Polite response to a situation at the gym...Help

Options
I am normally a polite but out spoken person, just a little confused on how to deal with a particular situation that I keep running into at my Gym.

When I am strength training, I use certain machines. I really like the thigh (the one you squeeze and hip-abductor machine, I understand sharing and am normally patient, BUT whenever I go lately there is this one woman who takes up the machine for at least 30 mins. She just sits there texting and moving 10lbs non-stop. She is probably a little overweight, with large (not toned) thighs. I work on the machine with 180lbs. and am over and done very quickly (high weight/low rep). How would you guys handle the situation? I do not want to be rude and say "obviously this is not helping try doing sets with a heavier weight", ok maybe part of me wants to be rude. She is aware people are waiting for the machine and just has no regard for them. I have thought about asking if I could jump on for a few minutes, but I do not think that would go over well. Any ideas? I have already had 3 times I had to skip the machine because she was on it my whole workout.
Any ideas to get to use the machine with out being a total B****.

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Do not make any comments about her appearance at all. Next time, smile and say "mind if I work in with you?" That is all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    She is aware people are waiting for the machine and just has no regard for them.

Why are you assuming she can read your mind?

Just ask her - politely, and with a smile - if you can work/share with her.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Don't be rude. But I see no harm in being friendly and asking if you mind if you could have just a few minutes to share the machine with her. If she has a problem with that, then I would discuss it with one of the managers at the gym (trainers/people at the desk, etc.)

There's no reason why someone should be allowed to take a piece of weight equipment for 30 minutes straight without letting someone else use it.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As a poster said above, don't make comment on her appearance and just ask if you can squeeze a set while she rests.
    There is no reason she would be using the machine for 30 minutes non stop anyways. It ain't a treadmill afterall lol
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Usually guys just say "how many more sets do you have?"

It's code for "hurry the f*k up" lol
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would just ask. Sounds like you're making it a bigger deal in your head than she probably is even aware of. People do that with the squat racks all the time. Just gotta say something!

Oh and ps- I don't think I would recommend doing high weights on the abductor. That's a spot on a ladies body you really don't want to make bigger with muscle. I usually do 50 lbs 20X3.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

This!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try asking next time. I sorta did the first time after 20 mins. I asked how many more sets she had and if I could jump on when she was done. She just looked at me with a dirty look and kept texting. Asking this way always works with the teens that seem to play with the machines, but it didn't with her.
  • Samalama34
    Options
    walk away, & go do squats,deadlifts, & lunges:D
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do not make any comments about her appearance at all. Next time, smile and say "mind if I work in with you?" That is all.

This.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    She has no doubt had to wait for her turn. I'd talk with the gym about getting another machine installed.

Either that, or change your schedule. She has her chosen workout... and you have yours!
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    go at a different time..?
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I'll have to remember that one lol
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Like was already said, just ask if you can work in a few sets. I have never been told no, and I have never told someone no. If she cops an attitude feel free to unload both barrels on her weight. :devil:

Rigger
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Tell the supervisor of the gym that she hogs the machine. Gyms usually have rules about such stuff.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I too would politely ask if you could use the machine for a few minutes if she's been on it a while. Let her know you'll let her back on quickly. I def would not criticize her workout.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

:smile:
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...just politely ask if you can work in your sets. She probably is totally oblivious to people waiting.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If this is a membership gym rather than a public one, I would be inclined to mention her inactivity to one of the staff. She might have all day to play at exercise but the equipment is for all. Let someone else take any flack. Sounds as if she needs a review.

hope you get this resolved soon
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Why the **** is she texting at the gym anyways .. I would be pissed.