stupid discussion is that people are establishing that the value of the individual is based solely on how much they eat and how much they exercise.

The judgmental attitudes on this thread are far more disgusting to me than the obesity epidemic.

Amen!!! I see FAR more skinny women that pop kids out like rabbits and they are not "FIT" to be a mother... I have often said I can't believer there are so many women out there that have no business having kids that just pop them out left and right while there are women that would be wonderful mother's that just cant conceive.... this comment was stupid and shows nothing but ignorance!!!!

ETS: I am overweight and I have PCOS and I have two children that are my life I have also had several miscarriages and problems conceiving in the past. I am not perfect and I am not "fit" physically but I am damn sure more "fit" mentally and psychologically than a lot these women poppin out all these crack babies every 9 months for a check:explode: ......ok rant over
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My statements were not meant for anyone to take personally. You had large babies. From the looks of it, you appear to be genetically a "big baby" maker. Some people just are.

I'm guessing that your children were healthy and your deliveries successful. That's not always the case.

I'm not "name-calling" newborns. I'm using "obese" is an adjective to describe a disproportionately large weight to length ratio AT ONE POINT IN TIME, not as a chronic condition.
    I think the main issue we have is with the person freaking out about her friends having an 11-pound baby, not so much with you. But it's still silly to label a baby as obese, since that term denotes something that is within someone's control and can lead to health problems. You just can't tell that about a newborn based on weight. Some babies are just born big and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. They're just big babies. If they weigh 80 pounds at 2 years old, there's a problem.

Really? So, explain to me how my stepmother had a 14.0lb baby when she is 5' 7", in perfect health, not one prepregnancy or during pregnancy problem/condition, she isn't a single pound overweight and gained exactly 14lbs during her pregnancy.
    He must have just been born randomly obese, right? We are so bad our children are being born obese (whatever!)
    So, today, he is tall, thin, healthy and strong and not an ounce overweight. His mother must have put him on a diet and made him run circles around his playpen I guess. That's how you fix an obese child, isn't it?
    So sad that he had to just be born that way.

calm down, there, tigger.
    the point of it was advocating educating pregnant and about to be pregnant women.

if that's your stick in your avatar, i hope you and your doctor have nice, long talks and he or she gives you wonderful care.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    edited to delete my comments.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should care about it. Obesity leads to early death. No one wants that.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My statements were not meant for anyone to take personally. You had large babies. From the looks of it, you appear to be genetically a "big baby" maker. Some people just are.

I'm guessing that your children were healthy and your deliveries successful. That's not always the case.

I'm not "name-calling" newborns. I'm using "obese" is an adjective to describe a disproportionately large weight to length ratio AT ONE POINT IN TIME, not as a chronic condition.
    I think the main issue we have is with the person freaking out about her friends having an 11-pound baby, not so much with you. But it's still silly to label a baby as obese, since that term denotes something that is within someone's control and can lead to health problems. You just can't tell that about a newborn based on weight. Some babies are just born big and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. They're just big babies. If they weigh 80 pounds at 2 years old, there's a problem.

Really? So, explain to me how my stepmother had a 14.0lb baby when she is 5' 7", in perfect health, not one prepregnancy or during pregnancy problem/condition, she isn't a single pound overweight and gained exactly 14lbs during her pregnancy.
    He must have just been born randomly obese, right? We are so bad our children are being born obese (whatever!)
    So, today, he is tall, thin, healthy and strong and not an ounce overweight. His mother must have put him on a diet and made him run circles around his playpen I guess. That's how you fix an obese child, isn't it?
    So sad that he had to just be born that way.

Birth size has little to do with final build. Both of my daughters were 18in long and 7 lbs. but my oldest is 95 percentile in height and should be 5'8" when she is an adult (currently 5'6" 118lbs at 13 years old). My youngest was a chunky, short healthy breastfed baby that is still on the tiny size when it comes to height 17th percentile and 60lbs. she is 10 and tiny, not skinny but very active and honestly wish I could have her build lol. As an adult my youngest they think will be about 5'1".

Obese children is completely a different subject than a chunky adorable healthy baby. Obese children (without other medical conditions) are a product of their home life and environment. They have no choice in their health and are being set up to fail without major changes in their futures. Also NO you do not
    put him on a diet and made him run circles around his playpen
    any pediatrician will tell you that if your child has too much weight on them to try to just keep their weight the same while they grow into it. My oldest would get a belly before her growth spurts, we just watched the junk and made sure she was active (swim team, running clud ect.). I like to believe that we taught our kids to have moderation in everything they do, my daughters are beautiful, smart (honor roll), well rounded and healthy so it obviously paid off.

Also I saw one comment that said "just because you are obese does not mean you have other health issues". That is just silly, like a smoker saying my lungs are perfect because I don't have cancer...this is coming from a smoker that is currently and has in the past tried many different things to quit....my lung x-rays are perfect, but I know I am damaging my body and setting a poor example for my girls (except they find it gross and watch me struggle to quit).
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.

This. Be educated before starting rants like this in MFP forums. It'll only lead to attacks ;)
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have little sympathy for the women who cannot get pregnant because that is natures way of saying you are not fit for it.

You are a disgusting excuse for a human being. And THAT is a judgement I feel perfectly comfortable making.

Oh, and the original sentiment was full of hearts and roses? Get real.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

This. Be educated before starting rants like this in MFP forums. It'll only lead to attacks ;)

Lol. Ditto to you. It's funny what people will do with math and statistics when they don't know how to use them.

Question for you (since you claim to be educated). What % cost increase across the board does that 40% increase per fatty translate to?

Surely you don't think that it translates to a straight 40% increase in health care costs accross the board right? I mean you are educated so you must know that.

If so.. what is the cost increase to us all that is attributed directly to obesity? That would be a number I am interested in. Could you please use your education to calculate that?

40% more for each fatty. How many fatties are we talking about? Do they all dip into that cost increase every year? How many of them have high deductible health plans? How many have an MCO or PPO plan? What about privately insured patients? How about the uninsured or undocumented free care pool? Also, give us the Medicaid number...

Please... educate us.

(Pro tip: Ignore every statistic you heard about and do some math. I can guarantee that 100% of the time, 50% of every statistic is a lie. Even this one)
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Agreed, it's a huge part of the problem in the US regarding rising healthcare costs. Obesity, lack of exercise, healthy food choices.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Through all of my struggles with my weight and being "obese" I have learned that the only person who has control over the problem is me. I made myself fat....i ate too much and didn't exercise. Can I blame it on genetics or medical problems-sure, but I choose not to. I don't know that anything would have made me stop the destructive behavior other than my own will to change. I guess if I was only given healthy food and forced to exercise then that would have worked. I try not to judge anyone except myself. What I can do, is offer help and motivation to anyone who wants it. I can't say how I feel about other people except that I hope they hit the point that I did and want to change their life.

I couldn't agree more. I think it has to do with personal responsibility. I'm obese (working on not being obese anymore, though!) and the only person I blame is myself. I could blame others, but what good would that do?
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Agreed, it's a huge part of the problem in the US regarding rising healthcare costs. Obesity, lack of exercise, healthy food choices.

Are any of you going to come into this post with?

1. A background in Healthcare Finance
    2. A statistic that isn't some number you regurgitated from an earlier post
    3. Any ability to understand statistics or math

Anyone?

Again, can anyone tell us what the across-the-board increase is to health care costs based on a 40% annual increase per obese person?

Please... someone do that.

Edit to add: Don't forget to add in the variables I suggested in my last post. C'mon smarties.. stop sipping your seaweed smoothies and tell us.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Are any of you going to come into this post with?

1. A background in Healthcare Finance
    2. A statistic that isn't some number you regurgitated from an earlier post
    3. Any ability to understand statistics or math

Anyone?

Again, can anyone tell us what the across-the-board increase is to health care costs based on a 40% annual increase per obese person?

Please... someone do that.

Edit to add: Don't forget to add in the variables I suggested in my last post. C'mon smarties.. stop sipping your seaweed smoothies and tell us.

I understand both math and statistics.
    However, I'm only here for the smoothies. :-D
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest guys, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just read one too many articles on the 'horror' of obesity rates and snapped. My posts probably don't even make any sense because I have so many conflicting thoughts running through my head at the moment. But that's what internet forums are for sometimes. :glasses:

I think the issue is that we all know that obesity is "bad" or whatever, but so are lots of things. Smoking is bad, mmmkay? But people can smoke if they want, and they'll have to pay the piper eventually. Drinking is bad, mmmkay, and people who drink excessively will have to suffer those consequences. People who are promiscuous have to deal with the pitfalls of that lifestyle. People who do ANYTHING to "excess" have to reap what they sow. But who are we to pass judgement?

We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ). But if obese people don't want to do anything about their weight, they should be left alone about it. Some people are happy that way. I wouldn't be, but so what? :drinker:

Drugs-Are-Bad--C11755341.jpg:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! I think this whole thread could use a dose of Valium. Anyone have any to share with the class?:bigsmile:
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Oh, and the original sentiment was full of hearts and roses? Get real.

I am real.
  • sammi674
    Options
    Yeah, people should mind their own business and focus on their weight. Honestly. Obese people know their obese.

Health is important, but our taxes go to unhealthy people because of their bad decisions every day. Drinking, drunk driving, smoking, people who don't exercise, etc... are some of the other unhealthy people you are paying for. So why only attack the obese?

Those skinny people who live off of doritos and pizza and don't exercise? You're paying for them just as much as the obese. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean they're any more healthy. Skinny people have medical problems and die everyday too, did you know?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I care about the obesity epidemic because the advice given to us about what foods are healthy and how to lose weight are LIES. The lies help to keep many people obese. All in the name of profits. Sick/fat people buy lots of food, pharmaceuticals, raise sick/fat children, watch a lot of television, and don't question the government etc. I have a BIG problem with that.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I kind of have an issue with hearing about the 'obesity epidepmic' is that BMI is used to determined who is obese and who isn't. Have a look at mybodygallery.com

I am 5ft2.5 for someone my height 75kg(165lbs) is obese.

You can enter those stats for comparison. There are clearly people in that size who look to have a lot of fat around their middles and look like they probably don't do exercise. But there are (quite a few) who are obviously fit and active and probably quite healthy.

So there should be a better measure that classifies people who are overweight to a point of compromising their health.

There has also been a study recently showing that people who are overweight have a lower mortality rate than those with a healthy BMI and those who are underweight. (Mostly due to the preponderence of people who are overweight but fit). There are also studies showing that overweight people deal with stress better (and most of those who pay tax dollars would be put under a reasonable amount of stress in their workplaces.

I am not sure about the algorithms used, but are underweight individuals penalised as much by insurance companies as those who are obese?

5.2 and 165 is obese. Sorry.

The other issue we have is people not understanding what healthy even is. They look at themselves, their friends and family, all of whom are obese, and conclude that that is normal. It's not normal, it is fat, overweight, obese, large, what ever you want to call it. I see and hear so many people these days with super distorted view of what a healthy body looks like. If you show them a normal healthy body, they will say that they look anorexic or way too skinny. This, to me, is a huge issue.

:explode: :angry: :explode:

did you actually look at the site I mentioned to check the variation in size at that weight?
    at that weight I was a US size 10/ Medium (Australian Size 12-14 http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm)

Marilyn Monroe was supposedly a size 14 Right?
    do you think she was obese too?

YOU - are a huge issue :huh:

I am morbidly obese now - My goal is to get to the top of my healthy BMI range and at that point I will re-*kitten* things, but when I statistically fell into obese according to BMI I had no health issues at all and my waist was 73cm which is very far away from the 88cm risk level.