IS THIS RACIST?

Options
I had a conversation about Asian food earlier in a weight loss chat room.
A woman made an observation that many Asian women seem to stay very slim even on a high carb, often greasy diet.
I suggested that genetically, many Asians are naturally smaller framed, and that maybe they are better at metabolising the diet because through time they have become accustomed to it. This already had several people in the chat crying 'racist'.

Trying to explain myself, I was hoping to point out that different populations genuinely do process food differently depending on their genetic make-up. For example, that many people of Asian descent have trouble metabolising alcohol. My boyfriend for example is Korean and gets what he calls, 'the Asian glow' - he just can't break down the enzymes fast enough and it leaves him totally drunk and red faced after a single drink. That REALLY got people riled up - I don't know how many people called me a racist *****.

I guess I was surprised because nothing I said was derogatory, or suggested Asian people are less because they are different, and I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. The truth of the matter is that even though we are all equal, the truth is we ARE different - it's not a bad thing, but it seems making that observation has people upset. The reaction surprised me. I'm genuinely sorry if anyone does find this rude or ignorant, and I guess that's why I'm posting - was I racist?

Replies

• CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Nah you werent being racist. Too many people are labeling any comments about a differing race from the speaker as racist. People shut up.
  • Qomplicated
    Options
    thats_racist_2.jpg
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    thats_racist_2.jpg

Haha, this reminds me of when I used to teach English in Taiwan, the kids used to pull that face to me and call me "ghost teacher" if I told them off :laugh:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Lol at above. I personally don't think so. I think that there are some people that jump to that when race is involved, no matter what the subject matter is. Brush it off!
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nah you werent being racist. Too many people are labeling any comments about a differing race from the speaker as racist. People shut up.

I couldn't agree more!
  • SophieA9083
    Options
    Science is not racism....
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It seems a dangerous game to make any serious point about differences between people, it's easy for stupid people to take offence on behalf of someone else and call you racist, sexist, fatist, gayist, ageist - you need a funny gif that makes your point - in the future people will only be able to communicate through funny gifs of cats.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Living in Asia, I'd say the Asians where I live are not slim on a very high carb, high fat diet. Not in the slightest. They're in the midst of an obesity epidemic.

Discussing ethnic differences between people isn't racist, but some people do think that any mention of ethnic differences is racism... it's not. There are ethnic differences in terms of average frame size, average height, skin colour, and various other ways in which humans differ from each other. If it was racism to discuss this in a respectful way, then the entire field of anthropology would be racist.

One thing i would say though, is that Asia is a continent, and the statement you made is a sweeping generalisation. I'm assuming you're referring to a specific population within Asia, though I'm not sure which. My sweeping statement at the start of this message refers to Saudis and Bahrainis (I live in Bahrain and before that lived in Saudi), and there is an obesity epidemic in the Arabian Gulf, some Arabian Gulf countries have higher rates of obesity than western countries. So anyway, the point being that Asia is a continent, and there are many Asian populations, and obesity rates vary massively, as do local diets etc. So while it's not racist to discuss ethnic differences, your comment was a sweeping generalisation and it's possibly that which has annoyed people.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Living in Asia, I'd say the Asians where I live are not slim on a very high carb, high fat diet. Not in the slightest. They're in the midst of an obesity epidemic.

Discussing ethnic differences between people isn't racist, but some people do think that any mention of ethnic differences is racism... it's not. There are ethnic differences in terms of average frame size, average height, skin colour, and various other ways in which humans differ from each other. If it was racism to discuss this in a respectful way, then the entire field of anthropology would be racist.

One thing i would say though, is that Asia is a continent, and the statement you made is a sweeping generalisation. I'm assuming you're referring to a specific population within Asia, though I'm not sure which. My sweeping statement at the start of this message refers to Saudis and Bahrainis (I live in Bahrain and before that lived in Saudi), and there is an obesity epidemic in the Arabian Gulf, some Arabian Gulf countries have higher rates of obesity than western countries. So anyway, the point being that Asia is a continent, and there are many Asian populations, and obesity rates vary massively, as do local diets etc. So while it's not racist to discuss ethnic differences, your comment was a sweeping generalisation and it's possibly that which has annoyed people.

You make a good point (In my opinion) but I disagree that this is what annoyed people.

The problem is that a lot of people are stupid and misunderstand what 'racist' actually means.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It is always difficult when you try and put into words how your mind processes things to make sense of them. Your intent never seems to be the point that comes accross, as much as the process of your validation to get to understanding. Generalizations always come accross as racist, no matter the intent. Like it or not.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    But it can be used to promote racism....

Let's start with Eugenics.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    7E8Ag5v.jpg

I don't think it's racist.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well in that case, the World Health Organization is racist.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/bmi_asia_strategies.pdf
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't consider it racist if what you say were true - that Asians are thin because of their genes.

But they're not. I live in Japan, and women around me are generally rather thin (although the young generation is visibly chubbier).
    One thing I can definitely tell you is that they eat very little to maintain that weight - they have a varied, rather clean, low calories diet, despite appearances. That, of course, is just an observation of my friends' diets, not a generalization on the whole continent. Maybe my friends are "the odds one out", but I highly doubt it.
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    But it can be used to promote racism....

Let's start with Eugenics.

Is that remotely relevant to this thread? I don't think so....
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    Well I wouldn't consider it racist if what you say were true - that Asians are thin because of their genes.

But they're not. I live in Japan, and women around me are generally rather thin (although the young generation is visibly chubbier).
    One thing I can definitely tell you is that they eat very little to maintain that weight - they have a varied, rather clean, low calories diet, despite appearances.

So by your logic: untrue generalization is racist, but your massive sweeping generalization is not racist because you consider it to be true....I assume by 'they' you mean ALL people that live in Asia?
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It could also be that they are more active so they are processing more calories.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    The Asian diet didn't use to include a lot of dairy and meat other than fish. Dairy especially will pork you up. As McDonald's and the western diet spreads all over the world, people are getting fatter. Asian people can get fat just like anybody anywhere. I looked in a museum recently at clothing worn in the United States in the mid-1800s and people were tiny compared to Americans today. Their diet was different and they exercised more.
  • rickylurve
    Options
    How on earth can that be construed as racist in any way, shape or form? People are so quick to jump on the PC bandwagon, and then become even more biggoted themselves. Did you say it with hatred in your heart? I wouldn't worry about it. You know what you said was not racist, and don't let people who do not understand the term doubt yourself. As they say, "haterz got to hate".
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You're not racist but they are idiots.

My sister goes red when she drinks alcoholic drinks. So, does that make me racist?

Also, you get fat and skinny orientals just as you get the likes of Mike Chang.
This discussion has been closed.