Carb binge after strict keto

Options
I had a binge on everything sugary I could find last night after a week and a half of <10g carbs ketogenic diet.

It's the next day and I have probably had about 20g of carbs today, but I feel very nauseous and the more serious one is I feel quite unhinged mentally. I feel like I could just freak out and punch a hole in the wall or something.

When will I feel better? Please help!

Replies

• ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is balance and calorie counting. The premise is off to begin with.
  • SnTsMum
    SnTsMum Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is balance and calorie counting. The premise is off to begin with.
    Premise?

I was doing 5/30/65, isn't that what I was supposed to do?

Oh sorry, I realised that you were saying don't do low carb.

I kind of have to, I have an eating disorder and can't seem to eat carbs without binging on them.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Maybe Keto isn't for you.

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges
    2. Mentally unhinges you.

This does not sound healthy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

Agreed....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well you know the general consensus here will be never to go onto a ketogenic diet again especially at those low levels. As you have experienced it has set you up for some negative consequences and now you are basically going through a little carb refeeding syndrome. Plus, I'm sure part of that unhinged mentality is somehow you feel like you failed.

However, you havent failed. You've learned a valuable lesson. Strict avoidance of any food especially one of our 3 macronutrients can set you up for a binge.

If you feel that low carbohydrate is the way to go then you may want to consider a diabetic diet. Stick to about 45-75g of carbohydrates a meal and 15-30 of carbohydrates a snack. Since I assume you are not a diabetic a range of 200g/day is perfectly acceptable and will give your brain the feeling of fullness and provide you with essential fiber and B vitamins. Whole grains, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes are all lovely foods and provide so many antioxidants and nutirition that our omnivore bodies need.

I wish you the best. You will feel better. Take your time drink some water, have some protein and fat. Then start again tomorrow with an attitude of the inherent healthfulness in all foods.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Premise?

I was doing 5/30/65, isn't that what I was supposed to do?

Oh sorry, I realised that you were saying don't do low carb.

I kind of have to, I have an eating disorder and can't seem to eat carbs without binging on them.

If you feel carbohydrates are fueling your binges than it's essential you portion control them, but do NOT remove them. Focus on the whole grains it might take you away from that binge mindset.
  • SnTsMum
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

Problem is, I binge anyway regardless of whether I am on a ketogenic diet or not. I was feeling great before I ate sugar, I had never felt so stable in my mood and energy levels.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had a binge on everything sugary I could find last night after a week and a half of <10g carbs ketogenic diet.

It's the next day and I have probably had about 20g of carbs today, but I feel very nauseous and the more serious one is I feel quite unhinged mentally. I feel like I could just freak out and punch a hole in the wall or something.

You'll feel much better as soon as you stop this silly ketogenic diet. There's a reason your body doesn't want to go into keto, you know.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

Agreed....

Agreed, agreed. If you have an eating disorder you shouldn't be on any "diet" anyway. Instead, you should be focusing on finding a healthy relationship with food. Please seek professional help, it will do a lot more for you than following a diet that makes you want to punch a hole in a wall will.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Problem is, I binge anyway regardless of whether I am on a ketogenic diet or not. I was feeling great before I ate sugar, I had never felt so stable in my mood and energy levels.

Stop going on binges.

If you literally absolutely can't help yourself, then it's time to seek professional help. Absolutely serious about that. If you cannot exercise any level of self-control over your food intake, you need a hand.

Your problem is not carbs.
  • SnTsMum
    Options

You'll feel much better as soon as you stop this silly ketogenic diet. There's a reason your body doesn't want to go into keto, you know.

I was in keto though, went into it really quickly and without any 'flu'. I was fine until I binged.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

As an ED sufferer myself I have a question for you. Was your mood good and your energy levels high because of the diet or because you felt in control?

In other words, did you feel good because you were sticking to the diet, doing great, knew your plan, and felt like it was manageable?
  • SnTsMum
    Options

Stop going on binges.

If you literally absolutely can't help yourself, then it's time to seek professional help. Absolutely serious about that. If you cannot exercise any level of self-control over your food intake, you need a hand.

Your problem is not carbs.

I have received a whole lot of expensive therapy for eating disorder not otherwise specified. It hasn't helped me so far.
  • SnTsMum
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

As an ED sufferer myself I have a question for you. Was your mood good and your energy levels high because of the diet or because you felt in control?

In other words, did you feel good because you were sticking to the diet, doing great, knew your plan, and felt like it was manageable?
    I felt good because I was actually eating for a change (although my cals were only 600-1000 per day) and the food was filling. I wasn't getting exhausted by 1pm every day either.

I realise I am going to get a whole lot of "don't eat that low". I don't lose any weight at 1200+. My metabolism is naffed.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am no dietician but I have found it helps to try and stick with minimally processed foods. I eat carbs but usually brown rice or oat meal with occasional pasta but I couldn't tell you the last time I had crackers or "packaged/processed" snacks. I try to stick to an apple and a string cheese, nuts or cottage cheese w/ pineapple.
    I guess it would also be helpful to know what KIND of carbs---snackies or bread or soda?? or good carbs??
    Good luck---we all have our triggers (mine is ice cream)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have received a whole lot of expensive therapy for eating disorder not otherwise specified. It hasn't helped me so far.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it will anyway.

MFP cannot fix your eating disorder. If a lot of therapy did not help you, random strangers on the internet won't be able to help you either. Find another therapist, maybe. I don't know. I wish you the best. You need to form healthy relationships with food and not go on various extreme diets.
  • SnTsMum
    Options
    I am no dietician but I have found it helps to try and stick with minimally processed foods. I eat carbs but usually brown rice or oat meal with occasional pasta but I couldn't tell you the last time I had crackers or "packaged/processed" snacks. I try to stick to an apple and a string cheese, nuts or cottage cheese w/ pineapple.
    I guess it would also be helpful to know what KIND of carbs---snackies or bread or soda?? or good carbs??
    Good luck---we all have our triggers (mine is ice cream)

List of what I ate:
    Chocolate coconut biscuits
    Triple chocolate biscuits
    Chocolate and peanut butter brownie
    Chocolate bars
    Chocolate milk

I have a chocolate weakness.
  • SnTsMum
    Options

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it will anyway.

MFP cannot fix your eating disorder. If a lot of therapy did not help you, random strangers on the internet won't be able to help you either. Find another therapist, maybe. I don't know. I wish you the best. You need to form healthy relationships with food and not go on various extreme diets.

I was only wanting to know when the nausea/mood swings would disappear from the binge. Not for help with my ED. Sorry for troubling you.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

I felt good because I was actually eating for a change (although my cals were only 600-1000 per day) and the food was filling. I wasn't getting exhausted by 1pm every day either.

:cry: so in addition to lacking carbohydrates you were lacking calories. No wonder you slipped. Your thoughts might have told you that you felt good, but I bet your body was begging for food. Maybe one day (and I know it's a daily battle) you can find that happy, moderate balance between having a great relationship with food.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Your diet plan:
    1. Causes binges

Agreed....

This is not healthy!!! It happened to me too!! I love my carbs..