Loving Low Carb diet! Anyone have questions?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am eating low calories though.

Which is the reason why you are losing weight, it has nothing to do with carbs... :huh:

Do your research, carbs seem to actually make a huge difference, If you eat too many carbs and a lot of protein, that protein gets turned into fat. (; science.

I would do some more research yourself. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein will not be turned into fat (and it is very very unlikely that protein itself will be turned into fat even at a surplus, if in fact it is possible at all).

Some reading for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely read it. Here's one for you that explains Low carb in more detail.

http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

"When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2)"

Yes, but that is not fat. You need to look at the bigger picture of net fat oxidation.

Well, I'm just learning about all of this (: All I know is it's working for me.

Thanks though, if you have any articles describing it more in detail link me!

I would respectfully suggest that you do a bit more research before suggesting people PM you about it.

The whole site that the article was from is solid and science based. The main site is: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com.

I have no issue with low-carb, contrary to what it may look like, as I know it works for some people to keep their calories under control and can be a good choice for people who have metabolic issues. However, it is important to understand the basics to determine whether it is a good choice for you. Low carb is hard to do and can affect people's energy and therefore gym performance very negatively.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hun, what's working for you is that you are at a calorie deficit, not because you are eating low carbs :wink:

Calories vs calories out. Excess calories = gains

^^ science

Glad it's working for you but how long is that low calorie amount and restriction is gonna actually work? More importantly is it sustainable in the long run? Are you gonna spend your life not eating carbs after you have reached your goal?

Low carb is not for everybody and really unless it's for a medical condition it is not the best way to go to build a good relationship with food in the long run
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. If you burn more than you intake you will lose.
    Eating carbs has nothing do to with it.

When people hit a plateau, and a plateau is normally after 4-6 weeks at the same weight it's most likely because :
    1) they are overestimating exercise calories
    2) aren't logging everything
    3) aren't weighing everything properly
    4) aren't actually eating enough

Once we ask then to open their diaries next thing we'll see are empty days, days half logged , too little calories or they will admit not weighting everything and guesstimating.

Carbs have nothing to do with it.
    People restrict types of food while it is unnecessary and not sustainable in the long run. It leads to cravings which lead to binges.

Congratulation on your loss though :flowerforyou:

Thank you (: <3
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ok, I dont know if this article was peer reviewed but it does make good points!

"I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur."

So basically it's only gonna happen if you're eating excess amounts of protein, which makes sense. Guess it's all about trial.

Articles are not peer reviewed. However, his are based on solid scientific research.
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Hun, what's working for you is that you are at a calorie deficit, not because you are eating low carbs :wink:

^^ science

Glad it's working for you but how long is that low calorie amount and restriction is gonna actually work? More importantly is it sustainable in the long run? Are you gonna spend your life not eating carbs after you have reached your goal?

haha well I was eating exactly the same calories before, and as soon as I cut down on the carbs and increased the fat, BAM, the weight loss started again.

Thanks for the article though. x
  • Beautyne
    Options

"I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur."

So basically it's only gonna happen if you're eating excess amounts of protein, which makes sense. Guess it's all about trial.

Articles are not peer reviewed. However, his are based on solid scientific research.

http://libanswers.uvic.ca/a.php?qid=79020

Mannn I'm just being bombarded today haha, but yeah I'm not disagreeing with that article :p
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

^^ science

haha well I was eating exactly the same calories before, and as soon as I cut down on the carbs and increased the fat, BAM, the weight loss started again.

How long have you been doing low carb for. You have a start date of this month - where were you tracking your calories and macros before?
  • Beautyne
    Options
    I was tracking it on a piece of paper, I would look it up online. I just discovered MFP, it's genius! And I've been doing it for a few months now, before that I was just eating 1200 healthy calories, and it worked for a while and then I just stopped losing weight for weeks. I decided to look into low carb and tried it not expecting any results but it surprised me and actually worked (holy crap).

What are you doing?? Just curious, you look good!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

http://libanswers.uvic.ca/a.php?qid=79020

Mannn I'm just being bombarded today haha, but yeah I'm not disagreeing with that article :p

Different usage of the word article. I use it in the context of the link I gave you - someone's write-up/nlog/website etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I was tracking it on a piece of paper, I would look it up online. I just discovered MFP, it's genius!

How long ago did you change to low carb?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

^^ science

How we you logging your calories before you joined MFP?
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I think it that actually also means it's only going to happen if your calorie intake is above your TDEE, which would mean it's not relevant if you are in a deficit.
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Edited: (I have difficulties answering more than one question at a time, sorry lol)

I was tracking it on a piece of paper, I would look it up online. I just discovered MFP, it's genius! And I've been doing it for a few months now, before that I was just eating 1200 healthy calories, and it worked for a while and then I just stopped losing weight for weeks. I decided to look into low carb and tried it not expecting any results but it surprised me and actually worked (holy crap).

• Beautyne
    Options

I think that actually means it's only going to happen if your calorie intake is above your TDEE, which would mean it's not relevant if you are in a deficit.

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I think that actually means it's only going to happen if your calorie intake is above your TDEE, which would mean it's not relevant if you are in a deficit.

I actually believe that It is saying that, in theory, for protein to be converted to fat, you would have to have gluconeogenesis and then de novo lipogenesis happen. De novo lipogenesis is pretty extreme. Fat will convert to fat before this happens in a caloric surplus.
  • Beautyne
    Options
    I am eating low calories though.

Which is the reason why you are losing weight, it has nothing to do with carbs... :huh:

Do your research, carbs seem to actually make a huge difference, If you eat too many carbs and a lot of protein, that protein gets turned into fat. (; science.

I would do some more research yourself. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein will not be turned into fat (and it is very very unlikely that protein itself will be turned into fat even at a surplus, if in fact it is possible at all).

Some reading for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely read it. Here's one for you that explains Low carb in more detail.

http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

"When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2)"

Yes, but that is not fat. You need to look at the bigger picture of net fat oxidation.

Well, I'm just learning about all of this (: All I know is it's working for me.

Thanks though, if you have any articles describing it more in detail link me!

I would respectfully suggest that you do a bit more research before suggesting people PM you about it.

The whole site that the article was from is solid and science based. The main site is: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com.

I have no issue with low-carb, contrary to what it may look like, as I know it works for some people to keep their calories under control and can be a good choice for people who have metabolic issues. However, it is important to understand the basics to determine whether it is a good choice for you. Low carb is hard to do and can affect people's energy and therefore gym performance very negatively.

Hey.. .Was I suggesting it? NO.. I was saying that I LOVE it haha (which I do) and that I could work with anyone else who's doing it. Seriously I'm not going around telling everyone that they HAVE to go low carb. It works for me and I go to the gym everyday with lots of energy.

It works for me and from the discussions I've seen on the internet other people too, everyones different.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Edited: (I have difficulties answering more than one question at a time, sorry lol)

Sorry for hounding you. I was wondering, as when you switch to low carb, you lose a lot of water weight. Carbs make you retain water. If low carb makes you adhere better, and you find it easy with no energy issues, then there is nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you get a good amount of fats as low carb and low fats is not a good thing to do.

Not sure if the compliment was at me.
  • Beautyne
    Options

Sorry for hounding you. I was wondering, as when you switch to low carb, you lose a lot of water weight. Carbs make you retain water. If low carb makes you adhere better, and you find it easy with no energy issues, then there is nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you get a good amount of fats as low carb and low fats is not a good thing to do.

Thanks for the concern! Just so you know I'm not going around promoting un healthy lifestyles haha I'm just trying to start conversation on here.. friendly conversation ya know?

But yeah, the compliment was to you! :p
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey.. .Was I suggesting it? NO.. I was saying that I LOVE it haha (which I do) and that I could work with anyone else who's doing it. Seriously I'm not going around telling everyone that they HAVE to go low carb. It works for me and I go to the gym everyday with lots of energy.

It works for me and from the discussions I've seen on the internet other people too, everyones different.

Your OP mentioned it. I did not say (or I hope I did not) that you were telling everyone they have to do it, as you did not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks for the concern! Just so you know I'm not going around promoting un healthy lifestyles haha I'm just trying to start conversation on here.. friendly conversation ya know?

But yeah, the compliment was to you! :p

No worries - and thank you =).

I just stick to a reasonable caloric deficit, hit my macros (high'ish protein and moderate fats and carbs when cutting - higher carbs when bulking), try to get a broad variety of foods (micros and tastiness) and lift weights. No specific diet or restrictions (other than the fact that I am a vegetarian - but that is not for health or weight loss reasons).