My Cocktail Menu got bad reviews.

Options
Anyway. I'm catering a cocktail party and my wife had a few girl friends over and because one of the girls was going to be at this party asked to see the menu. Apparently the *kitten* hit the fan......too much protein, too much fat, poutine is unhealthy, pork belly will cause heart disease, too many carbs etc.......We both had a good laugh, but really, people seem to totally forget about context and dosage.......that's all, not earth shattering news, just the same old same old paranoia that seems so prevalent everywhere, except here of course. :wink:

Here's the dreaded deadly menu in question.

Onion Soup with Blue Cheese and Roasted Apple Skewers

Lobster Slider in a Choux Paste chive bun

Asian Style Pork Belly

Salmon Gravlax on Tarragon Blini’s with Sour Cream and fried Capers

Duck Confit Poutine

Blue Cheese Soufflés with Poached Pear and Walnuts

Ahi Tuna Taco’s

Rib Eye, Red Onion Marmalade, Garlic Aioli on Focaccia

Boursin with Grilled Mushroom, Red Pepper Compote on Crostini

Lamb sticks with Moroccan Spices

Cheese and Charcuterie Table
Oyster Bar
Assorted Desserts

EDIT: spelling

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing. Someone needs to get a life!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it does sound utterly delicious, but, if I were a more fussy or strict eater then I can just about see the issue, but, whatever, thems some good noms.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not seeing many veggies there.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    It's a cocktail party. Who needs veggies?
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can I come please?
    It all sounds delicious
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Can I get an invite? That sounds delicious!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's a cocktail party! What did they expect? Carrot sticks and hummus?
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nobody has to eat the food if it 'offends' them lol. It all sounds really tasty and even if you are on a very strict diet a treat as an exception isn't going to ruin everything. I would never impose my dieting on anyone else, it's not their problem i'm sticking to a certain number of calories a day!
    They sound lucky, there are some really imaginative combinations there, sounds yum :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'll have her invite.

Seriously though, I would never go to a party and expect them to cater specifically for me - unless perhaps you have vegetarians going, then it's always nice to include a veggie-friendly dish. If someone kicked off about the food, I'd tell them to either not eat it, or not turn up.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous. I would definitely come and eat everything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I'll have her invite.

Seriously though, I would never go to a party and expect them to cater specifically for me - unless perhaps you have vegetarians going, then it's always nice to include a veggie-friendly dish. If someone kicked off about the food, I'd tell them to either not eat it, or not turn up.
    I always ask the host about nutritional needs for their guests and apparently it was full steam ahead. Saying that, 3 dishes could be vegetarian and I could adapt on the fly for any requests and the cheese table will have a variety of crudites and other foods that could fill that request.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes please to it all! If people are worried about diet they need to get over themselves and realise it's only one meal.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How rude of this person. The menu was approved by the hostess and that's all she needs to know. To complain to the chef about food that hasn't even been prepared yet for a party she isn't throwing is the height of arrogance. Having said that, maybe you can increase your traffic and profit margin by suggesting to future clients that they include something lighter/vegan too. Cheers!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Would you mind inviting me to this party?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    It sounds yummy to me but honestly you have to think of your audience/guests. Blue cheese (which I personally love) is not everyone's cup of tea for example. Maybe incorporate some more mainstream options as well?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    It sounds yummy to me but honestly you have to think of your audience/guests. Blue cheese (which I personally love) is not everyone's cup of tea for example. Maybe incorporate some more mainstream options as well?
    What about people that don't like duck, or eat pork, others won't eat gravlax, it's almost raw you know, and quite a few people turn their nose up with lamb and lobster is just an ocean bug that some will never eat. I see your point about mainstream, but to me this is a pretty mainstream and safe menu.........
  • neanderthin
    Options
    How rude of this person. The menu was approved by the hostess and that's all she needs to know. To complain to the chef about food that hasn't even been prepared yet for a party she isn't throwing is the height of arrogance. Having said that, maybe you can increase your traffic and profit margin by suggesting to future clients that they include something lighter/vegan too. Cheers!
    Actually the woman that is going to this party, loved the menu. Understand that this was for comical relief considering any menu will be nutritionally dissected and found to have many, many serious shortcoming based on the ever expanding nutritional landscape that is the diet industry.....which thrives on soundbites as opposed to the big picture...... you know the one, where no food is inherently bad.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I assume the host knows the majority of his guests will like the foods and has approved the menu. People should take it up with the host, not the caterer. It looks like a lot of work and an amazing menu ( though not my taste,but I'd still go if my friend invited me and just nibble at the cheese and dessert tables. Will there be chocolate?)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I assume the host knows the majority of his guests will like the foods and has approved the menu. People should take it up with the host, not the caterer. It looks like a lot of work and an amazing menu ( though not my taste,but I'd still go if my friend invited me and just nibble at the cheese and dessert tables. Will there be chocolate?)
    Thanks. Yes 2 full days of prep and of course of course there will be chocolate. :happy:
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The friend can go chew a wasp while everyone else partakes in the culinary delights!