I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.

Old people are a real pain the a** too then.

Except aging isn't preventable.. Unless you kill people off before they get old. Try again.

So should we throw people in jail for being overweight? :huh:

OH But I beg to differ from you ! I also differ with facts not opinions the primary reason people get sick when they get old is due to lack of a healthy life style either currently or when they were younger ! We all have choices and I choose to be healthy not fat and not drunk and not smoking and not sitting around watching TV ! Yes I would say possible as few as 15% of older people are actually sick due to issues they have no control over ! So stop making non factual statements and educate yourself as to the new medicine called anti aging ! It is real and it is out there and is is more affordable that treating unhealthy older people ! I am 54 going on 38 and I will defy most 35 year old men to keep up with me in the gym or any other aspect of life because I choose to be healthy ! even with blood clots a hip implant and pins in bones and shot when in the Marines I now live a healthy life style and turn back the hands of time every day my feet hot the floor !

So stop gripping and get off your butt and be active and eat health and drink plain old water one of the best medicians you can ingest :) !

Lolwut? Dude, I'm quite thin, but so what? Believe it or not, my girlish figure isn't my biggest achievement in life. You've managed to get in shape. Good for you. You want a medal? :huh:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest guys, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just read one too many articles on the 'horror' of obesity rates and snapped. My posts probably don't even make any sense because I have so many conflicting thoughts running through my head at the moment. But that's what internet forums are for sometimes. :glasses:

LOL, I like this. :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

Except aging isn't preventable.. Unless you kill people off before they get old. Try again.

How did you make that leap? I never suggested such a ridiculous thing.

So what's your point then? You seem really miffed that you're "paying more than your share" because obese people are freeloading on government sponsored healthcare or whatever. ::shrug::

I didn't say it's not a problem. But I didn't say they should be put in jail. Get a grip lady.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you don't see obesity as a health problem. It's not about aesthetics and I don't think anyone has forgotten that obese people are more than just their weight, although it may feel like both of those things. Honestly I care both because of the financial consequences of a society predisposed to the development of preventable health problems and also because, in certain circumstances, it's sad to see someone who is unhealthy, as some (not all) obese people are.

I do understand that obesity is a health concern. I have a brother who weighs close to 500 pounds, and my dad had a quadruple bypass a year ago (don't worry guys, it wasn't on your dime, trust me). I worry about them every single day as far as health goes.

I guess what I'm most upset about are those people who have no legitimate reason to be concerned with anyone else's lifestyles. I know way too many people who think that fat people are fat because they have no self-control, because they don't care about themselves or their families, because they're gluttonous pigs, etc. etc. etc. And all that they have to contribute to this 'obesity epidemic' is fat-shaming and common-sense 'eat more veggies' type of advice.

(I also like to think of it as though there were a 'depression epidemic' instead, and all the depressed people in the world only wear grey clothing. Suddenly everybody thinks that wearing grey is the problem; they shame/force/educate people into wearing other colors and fitting their vision of what society should be like... but not once do they try to understand the depression itself. People wear grey because they have no fashion sense = people are fat because they have no self control.)
  • Siansonea
    Options
    I gotta be honest guys, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just read one too many articles on the 'horror' of obesity rates and snapped. My posts probably don't even make any sense because I have so many conflicting thoughts running through my head at the moment. But that's what internet forums are for sometimes. :glasses:

I think the issue is that we all know that obesity is "bad" or whatever, but so are lots of things. Smoking is bad, mmmkay? But people can smoke if they want, and they'll have to pay the piper eventually. Drinking is bad, mmmkay, and people who drink excessively will have to suffer those consequences. People who are promiscuous have to deal with the pitfalls of that lifestyle. People who do ANYTHING to "excess" have to reap what they sow. But who are we to pass judgement?

We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ). But if obese people don't want to do anything about their weight, they should be left alone about it. Some people are happy that way. I wouldn't be, but so what? :drinker:
  • Siansonea
    Options

So what's your point then? You seem really miffed that you're "paying more than your share" because obese people are freeloading on government sponsored healthcare or whatever. ::shrug::

I didn't say it's not a problem. But I didn't say they should be put in jail. Get a grip lady.

So, you got nothing, basically. :huh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You're right, you are not making sense.

You really don't have a point do you? :smile:

People are people no matter how much or how little weight they have on them.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    It sounds like you don't see obesity as a health problem. It's not about aesthetics and I don't think anyone has forgotten that obese people are more than just their weight, although it may feel like both of those things. Honestly I care both because of the financial consequences of a society predisposed to the development of preventable health problems and also because, in certain circumstances, it's sad to see someone who is unhealthy, as some (not all) obese people are.

I do understand that obesity is a health concern. I have a brother who weighs close to 500 pounds, and my dad had a quadruple bypass a year ago (don't worry guys, it wasn't on your dime, trust me). I worry about them every single day as far as health goes.

I guess what I'm most upset about are those people who have no legitimate reason to be concerned with anyone else's lifestyles. I know way too many people who think that fat people are fat because they have no self-control, because they don't care about themselves or their families, because they're gluttonous pigs, etc. etc. etc. And all that they have to contribute to this 'obesity epidemic' is fat-shaming and common-sense 'eat more veggies' type of advice.

(I also like to think of it as though there were a 'depression epidemic' instead, and all the depressed people in the world only wear grey clothing. Suddenly everybody thinks that wearing grey is the problem; they shame/force/educate people into wearing other colors and fitting their vision of what society should be like... but not once do they try to understand the depression itself. People wear grey because they have no fashion sense = people are fat because they have no self control.)

I like this. Good analogy. :flowerforyou:
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

You're right, you are not making sense.

You really don't have a point do you? :smile:

People are people no matter how much or how little weight they have on them.

Nope, no point. Just wild frustration with the world. Don't mind me. :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ).
    When I was in school in the 60's and 70's, I was and a few others were the fat kids that everyone else made fun of. Now, everywhere you look there are obese children.

Many restaurants do have calorie information on their menus now. Those restaurant calorie counts can be eye-opening at times.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

I think the issue is that we all know that obesity is "bad" or whatever, but so are lots of things. Smoking is bad, mmmkay? But people can smoke if they want, and they'll have to pay the piper eventually. Drinking is bad, mmmkay, and people who drink excessively will have to suffer those consequences. People who are promiscuous have to deal with the pitfalls of that lifestyle. People who do ANYTHING to "excess" have to reap what they sow. But who are we to pass judgement?

We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ). But if obese people don't want to do anything about their weight, they should be left alone about it. Some people are happy that way. I wouldn't be, but so what? :drinker:

Now this sounds like something I would type if I could actually gather my thoughts at the moment. Hahaha. :) Very good points, thank you.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    You're taking this way too personally. I don't care about specific people being obese (except about their health) but there are plenty of reasons to care about the bigger picture of such a big proportion of the population being obese.

I love it when people say, "Your taking this way too personally." I guess you wouldn`t have started the topic if your weren`t going to be passionate about it.

And is taking something personally really wrong? You were obese, your on a fitness site having a whole country against fat can be a bit disheartening.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    We should definitely educate children about nutrition much more effectively than we do now, and we should not allow junk food in schools. And I also think that nutritional information should be much more front-and-center at restaurants. Some restaurants don't provide it at all, as I well know from trying to estimate calories from eating out (pain in the a__ :grumble: ).
    When I was in school in the 60's and 70's, I was and a few others were the fat kids that everyone else made fun of. Now, everywhere you look there are obese children.

Many restaurants do have calorie information on their menus now. Those restaurant calorie counts can be eye-opening at times.

Yeah, and a lot of other restaurants have a "lighter side menu" with calorie totals on just that section. Calories and macros are conspicuously absent throughout the rest of the menu. And if it's a "fancy" restaurant—forget it. They NEVER have any information. Those places are minefields, really makes it an unpleasant experience for me when I have to go to places like that for work functions. I know it sounds like an odd thing to gripe about, the food is usually quite good, but now that I'm counting calories, I hate not knowing. :grumble:
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.

This.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I think you're right that people tend to be judgemental about obesity in a way that they are not judgemental about cancer, for instance. It is seen more as a personal failure than other health problems, so the outcry about the "obesity epidemic" can seem more like people sticking their nose into something that is not their business. But if you look at it from a more detached viewpoint, it makes sense that there would be concern about it just like there would be a concern if 1 in 3 Americans had cancer, heart disease, or an itchy rash. I hope in time as everyone becomes more educated about it, the judgmental aspect of it will be lessened.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Edited: Meh doesn't matter at this point.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I get your point about people with no particular reason judging others for obesity but let me tell you why people at the coal face of health care are concerned. I work in a smallish publicly funded hospital. Over the last couple of years we have spent thousands of dollars (AU) on new bariatric equipment to cope with our growing obesity problem - beds, wheelchairs, scales, toilets, blood pressure cuffs, operating tables, patient handling equipment - but we still dont have enough to cope. A new policy is being developed (apparantly) where if a ward has two or more patients of a high BMI they will have to close beds because each of those obese patients need more nursing staff to look after them and that means there arent enough nurses to go around. My colleague is now on the waiting list for back surgery because she had to lift up an obese ladies leg in order to insert a urinary catheter. The patient was to obese to get to the toilet, the reason for her immobility was obesity and no other condition.

Replicate this over every hospital in every health care system in every part of the western world and you have a phenomenal problem.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

So, you got nothing, basically. :huh:

I've got plenty. I wasn't going to dignify your bad attitude and rude responses ..While I'm here though I'll point out I live in Canada where we have free (well taxes pay for it) health care and I don't have a problem paying taxes for ANYONE to get health care no matter what the reason for that need may be. Whether it's because they smoke, are obese, enjoy jumping in front of trains or whatever.. it's not about personal greed. But I'm sure there would be extra tax money to spend elsewhere as a whole if less people were obese, smoked, etc. My concern is more about the welfare of the people though.. there are so many diseases and yes, early deaths, associated with obesity, and I'm sure many families are affected emotionally by the toll it takes (not to mention those who are obese themselves). If it's possible to reduce the problem, why not? Wouldn't it be a GOOD thing if less people died too early?? There should be more education and emphasis on activity, especially with children so that they learn good lifelong habits early on.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ya personally I don't really think fat defines a person.

I am obese on my way down from SMO, so I speak from experience.

Why does this "epidemic" concern me? I don't want an obese military protecting my country, especially against coutries without one.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yeah, and a lot of other restaurants have a "lighter side menu" with calorie totals on just that section. Calories and macros are conspicuously absent throughout the rest of the menu. And if it's a "fancy" restaurant—forget it. They NEVER have any information. Those places are minefields, really makes it an unpleasant experience for me when I have to go to places like that for work functions. I know it sounds like an odd thing to gripe about, the food is usually quite good, but now that I'm counting calories, I hate not knowing. :grumble:

I hear you 100%, I've noticed it's the larger chain restaurants that have calorie information, but many local ones do not. I don't like guessing.