Loving Low Carb diet! Anyone have questions?

Options
Hey, so I started the low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet, and the results are amazing so far! If anyone is starting off with it and has questions I can help (:

Replies

• grton
    grton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What have your results been so far??
  • Beautyne
    Options
    I have been doing it longer than I have been on MFP, but I lose 0.5-1 pound every day! I am eating low calories though. If it was done eating higher calories it would still work well! I have lost a total of 37 pounds in 3 months, I also took breaks in between.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What have your results been so far??

Most likely the same results as someone eating at a deficit, with or without carbs :wink:
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    I am eating low calories though.

Which is the reason why you are losing weight, it has nothing to do with carbs... :huh:
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Actually, I thought that at one point! but then I just hit a plateau eating whatever (healthy of course) and didn't lose for weeks! I then decided to try out low carb, high fat not thinking it was gonna work and it did!

I've read about people who do it eating 1500 calories, still works!
  • Beautyne
    Options

Which is the reason why you are losing weight, it has nothing to do with carbs... :huh:

Do your research, carbs seem to actually make a huge difference, If you eat too many carbs and a lot of protein, that protein gets turned into fat. (; science.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Do your research, carbs seem to actually make a huge difference, If you eat too many carbs and a lot of protein, that protein gets turned into fat. (; science.

Where is your research coming from? Anything you eat in excess is going to be stored in fat cells.
  • grton
    Options
    1,050 calories sounds crazy though..aren't you afraid you're going to gain it back when you increase cals?
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. If you burn more than you intake you will lose.
    Eating carbs has nothing do to with it.

When people hit a plateau, and a plateau is normally after 4-6 weeks at the same weight it's most likely because :
    1) they are overestimating exercise calories
    2) aren't logging everything
    3) aren't weighing everything properly
    4) aren't actually eating enough

Once we ask then to open their diaries next thing we'll see are empty days, days half logged , too little calories or they will admit not weighting everything and guesstimating.

Carbs have nothing to do with it.
    People restrict types of food while it is unnecessary and not sustainable in the long run. It leads to cravings which lead to binges.

Congratulation on your loss though :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would do some more research yourself. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein will not be turned into fat (and it is very very unlikely that protein itself will be turned into fat even at a surplus, if in fact it is possible at all).

Some reading for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Honestly, I don't feel hungry closer to the end of the day! I eat really healthy though, it's a lifestyle change and also I lift a lot of weights which increases your BMR. I don't recommend under 1200 calories to anyone, i just have problems with my appetite because of my meds ):

Of course everyone's different, I just found something that took me out of a plateau and I thought I would share it with other people doing low carb, and see if anyone else has had success with it (:
  • Escape_Artist
    Options

Please enlighten us and post your research. Mine were done and according to my sticker seem to work quite well :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Actually, I thought that at one point! but then I just hit a plateau eating whatever (healthy of course) and didn't lose for weeks! I then decided to try out low carb, high fat not thinking it was gonna work and it did!

I've read about people who do it eating 1500 calories, still works!

How long have you been on low carbs?
  • grton
    Options
    Right now, I'm desperate..the scale just seems to be going up and up, and I'm not changing that much with my diet, aside from eating less.
  • Beautyne
    Options

I would do some more research yourself. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein will not be turned into fat (and it is very very unlikely that protein itself will be turned into fat even at a surplus, if in fact it is possible at all).

Some reading for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely read it. Here's one for you that explains Low carb in more detail.

http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

"When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2)"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Some reading for you:

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely read it. Here's one for you that explains Low carb in more detail.

"When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2)"

Yes, but that is not fat. You need to look at the bigger picture of net fat oxidation.
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Don't eat less! Just change up your workouts, and if you do decide to go low carb check out that link I gave that other lovely lady in the thread (:

I learned a lot about low carb from it!

Also don't give up on your goals! It feels really good at the end, just keep working at it and stay positive.
  • Beautyne
    Options

Some reading for you:

Yes, but that is not fat. You need to look at the bigger picture of net fat oxidation.

Well, I'm just learning about all of this (: All I know is it's working for me.

Thanks though, if you have any articles describing it more in detail link me!
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Ok, I dont know if this article was peer reviewed but it does make good points!

"I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur."

So basically it's only gonna happen if you're eating excess amounts of protein, which makes sense. Guess it's all about trial.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I started the low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet, and the results are amazing so far! If anyone is starting off with it and has questions I can help (:

tumblr_inline_msnib1b1Fd1qz4rgp.gif

Mean_girls_eww_why.gif

c4965eed224956544c81923bc6dd527a-250x190.gif

Ok, ok, joking aside. I would like to know what are your actual macros vs what this calculator would recommend for you: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ ?