I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I did visit L.A. in the 90's and was totally shocked and overwhelmed at the attitude regarding size. Super size this and the other. I spent an hour at the car rental plaze to try and explain I was not comfortable driving anything bigger than a small four door saloon car (UK size 1.6L). I had plans to do a lot of driving, which I enjoy, (when travelling to the balearic islands, main land Spain, Italy etc). Then I was harassed for the remaining holiday on all the highways for either keeping within the speed limit or for driving a small saloon. My holiday was spent mainly cooped up in Holiday Inn, Anaheim for two weeks and being brainwashed by American cable tv. Never again!

Someone doesn't seem to know how to travel.
    You had a car but were cooped up in a Holiday Inn? I don't get it.

I don't expect you to 'get it' from an American viewpoint.

Oh man, you should've left the LA area and driven up towards San Francisco. It's a beautiful drive and not so... intense. The redwoods are nearby and everything. Or Mammoth if it was winter time... or anywhere but the LA area. I live here and I think pretty often about how crap it would be to visit.

It's just really spread out and not easy to get around. Having said that, I've been plenty of places where driving was a lot more stressful than Los Angeles. New York for one... San Jose in Costa Rica (the streets don't have names)...
    I don't remember exactly but we where on our way to another city, but when we approached Palm Spring with all the windmill in the desert, my flatmate freaked out, so I had to drive back to Anaheim. Didn't like the isolation apparently...so that was it really.

Ha! I was raised right next to those windmills- the first little town you'd enter after passing them, that is.

I used to like watching the Japanese tourists step out of the buses around there. A lot of them seemed to have a reaction similar to your friend's. Not freaking out, but definitely struck by the emptiness or... something. So at least she's not alone, I guess. :D
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lol.
    I drove without a map. We sure never got as far as the village. It would make a good set for a sci fi movie or something lol
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm from England and I care when it puts a strain on our NHS. The cost of bariatric equipment alone is putting a massive strain on budgets. You have the choice, as with some other 'lifestyle choices' as to whether you overeat or not but when it means that certain drugs can't be paid for to treat illnesses people not caused by lifestyle choices because the obesity epidemic is putting an additional strain on the budgets, then you have to care. You're on MFP and no doubt have made better choices to reduce your risks BUT it could be your kids/wife,brother/mother/father, etc., that are denied treatment. I'd be pretty upset myself if I was denied treatment having made better choices. However, I like to think that I am doing my bit by leading by example as I have introduced a healthy workplace programme and I encourage others to make healthier lifestyle choices - but without nagging them........ ;)

Also from England - And my penny's worth.

I don't like it when the NHS provides treatment for alcoholism or smoking or drug abuse. I don't like it that the NHS provides treatment for preventable sports related injuries.

The cost of knee replacements, liver transplants, dialysis, rehab, drug subsititues, stop smoking schemes etc... far outweigh the costs of obesity treatment, bariatric equipment etc...

And considering all the above lifestyle choices are active choices, as in you have to physically start something to get them, rather than a passive choice to overeat (i'm sure there are very few people who overeat on purpose - not including those who don't know better) i'd much rather stop paying out on those before I stop paying out for obesity costs.

The only difference between obesity and the lifestyle choices above? Obesity is visible and therefore is easier to point the finger at.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did visit L.A. in the 90's and was totally shocked and overwhelmed at the attitude regarding size. Super size this and the other. I spent an hour at the car rental plaze to try and explain I was not comfortable driving anything bigger than a small four door saloon car (UK size 1.6L). I had plans to do a lot of driving, which I enjoy, (when travelling to the balearic islands, main land Spain, Italy etc). Then I was harassed for the remaining holiday on all the highways for either keeping within the speed limit or for driving a small saloon. My holiday was spent mainly cooped up in Holiday Inn, Anaheim for two weeks and being brainwashed by American cable tv. Never again!

I don't get what you're saying, from a British viewpoint, either! None of your posts in this topic make sense. There was no need to go running to the Mods and there was no need to barricade yourself in a hotel when you could have been seeing the sights.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

How original.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If LA was the only place I'd ever been to in America I'd have a pretty bad impression of it too.

Never been and have no desire to ever go!

But I love New York, Boston, some of the more remote areas with beautiful open fields and country roads.

Nice to know, though, that our entire nation is judged by one experience in one city.

My best friend traveled around Europe for three weeks a couple years ago and she came back and told me how much she HATED the UK, that everyone was "so rude" there and she'd never go back. Apparently, that must be true since it was her experience.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been told that LA is not the best place. I think we chose it because of Chicago Bulls/LA Lakers at the time, and Jordan was big back then.

With regards to the domestic housewife, I believe America was at the forefront with kitchen gadgets for the American housewife long time before Europe could even afford any kitchen appliance other than a conventional oven (I have funny images of retro adverts on my mind). I suppose then the next stage was naturally going to be lazy housewifes, and subsequently the health issues associated with a sedentary lifestyle. If anyone is to blame, I would put it down to the American government for failing to address the issues associated with a sedentary lifestyle.

Dafuq.gif
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest guys, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just read one too many articles on the 'horror' of obesity rates and snapped. My posts probably don't even make any sense because I have so many conflicting thoughts running through my head at the moment. But that's what internet forums are for sometimes. :glasses:

I think the issue is that we all know that obesity is "bad" or whatever, but so are lots of things. Smoking is bad, mmmkay? But people can smoke if they want, and they'll have to pay the piper eventually. Drinking is bad, mmmkay, and people who drink excessively will have to suffer those consequences. People who are promiscuous have to deal with the pitfalls of that lifestyle. People who do ANYTHING to "excess" have to reap what they sow. But who are we to pass judgement?

We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ). But if obese people don't want to do anything about their weight, they should be left alone about it. Some people are happy that way. I wouldn't be, but so what? :drinker:

This!
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been told that LA is not the best place. I think we chose it because of Chicago Bulls/LA Lakers at the time, and Jordan was big back then.

With regards to the domestic housewife, I believe America was at the forefront with kitchen gadgets for the American housewife long time before Europe could even afford any kitchen appliance other than a conventional oven (I have funny images of retro adverts on my mind). I suppose then the next stage was naturally going to be lazy housewifes, and subsequently the health issues associated with a sedentary lifestyle. If anyone is to blame, I would put it down to the American government for failing to address the issues associated with a sedentary lifestyle.

Dafuq.gif

lol that gif is making me laugh.

It's interesting to think that kitchen gadgets might be responsible, and that might be true if women were all still at home being happy lil homemakers. The women I know that are at home moms, usually have the time to make meals and healthier choices.

When I was first on my own I rented an apartment that was way out of my price range so I had to pick up a part-time job to help pay my bills. Even working two jobs I only had $15.00 a week for groceries. I could have still made healthier choices, but when you work 8am to 9pm....the last thing you feel like doing is preparing a meal. So you go for what is convenient and it's usually less healthy.
  • shapefitter
    Options

Dafuq.gif

lol that gif is making me laugh.

It's interesting to think that kitchen gadgets might be responsible, and that might be true if women were all still at home being happy lil homemakers. The women I know that are at home moms, usually have the time to make meals and healthier choices.

When I was first on my own I rented an apartment that was way out of my price range so I had to pick up a part-time job to help pay my bills. Even working two jobs I only had $15.00 a week for groceries. I could have still made healthier choices, but when you work 8am to 9pm....the last thing you feel like doing is preparing a meal. So you go for what is convenient and it's usually less healthy.

Thank you for your input. I am only guessing, as I know what it was like in Europe, for instance.
    The overall picture have obviously changed due to economic factors in recent years.

I did some research into people who work nights for instance and the overall effects it can have. I was thinking about doing nights, as jobs are hard to come by nowadays. It is very likely that I will put on weight according to my research, but I'm warned and hope I can take steps to prevent this from happening.
    I am quite set on the idea of a slow cooker, but I haven't worked out how this will help me, when working nights, but it will save me on bills if nothing else.
    A microwave is convenient and cost effective as well, but I just can't get used to the strange texture some foods have when microwaved.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I am only guessing, as I know what it was like in Europe, for instance.
    The overall picture have obviously changed due to economic factors in recent years.

I did some research into people who work nights for instance and the overall effects it can have. I was thinking about doing nights, as jobs are hard to come by nowadays. It is very likely that I will put on weight according to my research, but I'm warned and hope I can take steps to prevent this from happening.
    I am quite set on the idea of a slow cooker, but I haven't worked out how this will help me, when working nights, but it will save me on bills if nothing else.
    A microwave is convenient and cost effective as well, but I just can't get used to the strange texture some foods have when microwaved.

Or you could just blame the U.S. government. So much easier that way.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

You have a computer and internet, but no crock pot or microwave?

spockfascinating.jpg
  • shapefitter
    Options
    If LA was the only place I'd ever been to in America I'd have a pretty bad impression of it too.

But I love New York, Boston, some of the more remote areas with beautiful open fields and country roads.

Nice to know, though, that our entire nation is judged by one experience in one city.

My best friend traveled around Europe for three weeks a couple years ago and she came back and told me how much she HATED the UK, that everyone was "so rude" there and she'd never go back. Apparently, that must be true since it was her experience.

I totally agree. UK, is getting worse :( As a foreign national living in UK, I wonder where we are heading, except down the road to destruction. There's a lot of discrimination, which only divides us. It was different in the 80's, but now everywhere is the same as everyone is feeling the economic decline. Blaming certain groups for our economic decline, and causing friction in our own communities is on the rise. The media bombards us with images to induce hate, and generate nothing but negativity in our communities, and to induce anxiety and hate. It has long been a political tool to control the masses since Roman times, but I won't bore anyone with details on here. As a general rule, I don't discuss politics or religion for that matter, as I am not a supporter of any political views or religion. I just like to make people stop and think, and hope for a positive outcome. I am very random, which confuses people a lot ( previous posts). I look for ways to distract negative topics. In this case, I think I have made a bad job of diverting the thread from the main topic, without breaking any of the forum rules (I hope). Nevertheless, I made the effort.
    I am still struggling to understand what this thread has to do with MFP, and its dedicated members, though.
  • rml_16
    Options

I totally agree. UK, is getting worse :( As a foreign national living in UK, I wonder where we are heading, except down the road to destruction. There's a lot of discrimination, which only divides us. It was different in the 80's, but now everywhere is the same as everyone is feeling the economic decline. Blaming certain groups for our economic decline, and causing friction in our own communities is on the rise. The media bombards us with images to induce hate, and generate nothing but negativity in our communities, and to induce anxiety and hate. It has long been a political tool to control the masses since Roman times, but I won't bore anyone with details on here. As a general rule, I don't discuss politics or religion for that matter, as I am not a supporter of any political views or religion. I just like to make people stop and think, and hope for a positive outcome. I am very random, which confuses people a lot ( previous posts). I look for ways to distract negative topics. In this case, I think I have made a bad job of diverting the thread from the main topic, without breaking any of the forum rules (I hope). Nevertheless, I made the effort.
    I am still struggling to understand what this thread has to do with MFP, and its dedicated members, though.
    I think you missed my sarcasm.

I have one friend who spent a few days in one city and decided the Brits are all rude and she will never go back there.

I also have several other friends who have visited the UK or lived there, not to mention the number of ex-pat Brits living here and their experiences and opinions are quite different.

You spent a small amount of time in one US city (that most Americans don't even like) and are judging us all on that tiny litle experience. Now that is rude.
  • shapefitter
    Options
    spockfascinating.jpg
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

No, your friend was right, Most of us are pretty rude. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

lol

I have another friend who was there around the same time and she loved it. I just think my best friend doesn't get the British sense of humor. She's known me for 35 years and when I make silly sarcastic comments, she tells me I'm being bltchy. I've yet to meet a Brit I didn't like (at least in person -- there are a few on here who I could live without).
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    In this case, I think I have made a bad job of diverting the thread from the main topic, without breaking any of the forum rules (I hope). Nevertheless, I made the effort.

This is funny!

I think you've done a pretty good job diverting it. I would respectfully suggest you have not diverted it to a topic more fitting to the site.

Many here struggle with obesity and we all have other people in our lives who do as well. Do you not think looking at the topic from a broader social viewpoint is relevant to the issue of obesity?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

lol

I have another friend who was there around the same time and she loved it. I just think my best friend doesn't get the British sense of humor. She's known me for 35 years and when I make silly sarcastic comments, she tells me I'm being bltchy. I've yet to meet a Brit I didn't like (at least in person -- there are a few on here who I could live without).

Yeah, the Brits humour can be very dry, I can understand why someone would think we are rude.

I had a couple of friends in college who'd come from America, and they once told me what they thought was odd about Brits is that two strangers could stand at a bus stop all day, and neither of them would say a word to each other. It's something I only noticed once she said it, we do tend to keep to ourselves. It took about a year for me to have a proper conversation with my neighbour!

I am of course completely generalising though!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Off Topic:

Here in the US, almost everyone has a microwave oven. Most people under 30 were raised in households with 'em. Although I never thought about it before, I guess I assumed it was the same way in GB.

Is that an incorrect assumption?