Deficit + "Newbie" Strength Gains = No Change?

Options
2»

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    As long as you're disciplined about tracking your calories in and your calories out, you'll lose weight consistently (assuming your calorie deficit is sufficient, naturally). Getting more protein than MFP recommends, and fewer carbs, would also help. Also, fat is your friend, don't avoid dietary fat, except trans fats, they are generally preferable to their low-fat alternatives, which are usually chemicals and carbs. And eat yummy foods, don't force yourself to eat dry, tasteless "health" food. I've lost weight without a hint of a plateau for over two months now, just by keeping an eye on calories. I eat fast food (making lower calorie choices) and lots of packaged soups, salads, etc., mainly because it's easy to be exact with my calorie totals than freshly prepared foods that have to be measured with food scales. Plus I'm lazy and I hate to cook. :bigsmile: When I eat out at a mom-and-pop restaurant or a fancy restaurant that doesn't provide nutritional info, I generally overestimate the calories if the info on a specific item isn't available online.

Don't starve yourself, but don't allow yourself to fall into the pattern of thinking that if you just do X amount of exercise, you can have Z amount of calories. Unless you are extremely rigorous, X and Z will never be the same number—and Z could wipe out your calorie deficit very easily. I don't exercise at all, I'm trying to lose weight first, I'll worry about "toning" after I'm at my goal, because I don't want to introduce the exercise variable into my weight loss equation.

And remember, day-to-day gains and losses should be tracked, but it's the weekly and monthly trends that are most important. We didn't gain our excess weight over the span of a few days or weeks, and it's going to take a while to lose it. But it doesn't have to be an ordeal. That's why I committed to the only thing that truly matters, counting calories, and dispensed with all the optional stuff like exercise, eating "healthy", etc. If you've got willpower to spare, by all means do those other things too (but keep an eye on calories above all). I don't have willpower to spare, so I just did the bare minimum. :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Gurprincess,

You've gotten some great links and information here.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that you said you are "very weak". I think that's a red flag. I've been weight training on and off for ten years and I've never felt very weak, and I strength train pretty intensely now and I don't feel weak.

Maybe that's something to look at? :smile:

Well I mean I'm very weak as in I don't have very much strength built up over the years (never had to actually work those muscles.) I don't mean I feel weak/tired afterwards.

Thank goodness! :bigsmile: