Cow's milk

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am probably in the "Humans shouldn't drink cow's milk" group. But I still use some dairy products in moderation. The crux of it for me is the definition of milk's purpose. Cow's milk is a lactating fluid SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO TURN A 65 LB CALF INTO A 1000 LB COW.

Nonsense! Cow's milk, much like human breast milk, is meant to nourish the young of a species until it is old enough to eat solid food. Cow's do not drink milk until they are 1000 lbs. They get that big from eating vegetation. Perhaps we should all stop eating leafy things lest we become 1000 lbs cows.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything from another animal. That's why I stick to human meat. Try the thighs - delicious!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    OK so I haven't read all the responses, so i don't know whats been said or decided but here is my experience and suggestion:

My daughter just turned 1 a week ago. I've been giving her whole cow's milk since about 10 months.
    SHE IS PERFECTLY FINE!! BETTER EVEN! Her BM's became a better consistency and more regular. She has been much happier drinking milk and water rather than formula she rarely gets juice I should add, but, she has been eating 3 square meals a day and healthy snacks since I started her on whole milk, so she's not being deprived of vital nutrients

While it is important to pay attention to your pediatricians advice their 'advice' changes every year, it used to be babies only had breast or cow's milk, no such thing as formula back in the day.

My recommendation is to start off giving your baby half water half whole milk then progress to just whole milk after 1 year old, slowly removing the amount of water you cut the milk with. Monitor his/her reaction to it, look out for diarrhea, upset stomach, and signs of Iron Deficiency. The concern seems to be that without formula baby wont get all the nutrition they need hence the iron deficiency concern for that incorporate red meat, spinach, and things like that into babies food, but if baby is eating a wide variety of healthy solids/meals you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Adjust according to babies reactions and needs. Ultimately your the parent and you spend more time with your child that what the pediatrician can observe if that makes sense.

So while everyone has opinions, there's my 'experience'.

PS: I forgot to add, after a certain point watch out for your baby filling up on just milk, if they start not wanting to eat their regular food, they may be filling up on milk... 2 - 4 sippy cups a day is what my girl typically gets but it varries greatly and sometimes I give her more water for the day than milk but always at least 2 cups of milk
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of cow's milk as a child. I'm fortunate to be Canadian, because added antibiotics and growth hormones in our dairy supply is illegal and the fine is a VERY hefty penalty. (I don't get people who buy organic milk here... really, it's all "organic" and it's "grass-fed" for about half of the year when there's grass available to feed). In case you couldn't guess, yes, I grew up in a farming community. ;)

I also say go for it. :) I find that now as an adult too much dairy protein upsets my digestive system a little bit, but I have to consume A LOT of it for that to happen.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Then seeing a few comments just now I got to thinking,

If cow's milk is sooooo bad for young children, minus the ones that actually have allergies related to dairy of course, why is it ok for them to ingest it via other foods, you know food that calls for milk as an ingredient, ... toddlers can have yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, pudding etc etc, why is cows milk so bad?

Then its funny to me as well, because cow's milk is a source of vitamin D a vitamin MOST people are deficient in,.... but no one wants to give babies cow's milk because its from cows? And cow's milk is for cow's right? Well in that case, everyone has to STOP eating vegetation cause that feeds the cows too... how dare we eat their food. And before you go at it, you cant have meat either cause that's for the lions and cheetahs, Stop! I know what your'e thinking you cant have nuts either cause those are for squirrels.
    Better resort to cannibalism and breast milk cause all that's left is 'people' food which is for people.

confused much.....yes i think so

:drinker:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food!!! Go organic
    Dont listen to BS!!!!!

Humans do many many other stuff that other species dont do
    So what!!!

I completely agree. Comparing humans to other species that aren't capable of doing what humans can is not smart in my book. If your child doesn't have a dietary issues after comsuming it then keep giving it to her.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything from another animal. That's why I stick to human meat. Try the thighs - delicious!

Winning!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of cow's milk as a child. I'm fortunate to be Canadian, because added antibiotics and growth hormones in our dairy supply is illegal and the fine is a VERY hefty penalty.

Just for the record, added antibiotics is not legal in the US either.

The milk truck takes a sample on each farm when he picks up the milk. When he delivers the milk, they test the truck for antibiotics. If the truck tests positive, they dump the whole truck of milk and check the samples to see who shipped milk with antibiotic residue, and bill the offending farmer for the milk.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to cows milk. I never was. We lived next door to a farm growing up and always had fresh milk. I love it and still do. Depends on the child and how her system handles it. Don't fret too much about what people think. I drank raw milk when I was pregnant with my daughter. She got straight A's in school. Milk never bothers her either.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of cow's milk as a child. I'm fortunate to be Canadian, because added antibiotics and growth hormones in our dairy supply is illegal and the fine is a VERY hefty penalty. (I don't get people who buy organic milk here... really, it's all "organic" and it's "grass-fed" for about half of the year when there's grass available to feed). In case you couldn't guess, yes, I grew up in a farming community. ;)

I also say go for it. :) I find that now as an adult too much dairy protein upsets my digestive system a little bit, but I have to consume A LOT of it for that to happen.
    No, both are allowed. Dairy cows can't have hormones added, only beef cows.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/vet/faq/growth_hormones_promoters_croissance_hormonaux_stimulateurs-eng.php
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of cow's milk as a child. I'm fortunate to be Canadian, because added antibiotics and growth hormones in our dairy supply is illegal and the fine is a VERY hefty penalty.

Just for the record, added antibiotics is not legal in the US either.

The milk truck takes a sample on each farm when he picks up the milk. When he delivers the milk, they test the truck for antibiotics. If the truck tests positive, they dump the whole truck of milk and check the samples to see who shipped milk with antibiotic residue, and bill the offending farmer for the milk.

Yes this. This is why they made us memorize meat and milk withdrawal times for permitted food animal antibiotics in vet school. If you give a conventional dairy cow antibiotics, you cannot put her milk in the tank for the period of time it takes the drugs to leave her system.

If you have an organic cow, you can never put her milk in the tank again if she's had antibiotics. You have to sell her to a non organic herd or ship her for hamburger. Whatever you do with her, you must remove her from the organic herd.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with it. Great source of essential fatty acids, calcium, and vitamin D.

You just wait to introduce it till after a year or so, and gradually introduce it. Small amounts. Watch for any allergic reactions, diarrhea, or stomach pain.

I suspect she will be able to tolerate it fine especially if her parents are able to drink it.

If you think about it before the invention of formula if you didnt have goats you were giving babies cow's milk. Not that this is recommended but people have been drinking it for thousands of years.