• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    walk away, & go do squats,deadlifts, & lunges:D

Ditto.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If this is a membership gym rather than a public one, I would be inclined to mention her inactivity to one of the staff. She might have all day to play at exercise but the equipment is for all. Let someone else take any flack. Sounds as if she needs a review.

hope you get this resolved soon

Yes it is membership. Thanks for all the reply's.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am normally a polite but out spoken person, just a little confused on how to deal with a particular situation that I keep running into at my Gym.

When I am strength training, I use certain machines. I really like the thigh (the one you squeeze and hip-abductor machine, I understand sharing and am normally patient, BUT whenever I go lately there is this one woman who takes up the machine for at least 30 mins. She just sits there texting and moving 10lbs non-stop. She is probably a little overweight, with large (not toned) thighs. I work on the machine with 180lbs. and am over and done very quickly (high weight/low rep). How would you guys handle the situation? I do not want to be rude and say "obviously this is not helping try doing sets with a heavier weight", ok maybe part of me wants to be rude. She is aware people are waiting for the machine and just has no regard for them. I have thought about asking if I could jump on for a few minutes, but I do not think that would go over well. Any ideas? I have already had 3 times I had to skip the machine because she was on it my whole workout.
    Any ideas to get to use the machine with out being a total B****.

You could be passive like me and just do sumo deadlifts and "*kitten* to the grass" squats... those should clear up those muscle groups and then some :)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    "There's a squat rack over there that you could text in. And do curls."
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what her weight or appearance has to do with the situation - so definitely don't mention it. Just ask if you can use the machine after her so she knows that you're waiting for it. If she is non responsive and still hogs the machine, talk to the management. (Though there's not much they do really, other than reinforce that she needs to mosey on along.)
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    So interesting that you include information about the size of her thighs and your thoughts that the machine must not be working for her. Has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the issue of her hogging the machine.

Yes, just find a polite way to ask if you can jump in...no need to try to "fat shame" her. That would be unnecessary and rude on your part.
  • WanaBMom
    WanaBMom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try asking next time. I sorta did the first time after 20 mins. I asked how many more sets she had and if I could jump on when she was done. She just looked at me with a dirty look and kept texting. Asking this way always works with the teens that seem to play with the machines, but it didn't with her.

No one should be allowed to play on the machines this long. Why is there not trainers/managers walking the floor at your gym? Don't be afraid to discuss with them. It's true she may not know what she's doing and that gives the trainers an oppertunity to work with her and get her off the machine. That is insane amount of time.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    walk away, & go do squats,deadlifts, & lunges:D

^^^ THIS WORKS ^^^

QFT.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    She's on it for 30 minutes?

Yeah, regardless of any defenders she may have, that's beyond ridiculous. She needs to be educated (not necessarily by you, but someone).

Just ask if you can work in with her. If she's too dense to get the hint, you might need to sit down in front of her, and stare, until she finishes.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Usually guys just say "how many more sets do you have?"

It's code for "hurry the f*k up" lol

^^THIS^^
    When I was actively going to the gym, this is how we let the other person realize there is someone waiting in a polite way. Good luck.
  • Waitingfornothing
    Options
    If she is sitting there texting and not even using the machine, you need to go tell someone. I went to a gym that was "family orientated" basically mothers brought their teenagers and dumped them on the machines while they used the treadmills. These teens would hang out on the machines talking and texting. One girl did that same thing, she would sit on the machine I needed, do a few reps and then text while she waiting for her parents. Finally I went into the office like "look you have tons of teenagers that hang out on those machines not even doing anything" I was pissed, this went on for 5 months. Finally I switched to a 24/7 gym where you dont have to wait for inconsiderate people who sit on a machine while not even using it.

The fact that when you try to ask her when she is going to be done and she gives you dirty looks makes me think she knows exactly what she is doing.

What does her weight and appearance have to do with it? Some of us take the gym as serious business, not that we look and judge others, but if someone is lifting 10 pound reps for 30 min thats pretty much a joke and makes me think they are wasting time at the gym. Like her husband payed for a gym membership and she texts the whole time while he thinks she is working out. If you see someone doing something wrong at the gym for MONTHS should you not correct them or at least mention it?
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yell, "Free pizza in the lobby!"
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Girl, take this as a blessing. You can do more sets of squats and lunges, so much better for you!!! :)
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So interesting that you include information about the size of her thighs and your thoughts that the machine must not be working for her. Has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the issue of her hogging the machine.

Yes, just find a polite way to ask if you can jump in...no need to try to "fat shame" her. That would be unnecessary and rude on your part.

"Fat shaming" would NOT have been my intent. Just simply if you are doing something for so long and it isn't helping, then it is pointless. Then having little regard for those around you is just thoughtless. My thighs need work, so I would not shame someone, but if I had a disregard for people and was wasting my time with a pointless activity, then personally I would want to be told. This is also coming from that "brutally honest friend" that all girls need that will tell them if those jeans don't work. Don't ask if you don't want to know. Plus just because I could handle it and not take it as an insult, I do understand others could view it differently, hence me not wanting to be "rude". The only reason I secretly want to be rude, is because I feel she is. Also for those that said she may not realize, if she doesn't then she is oblivious to what is around her and lacking common social skills. Plus she is not large, just a little over weight and you can see that her thighs are her problem area, she obviously wants to work on them. She just is going about wrongly and it interferes with others.

Like I posted earlier, unfortunately asking about her sets, does not register with her.

As for the texting that is a little irritating lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mvyo68tYgZ1sj3oxho1_250.gif
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am normally a polite but out spoken person, just a little confused on how to deal with a particular situation that I keep running into at my Gym.

When I am strength training, I use certain machines. I really like the thigh (the one you squeeze and hip-abductor machine, I understand sharing and am normally patient, BUT whenever I go lately there is this one woman who takes up the machine for at least 30 mins. She just sits there texting and moving 10lbs non-stop. She is probably a little overweight, with large (not toned) thighs. I work on the machine with 180lbs. and am over and done very quickly (high weight/low rep). How would you guys handle the situation? I do not want to be rude and say "obviously this is not helping try doing sets with a heavier weight", ok maybe part of me wants to be rude. She is aware people are waiting for the machine and just has no regard for them. I have thought about asking if I could jump on for a few minutes, but I do not think that would go over well. Any ideas? I have already had 3 times I had to skip the machine because she was on it my whole workout.
    Any ideas to get to use the machine with out being a total B****.

Especially for a selectorized weight-machine I would just ask if I could work in with the other person. It's easy enough to jump on, move the min, do your reps and get off for the next person and just rotate through. If they don't agree then they're a douche and you should stand in front of her and stare at her until she moves.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Find the creepiest guy in the gym pay him $5 to stand in front of the machine watching her
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

A sure way to get the weightlifters pissed off.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My opinion? If she's paying for her membership, she has a right to work out as she pleases -- as long as she's not breaking any gym rules.