Hey Runners - Is a HRM a need??

Options
2»

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    used to have a HRM and since it's crapped out on me I don't miss it. It took a while to get used to not looking at my wrist every couple mins, but I have a pink champion watch from target that was like $10 that works just fine with keeping my pace.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin Forerunner for a while- used the chest strap for a bit, then ditched it. Now I just run with my iPhone and Runkeeper.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would think only proper sneakers and dry-wick clothing are my only needs.

I use the endomondo app on my android phone for GPS tracking - does distance, pace, time per mile, calories for workout, etc.. --- all of that stuff i don't even look at until my run is complete.

I feel like anything else and I would be overthinking my running and enjoying it a lot less.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose weight in the process? If yes, a HRM would definitely be more beneficial since it'll be more accurate in recording your calories burned for you to track than what MFP or gym machines calculate. If you are simply training and going by mileage and don't care so much about calories, then a phone app would probably be good enough.

However, even if you aren't trying to lose weight in the process, it may still be helpful to have a HRM so you know how much more you should be eating because as your miles increase, you're going to need more food/fuel.

I currently use a $70 HRM watch with chest strap from Best Buy, the Sportline Duo I believe, and I use the runtastic app as it syncs automatically with MFP. After my run, I do need to change the calories burned in the app because it's lower than what my HRM shows, but it lets you make that change.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a need. It is a useful tool to track progress and put forth the proper effort.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above me. It depends on your goals.

I use a HRM to tell me how many calories I burn. MFP has a way of really over estimating calories burned.

Also, I'm starting a Maffetone Method of increasing running speed and distance. So I use my HRM to make sure that I don't go over in my Heart Rate.

I use Runkeeper to track my distance/pace and C210k Free by Zen labs.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, the fact that you're already considering a HRM means that you will eventually "need" one. Within a few days of using a non-HRM watch, you'll be wishing you had a HRM.

This is November. See what goes on sale for Black Friday. :-)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Needs -

Purpose made running shoes
    Comfortable and weather appropriate clothes.
    Water bottle (for longer runs)

Nice to have -

My iPhone
    Headphones
    An arm strap to carry my iPhone
    Endomondo premium account (for the training plan)

Luxuries (probably won't buy but would be happy to receive as gift) -

HRM
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've never used a HRM and don't see the need. I've been running over 2 years, and have no clue what my HR is when I run!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Of the two an HRM is probably of more value in the near term, but I'd agree that it's probably less important than other kit. That said you can now get bluetooth HRM that'll hook up to your phone and integrate with Runkeeper or Endomondo.

For recreational running a GPS is very much a nice to have, you're not going to need to monitor distance and routing that closely.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Strictly for running, I agree with the general majority here: a nice tool, but you can do without. It does help with figuring out your productive pace, and it has been nice for me to watch my average heart rate fall as my performance increases. It's just a nice thing, though. I think that without it, I could have made the same progress.

Agree with what someone above said: all you NEED is a good pair of shoes! Get fitted. This is the best advice I ever got when I was getting into running.

THAT SAID, I started running WHILE trying to lose weight. I had no idea how much running shreds calories. I had to eat A. LOT. to compensate for my long runs, and I think I wouldn't have known where to start if I didn't have my HRM. Knowing how much I burned helped me eat well and recover well, and I think I would have under-ate if I hadn't had an HRM.

In most forms "me too's" are frowned upon, but dang it, this deserves a "Me too!"

So, +1 for this post.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM pretty regularly and I find it especially helpful during longer races like half marathon.
    A lot of people - me included - have a tendency to get excited and try to run too fast in the beginning. Or sometimes I will catch myself going too hard when I am feeling good mid-race. That is often a mistake.
    If you have a target HR zone, the HRM can provide a discipline to help you stay at your best whole-race pace.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Just get one - the Polar FT4 is around $50 and all the batteries are replaceable. You won't regret it and you'll lose more weight because you won't overrestimate/underestimate your calories.... plus it really really helps for improving your running because you know when to slow down your pace if you're going to fast which lets you run farther in my experience.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For me, I've got one and enjoy all the features. Is it useful.....yes (pace, distance, etc). But do absolutely "need" it.......nope.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Black Friday...there's a good idea. I wonder what I need?
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think my needs are decent shoes, a really good sports bra, and some lycra to prevent chafe ewwwwwwwww.

I have a Garmin 10 as I wanted to figure out my pace, and how I tire but then again, I don't have a digital watch nor an iphone :noway: Best of luck with your half!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT something. I wore it for a while in the beginning- i really loved it. It told me how far, fast, HR, cals burned, and more importantly it gave me a graph of daily activity. I kept running because i didn't want to see a gap in the graph! Didn't have GPS on it though, but I plan my runs using geodistance.com usually so i already know my route.
    I stopped using it after about 6 months. I just got fed up of the strap losing my heart rate. I got fed up with having to readjust it all the time. And i moved on.
    I moved onto a Nike Sportsband. It doesn't have GPS. but it has a thingy that you attach to your shoe, and a watch (which is really a pendrive). It logs distance, speed, cals, etc, and is way more comfy. And you just plug the toggle into your computer and enter a whole other world! There's a site that you link into and it monitors everything.
    So I say a HRM is not really necessary. If you're going to give one a go, try and get a 2nd hand one or borrow one first to see if you like it.
    Running really isn't that complicated unless you're at expert level and are competing. For me there are 3 speeds- stop, run, and run a bit faster for a shorter time. I don't need to know what my HR is to do that properly.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I ran for over a year including two half marathons with a GPS watch or a HRM. I did have one of these NIke+ things o measure distance roughly (works the same as your iPhone app) which did me fine. I know have a GPS watch with HRM (TomTom Runner) and I'm in love with it, but you don't "need" it. I do particularly enjoy the HRM feature, I've started doing a lot of runs by heart rate zone instead of pace and that has led to both faster tempo runs and slower (more valuable) recovery runs.

Bottom line: I love my GPS + HRM but you don't need it. WHen you're starting out, put that money towards decent shoes instead and if you still want it in a year, buy it.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you *need* one? No. Really you don't need a GPS either. Or shoes (I've seen somebody running barefoot when it was around 0 degrees Celsius... seriously thought the dude was insane but also badass).

I'm currently pretty interested in some of the Polar HRM/GPS combos, as they claim they can analyze your runs and notify you when/where you're running less efficiently than you're capable of. Since I'm also training for a more obstacle races, a half-marathon and probably a marathon it seems to me like learning how to maximize efficiency is probably not a bad idea.

In general my own attitude is if it's something I really want, and might actually need, and it's associated with something I *know* I love doing I get it. (Plus I'm cheap so once I drop the cash I'll run even in the Canadian winter because I darn well better use my shiny new gadget.) :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Not really, because I don't need it to run. All you really need are some comfortable running shoes. However, when I have an awesome run I like seeing my heart rate and the calorie burn. I also like to see it on those rare days when I have a bad run or ran an unfamiliar area. It's helpful to see if your working too hard or not hard enough.