AMA says to cancel Thanksgiving due to obesity epidemic

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I am 100% behind this idea.

A holiday dedicated to eating? So wrong. So wrong. It should be illegal and anyone caught celebrating arrested.
    agreed.

perhaps a turkey-tax will help.

i'm currently developing a gravy recipe that includes raspberry ketones, cayenne lemon-water, sensa, and powdered cauliflower (instead of flour), so if anyone wants it, i'd be more than happy to share it and help keep your family healthy this holiday season.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :angry:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I can see their point, but there are many days dedicated to eating. Christmas, birthdays, vacation and Super bowl to name a few.
    And let's face it, one day a year DIDN'T get people obese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    SayWhat.gif

^ gif is NOT racist.

lol @ Bell Biv Devoe
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    SayWhat.gif

^ gif is NOT racist.

lol @ Bell Biv Devoe
    *ahem*

THAT is New Edition.

Ronny, Bobby, Ricky and Mike, if I like a girl, who cares who you like?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I can't say this wouldn't benefit America
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't be fair to all of the genetically blessed slim people. Maybe as people are purchasing there turkey and trimming they have to step on a scale and if their over weight there banned from buying it and maybe thrown in jail or something. I don't know. Just a thought.

There is no such thing as genetically blessed thin people. There is NO gene basis for obesity, period.
    Obesity is LEARNED BEHAVIOR, So stop feeling sorry for yourself.
    BTW, think of a pound of fat as one turkey dinner. So if you are 30 pounds overweight, that is like walking around with thirty turkey dinners hanging off your body.

the idea of a 16 ounce Thanksgiving turkey dinner makes me sad. :frown:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't be fair to all of the genetically blessed slim people. Maybe as people are purchasing there turkey and trimming they have to step on a scale and if their over weight there banned from buying it and maybe thrown in jail or something. I don't know. Just a thought.

There is no such thing as genetically blessed thin people. There is NO gene basis for obesity, period.
    BTW, think of a pound of fat as one turkey dinner. So if you are 30 pounds overweight, that is like walking around with thirty turkey dinners hanging off your body.

Bear-GIFS-fishing.gif
  • jperret
    Options
    I wish Thanksgiving was the only day of the year I overate...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Thanks Steve for saying what a lot of us are thinking :drinker: <<<<<<<<<< Water
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

That's simply not true. Highly used as a bs excuse? Yes.

Also, beyond genetics, early childhood environmental factors can also have a major impact.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Everyone should just legally be forced to take Alli before their Thanksgiving dinner. Then no one will want to celebrate next year.

****ing BRILLIANT
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    What? :huh:

Thanksgiving is being cancelled?!?!?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • jperret
    Options

That's pretty harsh. Obviously, choosing foods to eat and performing exercise are behaviours that we can control. However, there is a large amount of scientific research regarding base metabolic rate and how genetics and environment (ie. caloric intake pre-birth) can affect your weight later in life... oh wait, I'm feeding the troll, aren't I.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm totally "over" Thanksgiving anyway. Are turkey and stuffing REALLY that good? I vote "no". If I had my way I'd eat sushi, blue cheese crumbles, queso and buffalo wings.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I don't feel sorry for myself because I know it's my jeans.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think the AMA should be banned for being stupid poopyheads!

^Agreed. All of your Thanksgiving hate is so not in the spirit of the holiday! It's not about stuffing your face, it's about spending quality time with your family and loved ones gathered around a meal that you all worked together to prepare. If you make it about stuffing your face, that's your own problem.

Personally, my family all gets together in the morning and we make a meal that everyone had a hand in preparing. Then we enjoy said meal. Then we go outside and play football or run around with the kids! Your holiday is what you make it. Stop hating.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    Bumping
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm totally "over" Thanksgiving anyway. Are turkey and stuffing REALLY that good? I vote "no". If I had my way I'd eat sushi, blue cheese crumbles, queso and buffalo wings.

That just means you haven't had really good turkey and stuffing! Although, queso and buffalo wings sounds pretty freaking awesome for Thanksgiving, especially since there's about 10 football games on that day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I don't eat meat anymore, so for me it's about mashed potatoes and sorn bread casserole and the AMAZZING creamed onions my neighbor makes and homemade rolls with butter and PIE!!!

Thee's more. I can't think of it now. Apparently, Thanksgiving to me is all about carbs, though ...