can you stll lose belly fat and have carbs?

Options
so i am on my journey to be more lean and get rid of the spare tire i have for a belly lol. i wanted to know if its still ok to consume carbs because i have people say its a no no for belly fat and some say its fine. i love rice esp white but i don't have too much of it, just 1 cup. i am confused?!!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause fat. Calorie surpluses cause fat. Eat a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. Resistance traing and you will retain muscle.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Have you read this link that was provided for you the other day?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

I can't remember if this one was provided in your other thread or not, but this one is a good read also...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

But to answer your question, you can have carbs.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't lose belly fat. You lose fat all over, where ever it wants to come off. Doesn't matter if you eat Twinkies or tofu, as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. Burning off belly fat is a myth.
  • PeterCohenUK
    Options
    Yes. Eat the right carbs (not excessive) and at the same time do some exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have found that since I cut out wheat (ever read the book, Wheat Belly?) and added sugar that I have lost a disproportionate share of abdominal fat. I used to just lose it all over when I was at a higher percentage of carbs. Now, I limit my carbs to 20% and still avoid the added sugar and wheat. I eat a bit of organic, sourdough rye and oatmeal almost every morning. Other than that, I get my carbs from veggies and fruits. :smile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have found that since I cut out wheat (ever read the book, Wheat Belly?) and added sugar that I have lost a disproportionate share of abdominal fat. I used to just lose it all over when I was at a higher percentage of carbs. Now, I limit my carbs to 20% and still avoid the added sugar and wheat. I eat a bit of organic, sourdough rye and oatmeal almost every morning. Other than that, I get my carbs from veggies and fruits. :smile:

Wheat Belly is absolute nonsense. Your claims are equally ridiculous.

OP, do not listen to this person.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I gain three pants sizes everytime I eat a bowl of cereal.

True story.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?
  • valeris9
    Options
    uh calorie surplus is what puts on fat
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The first place to gain fat, is the last place you'll lose it. In other words, if you're more likely to gain fat in your abdomen primarily, that means that it will be the last to go. There's no magic diet, pill, program, food, or drink that will make it magically disappear, short of surgery. There are exercises that can help tone and tighten, by gaining muscle in that area. I really like prone jackknife's since I have a tendency to pull on my neck with situps or crunches. Plus they really kick abs! You can google it. ;) I do a weight lifting book, which has be doing 3 sets of 10-15, about 2-3 times/week, plus crunches. However, all the crunches in the world aren't going to get you flat abs. Only weight loss, through diet and exercise. Sorry... :(
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Wheat Belly is absolute nonsense. Your claims are equally ridiculous.

OP, do not listen to this person.

Still your usual rudeness, I see. :heart: What exactly is ridiculous about what I have said? I have lost a little less than six pounds in the last four months--yet I have gone down a size in jeans and the ones I am wearing right now are loose around the waist. You have posted nothing in support of your claims yet you feel free to insult those who have actual experience with what they claim. Tsk-tsk. For shame!
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The first place to gain fat, is the last place you'll lose it. In other words, if you're more likely to gain fat in your abdomen primarily, that means that it will be the last to go. There's no magic diet, pill, program, food, or drink that will make it magically disappear, short of surgery. There are exercises that can help tone and tighten, by gaining muscle in that area. I really like prone jackknife's since I have a tendency to pull on my neck with situps or crunches. Plus they really kick abs! You can google it. ;) I do a weight lifting book, which has be doing 3 sets of 10-15, about 2-3 times/week, plus crunches. However, all the crunches in the world aren't going to get you flat abs. Only weight loss, through diet and exercise. Sorry... :(

but will belly fat eventually go away without the need of surgery?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

but will belly fat eventually go away without the need of surgery?

If you get your body fat level down, it will go off your abdomen too. We are all genetically programed to gain body fat in certain areas--but even those areas will slim down when you drop the percentage of body fat.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause fat. Calorie surpluses cause fat. Eat a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. Resistance traing and you will retain muscle.

What he said.

OMG .. why is it that people have such screwed up ideas about carbs. Like honestly ?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

What he said.

OMG .. why is it that people have such screwed up ideas about carbs. Like honestly ?

Because many, many women have a difficult relationship with carbohydrates for many reasons. Men do not understand how a woman's hormones affect the gain or loss of body fat.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think that sugar is a far bigger issue than carbs. But what do I know anyways. Continue on ....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I think that sugar is a far bigger issue than carbs. But what do I know anyways. Continue on ....

Sugar is a carb.

But sugar is not an issue either, unless you're diabetic or have some other medical condition.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?

Just think about it for a minute. This whole low carb thing started just recently. There have been, and are, a lot of fit low bodyfat people who eat tons of carbs. Most people who are fit and low bodyfat eat lots of carbs. Pro athletes all eat tons of carbs; they couldn't perform if they didn't.