AMA says to cancel Thanksgiving due to obesity epidemic

Options

Replies

• askyej2010
    Options
    Yea....let's ban a national holiday that resonates back to the Original 13 Colonies. Great idea! Just like Christmas and every other holiday/event that involves food (birthdays, football games, Halloween, New Years', office parties, etc.). Let's go ahead and ban those too while we're at it! Just because there's an event going on doesn't mean portion control has to go out the window. Geez. Rant over.

P.S. Isn't the American Surgeon General overweight?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yea....let's ban a national holiday that resonates back to the Original 13 Colonies. Great idea! Just like Christmas and every other holiday/event that involves food (birthdays, football games, Halloween, New Years', office parties, etc.). Let's go ahead and ban those too while we're at it!
    Yes! We have at least two of us who believe this. Let's start a movement!
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    But I just pulled the old pregnancy pants out of the closet...
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't be fair to all of the genetically blessed slim people. Maybe as people are purchasing there turkey and trimming they have to step on a scale and if their over weight there banned from buying it and maybe thrown in jail or something. I don't know. Just a thought.

Perhaps an incentive based program? Something involving a treadmill and a cattle prod. Earn that turkey!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you can grow it you can eat it!
    I can grow mold and poisonous mushrooms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have a lot of briars growing. Feel free to come take some home for your meal.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this movement was started by turkeys. Brilliant turkeys, but turkeys nonetheless.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    they should
    there are way too many fat whoppers out there.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    But I just pulled the old pregnancy pants out of the closet...

HAH! That's even better than sweatpants/yoga pants lol
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I have a lot of briars growing. Feel free to come take some home for your meal.
    Great now I'm being poisoned and my throat cut by thorns! Oh well, as long as I can log it properly and it fits my macros!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I think that Christmas should be banned, because it is adding big time to family debt load. Just as Thanksgiving is making us fat, BucksMas ( $Mas ) is making us poor.

In fact... I think I read on the internet somewhere that this was Obama's idea.... to cancel Christmas. Yep, that's it. Obama.

bad-santa.JPG
  • MrsMetzler2013
    MrsMetzler2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? Its an American tradition. No one says you have to eat turkey and all the fixings. Its supposed to be a day to get together and be thankful for who and what you have in your lives. Who says you can't make healthier versions of your favorite traditional dishes? If you don't want to eat all day, don't, it still doesn't change the fact that its Thanksgiving. If you have to ban an entire holiday because you are overweight, I think you have a bigger problem.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Are turkey and stuffing REALLY that good?

Yes, especially my sausage and cornbread stuffing. Also turkey is a rockin' protein source...

I don't due a turkey. I make a honey ham from scratch, corn bread pudding ,yams, biscuts and home made apple and pumkin pies
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Who says you can't make healthier versions of your favorite traditional dishes?

People who don't want to ruin Thanksgiving.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would also rather have french fries than mashed potatoes with cravy.

Apparently I like "bar food".
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

And you can eat them ...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would also rather have french fries than mashed potatoes with cravy.

Apparently I like "bar food".

I get it. My wife is always abhorred when we go to a nice restraunt and the first thing I look for is their nachos.
  • myprana
    Options
    SayWhat.gif

^ gif is NOT racist.

A gif showcasing one of the hottest boy bands back in the day? Racism was the last thing on my mind. New Edition still makes my heart melt. <3
  • sullus
    Options
    Yea....let's ban a national holiday that resonates back to the Original 13 Colonies. Great idea! Just like Christmas and every other holiday/event that involves food (birthdays, football games, Halloween, New Years', office parties, etc.). Let's go ahead and ban those too while we're at it!
    Yes! We have at least two of us who believe this. Let's start a movement!

Wait wait .. If you recall your thanksgiving traditions, 2 people is not a movement (just a ploy to avoid getting drafted) .. 3 people may be considered an organization ... it's very clear that 50 people a day is what it would take to constitute a movement.
  • sullus
    Options
    Wow, really? Its an American tradition. No one says you have to eat turkey and all the fixings. Its supposed to be a day to get together and be thankful for who and what you have in your lives. Who says you can't make healthier versions of your favorite traditional dishes? If you don't want to eat all day, don't, it still doesn't change the fact that its Thanksgiving. If you have to ban an entire holiday because you are overweight, I think you have a bigger problem.

Now it's an organization ...
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I'm still only waiting on eggnog for Christmas time. Going to take a full day to drink nothing but eggnog. That's as far as my celebrating goes lol.