You're Getting to Skinny?! Do you hear it

Options
I have gone from 172lbs at beginning of the year to now 138lbs. I keep hearing, I am getting TO Skinny. Please don't lose more weight! You need to eat! I by no means am super thin and STILL have FAT to lose. It can just be so frustrating at times. I eat A LOT and have a cpl to many cheats but work my butt off and will continue to. I know it shouldn't bother me darn it, it does though. I am not looking to be skinny, I want to be fit and STRONG.

Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    People have a hard time distinguishing fit vs skinny because they are surrounded with fat.

grats by the way

inspired
  • AnchoredinHimfitness
    Options
    Thank you. It just has been getting to me lately. I KNOW it shouldn't though. You get flack for being to Big and then for being to "small"!
    People have a hard time distinguishing fit vs skinny because they are surrounded with fat.

grats by the way

inspired
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on this!!! It gets so frustrating as Amadbro pointed out....fit and skinny are not the same things and my goal is to be fit! Thin or skinny is just the "horrible" side effect lol. I heard it the most for the first 6-8 months I was losing and had lost the bulk of my weight (about 40-45 lbs). Now it's eased up quite a bit which is nice, but my family still will occasionally make comments about fitness things I post on my fb page or they'll notice I follow someone who is extremely fit and they say "Don't you try to look like that!!" My answer is why not?? Do they not understand that these women don't walk around like they're ready for a show all the time and they look completely "normal" when not prepping? I just don't get it, and I guess as the table turns, some of them will never get our view point. Keep going strong girl!!! You're a huge inspiration!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I get it from people who don't work out and have no idea of what fit or healthy really is/looks like. I've never heard that from people who care about their health and fitness though. It's 2 totally different populations.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I only have one friend at work that I can talk to about working out/weight loss who gets it. She's on MFP. All others always say my "Before" would be their "After". That doesn't matter to me. I'm not judging myself compared to them. Just want to be the best I can be. So I ignore them.
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are... If you are still within or close to your recommended ranges...I would ignore the comments... as someone else said as a society we are accustomed to larger sizes...look at the waistlines of women before the 1950's for example
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not since I was a teenager. Probably because I'm not skinny though.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've only ever heard it from a jealous friend. Her and I have always had a "competitive" friendship and she was actually visibly annoyed at me when I started on MFP after she told me about it. I kept up with it, where she really didn't and the first time she saw me after awhile, all she told me was that I was getting too skinny lol. And I definitely wasn't and am not what one would consider SKINNY.

I was like, "...thanks... -_-"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    my "regular" friends...and frankly the one's I'm closes to would probably all unanimously agree that I don't need to lose anymore weight...and from a health standpoint, they would be right...I'm at a perfectly healthy BF% though it's on the high end of healthy for my stats..but to them I look downright anorexic at 19/20% BF because they're all at least 25% and most of them are as obese as I was a year ago if not more. Conversely, my gym buddies give me **** about my spare tire and ask me when I'm going to get my shred on....

My "regular" friends give me crap about keeping such a "strict" fitness schedule and fitness regimen...they make jokes like, "look at Wolf...he's trying to live forever." They don't understand that it's really not that huge a deal to go lift some weights a few times per week and run a few miles here and there and hop on a bicycle once in awhile....but to them, that's some serious ****. Conversely, my buddies at the gym are like, "what...you only logged 10 miles running and 30 in the saddle this week...and your legs are sore so you're not squatting today? Wuss!"

You have two completely and totally different populations.

That said, I do know people who've taken their weight-loss too far and have been at dangerously low BF% and I have spoken up...they usually don't listen because they just think I'm a haterz.. by your pictures though, you probably don't fall into that category...but it does happen and sometimes real concern just gets shrugged off and people get hurt and end up sick, in the hospital, and worse...so just keep that in mind too.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm still a porker. Oink Oink.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Yes... The people who say it are usually out of shape themselves.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    yes i hear it all the time. just tell them you are lean.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I hear this from a couple of friends and I think it's ridiculous as I know I'm not "skinny", nor do I want to be. I agree with pp's who said they don't know fit vs skinny :smile:
  • AcidWords21
    AcidWords21 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hear this everyday & it is a compliment but at the same time these people that say it don't see the fit side of it. I'm sure I've dropped quite a bit but I feel more fit than I do skinny but I'm not totally skinny & don't want to be.

Congrats by the way! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep :ohwell: ...they tell me I'm going to be skin and bones. :frown:

This is the look I get when I tell them I have 25 more pounds to go. :noway:

I just keep at it. :bigsmile:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes I get this all the time as well and its soooooo frustrating! Like one guy mentioned its always the ones that are out of shape themselves. What I want to say to each and everyone that tells me this is LET ME DO ME and YOU do YOU! STAY IN YOUR LANE! lol
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Mostly when I tell people I still need to drop 20+ more lbs they think I look ok already. :bigsmile:
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look amazing in BOTH pictures! But, wow! Great work! Don't listen...as long as you are healthy you are good! Congratulations!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i peaked out at 170, and I now weight 130... I have been hearing that line since 2011.. lol :)

My mom told me the other day "you are skinner now than you were when you were 5 years old. I don't think you eat enough food"
    My boyfriend chimed in "YOU are SERIOUSLY getting skinnier every single day"

I've weighed the exact same weight for 2.5 years... lol My boyfriend never knew me at any other weight. People are weird..
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I must say the work you have put in is really paying off from looking at your pics. Smokin hot comes to mind. Keep it up! :happy: