Hey Runners - Is a HRM a need??

Options
I am new to running (training for a half marathon). At this point I want "needs" not "wants". I have read that a GPS watch is a "need" since its easier to see/judge your progress mid-run than your iPhone. Makes sense. However, other say you need a GPS watch that also had a HRM chest strap. So, my question is: Is the HRM really a need.

I have been looking at the basic Garmin 10, which would serve my GPS purpose just fine, but I don't want to get stuck with a $100 watch if in a month or two I want the HRM feature as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider needs.

A GPS watch for me isn't a need - my iPhone apps all work just fine together to give me pace, distance, total time, etc. They have audible cues to let me know all the things I want to know.

A HRM was cool, but once the battery died in the watch, and I went without for a while, I discovered it wasn't a "need" for me either, just a toy.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM with chest strap (60 bucks) and I use it with the running apps on my iphone. I like having the HRM because it lets me know how many calories I burn, and I keep an eye on my HR and I know that I need to slow down when it gets too high. I like to keep it within a certain range. I wouldn't consider myself a "runner" though. I just like having it when I do run.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    A GPS watch isn't a "need" for me either...I use my Android phone and Runkeeper. It gives me the audible cues I need, and I can run my training app at the same time. If you have an iPhone, they make HRM's that will plug into the charger portion of your iPhone and sync with the HRM app. I haven't found this to be a need yet either, as I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories just 50%. So knowing how much I really burned doesn't matter much to me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would say it is more of a "tool" rather than a need. I mostly run based on perceived rate of exertion. Every once in a while I will strap on my HRM to see what it is. But the number is basically meaningless since I do not know my true max HR. It always comes back to PRE for me. However, I would say that my GPS is a need. If you are trying to save a few bucks, I would say that the Garmin 10 is all you really need.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 110 without the HRM. It all boils down to an individual runner's preference. Good luck!
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HRM defintely not a need. But....its really cool to have. I never would have spent the money for GPS/HRM, but my wife gave it to me and I love it.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 450CX which uses GPS and also includes the HRM strap; however, I *rarely* use it, except when I need a precise measurment of my time and distance, and I almost never use the HRM. I go by perceived exertion (but, I'm not too obsesseive about specific calorie counts, either). On most of my runs I use my Nike+ app, instead. It's not perfect, but it does just fine, and I can avoid messing around with yet another piece of technology while running. Only you will know if you need/want to be that precise; otherwise, regular smartphone apps or an inexpensive Garmin will do just fine for basic tracking.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me a HRM was essential for me starting to learn to run. I failed time and time again because I didn't know how to pace myself and would go out too fast and burn out before I really even got started. My HRM was an essential tool for me to track my pace and keep my heart rate in a productive range. C25k is an interval program which largely does the same thing but I found that by adjusting my pace according to my heart rate that I was able to keep my progress pretty consistent and in the end became a runner.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on your goals, but I don't consider either to really be a need. The only thing I need to run is decent sneakers. GPS and an HRM certainly have their uses and benefits, but it's hard for me to call them needs.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For me a HRM was essential for me starting to learn to run. I failed time and time again because I didn't know how to pace myself and would go out too fast and burn out before I really even got started. My HRM was an essential tool for me to track my pace and keep my heart rate in a productive range. C25k is an interval program which largely does the same thing but I found that by adjusting my pace according to my heart rate that I was able to keep my progress pretty consistent and in the end became a runner.

Me too. I found that I could manage my exertion level better by using a HRM. Then I found the Maffetone Method ( http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula ) and my HRM became indispensable.
  • Jme2209
    Jme2209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats on becoming a runner!

I have the Garmin 10 and absolutely love it!

I do not use a HRM and have found that I don't really need it. The Garmin 10 gives you a rough calorie breakdown based on your speed and weight which from what I understand is pretty accurate.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend or PM me!

I have lost 80 lbs in the process of becoming a runner (calorie reduction also) and I am currently training for a 10 mile run at the end of this month.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Nothing you said is a need ;)

I ran for 6 years with out anything. Just me, shoes, shirt, and shorts.
    I ran for 10 years with just a watch, many years just guessing how far I went with a car's odometer or just time spent and RPE. Then once google maps/mapmyrun/etc got good, I mapped either before or after with one.
    I got a GPS watch a couple years ago (FR 405). It just takes a step out - I still went by RPE.
    A year later, I got a HR strap. Only used it for post run analysis, mostly.
    About 6 months ago, I lost the strap. Nothing else changed, except that I don't look at HRs after a run.

You only NEED shoes. Everything else is a want.

You don't need a watch at all. Just go run. You can train by RPE. If you want to track, a watch would be helpful to track your improvement, but you still run by RPE.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think so! The HRM can tell you how much effort your putting in to your run by tracking your heart rate which is important to me as a long distance runner. I'm also training for a half marathon. The HRM can also tell you how many calories you burn on your runs which is good info. I know Polar has HRM that also has a GPS so you get the best of both worlds. For me, it's a need because my HRM tracks my progress as far as my fitness level. I run and strength train and use the Polar FT60. I think eventually you'll want to have one, so I'd get one.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Strictly for running, I agree with the general majority here: a nice tool, but you can do without. It does help with figuring out your productive pace, and it has been nice for me to watch my average heart rate fall as my performance increases. It's just a nice thing, though. I think that without it, I could have made the same progress.

Agree with what someone above said: all you NEED is a good pair of shoes! Get fitted. This is the best advice I ever got when I was getting into running.

THAT SAID, I started running WHILE trying to lose weight. I had no idea how much running shreds calories. I had to eat A. LOT. to compensate for my long runs, and I think I wouldn't have known where to start if I didn't have my HRM. Knowing how much I burned helped me eat well and recover well, and I think I would have under-ate if I hadn't had an HRM.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would "need" a HRM is if you want to monitor your HR and as part of your goals, work in different HR zones...that is all I use mine for...but really after awhile you learn to just feel where you are at and you don't need the visual. I only wear mine occasionally now, usually if I'm picking up some exercise that I haven't done in awhile again.

The GPS watch is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call that a need either. I use my phone so I can listen to music and use a running app called RunKeeper...it talks to me every five minutes and tells me my time and distance...I can also program workouts into it and the app basically acts like a coach telling me when to warm up, run slow, run fast, run slow, walk, run fast, cool down, etc.

all you really need to run is a pair of good running shoes that you've been properly fitted for and proper attire.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 that I initially bought to help me figure out my calorie burns, but when I became a runner and was in training for my first half I found that a gps watch was essential. I started out pre-mapping my routes on mapmyrun, but found myself stifled when I wanted to take a spontaneous turn when I had a certain milage I was aiming for. I got a Garmin Forerunner 10. Absolutely love it, now I can run where ever I want and know exactly how far I've gone. The calorie burns between the two watches aren't the same and I tend to trust the polar watch because I've relied on it much longer, but since going with the TDEE-15% method I don't worry so much about the calorie burn, only the milage and use my hrm less. I know enough now that I can judge my heart rate based on the pacing the gps watch gives me, so I rarely wear the hrm during training runs anymore.

If I was just now making decisions on what to buy, I would get a gps that also had a hrm just so I wouldn't have to wear two watches. But if money is an issue and you had to choose just one feature to fit in your budget and your primary use is running definitely go with the gps over a hrm. Nothing beats being able to know your pace and distance.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The only *need* for running is shoes. Even that's debatable.

A HRM is a very useful tool, however. When I got back into running I didn't use any tools. I didn't follow a plan, and took no devices to track my progress. I just went out and ran. After about 5 months I entered my first 10k and I ran a 45:00-something.
    I ran my first half marathon, again after zero specific training, and with no tools. I didn't even bring my phone with me on some runs. Some days I didn't even take a watch to time the run.
    I ran a 1:47:30
    I will admit it wasn't an efficient method and my times suffered for it but training can be done without tools.

In regards to a HRM, I personally started using one when I deliberately started training to break the 1:30 barrier for a Half. I use it to monitor my fatigue. Since I know my max HR (from recording it with a HRM)is 200BPM I can calculate my aerobic and lactate thresholds. When I compare that to the pace I'm running, I can tell if I need to adjust my training schedule due to fatigue.
    for example, some days I can maintain an 8 min/mile pace at a HR of 155-160. Some days My HR is 165+ at that same pace, so I slow down to avoid digging the fatigue hole even deeper.
    Since I know my max HR is 200, 160bpm (80%)is the aerobic ceiling for a standard long run. I use it to the same effect to measure recovery runs where I want my HR below 140-ish.

If you aren't following a training plan, no, a HRM is not a need. All you need is google earth to figure mileage and a watch to time the run.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! These answers are all very, very helpful to me!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only *need* for running is shoes. Even that's debatable.

Ha! I do not see me as a barefoot runner!!
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Get one - not only to set your pace and to time your runs but also to track your calories burned. VERY helpful for losing weight.