MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would die without meat.

I highly doubt that. :laugh:

Heh. :flowerforyou:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    get organic, grass fed poultry. red meat is good, but i'd cut it to 1-2 times a week (that's what i do). same goes for the beef. throw some vegetarian meals in there every once in a while (or meatless meals, for things like broth). it helps cut costs or balance them because the organic meat is more expensive. i would also suggest range free eggs! :)

This
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Buy local or from a source that is willing to show you what THEIR source is. That is what I do. Is it more expensive (when it comes to meat at least)? Yep, but I budget for it. Just depends on what you find you are willing to do. I will never give up meat, eggs, or diary but I will change where I get these things from.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congratulations..you created a calorie deficit by eating less food...that is why you lost..

I regular eat chicken and meat and have zero issues with weight loss or body fat %....

Did you wear your tin foil hat while reading this book?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There's an MFP group of vegans, vegetarians, and other people interested in that lifestyle called Happy Herbivores. You can find it in the forum search feature. I agree with you about the cruelty and gross-out issues. I quit eating eggs this year even though I love omelets when I found out what the egg industry does with baby roosters, which they have no use for - they throw millions of them, alive, into a grinding machine every year (true - Google it). That was it for me and eggs. I refuse to support that with my money.

Weight loss is due to calories, though. You could eat donuts all day and as long as you stayed within your calories you would lose weight.

Wait till you discover what they do with male calves once they are born. Also the fact they keep females pregnant just to produce milk all the time, then if it's a male baby they kill it at 6 days old (no use for it) and keep the females in order to keep the cycle going......... all for dairy products.

Actually male calves tend to be kept for veal. So from 6 days to a year or so. It's not any better though.

veal is freaking delicious...

and cows are at the bottom of the food chain...just a fact of life...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    congratulations..you created a calorie deficit by eating less food...that is why you lost..

I regular eat chicken and meat and have zero issues with weight loss or body fat %....

Did you wear your tin foil hat while reading this book?

This! This whole thread makes me want a steak and a hamburger.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It's called "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins (the son of Robbins as in Baskin-Robbins ice cream). Thank you. I appreciate your post and the links :smile:

Great. Now I want ice cream. All 31 flavors.

As to the rest, eat what you want. Meat isn't gross, there are lots of exaggerations in here about dairy farms and farming in general, meat protein is good for the body. Lentils are delicious, but they're no substitute for a rare ribeye. And you're more likely to die from food borne illness eating raw veggies than from a burger.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    OP, I haven't read through all of the posts, so forgive me if you've answered this. But, were you eating the same calories before? Maybe you're just eating less calories/fat before your experiment. I'm not knocking your experiment, especially since I know virtually nothing about nutrition. Just make sure that you're getting the nutrients that you need. Good luck. And, I do try to get meats that say "natural/no hormones/no preservatives," but I have no idea what good it does bc as I said, I know nothing about nutrition.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    There's an MFP group of vegans, vegetarians, and other people interested in that lifestyle called Happy Herbivores. You can find it in the forum search feature. I agree with you about the cruelty and gross-out issues. I quit eating eggs this year even though I love omelets when I found out what the egg industry does with baby roosters, which they have no use for - they throw millions of them, alive, into a grinding machine every year (true - Google it). That was it for me and eggs. I refuse to support that with my money.

Major logic FAIL > What is the egg industry doing producing baby roosters??? The eggs are sold as eggs prior to the hatching to produce baby roosters. Duh!!!!!

And more Agriculture 101 - hen lay eggs regardless of the presence of a rooster to fertilize the eggs. Baby roosters (or baby hens for that matter) will not be produced by hens not exposed to a rooster, but eggs will.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are magic weight loss properties to being vegetarian, but if it makes you more aware of your food choices and gets you eating more veggies, whole grains, etc., it is one way to go about it.

It really is down to calories and the quality of nutrition you are getting. Replace the meat with cheese and cream sauces, you'll get fat. Replace it with high fiber legumes and vegetables and you'll lose.

I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons, so I applaud your choice. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you can ignore your calories and trust that you will continue to lose just because you don't eat meat.

Congrats on your loss so far, best of luck with it.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Major logic FAIL > What is the egg industry doing producing baby roosters??? The eggs are sold as eggs prior to the hatching to produce baby roosters. Duh!!!!!

Hey, sweetie.

Here's one item, below. There are many, many more sources of information about this. It was recently in the mainstream news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chick culling is the process of killing newly hatched poultry for which breeders have no use. In an industrial egg-producing facility, about half of the newly hatched chicks will be male and would grow up to be roosters, which do not lay eggs and therefore provide no incentive for the breeder to preserve. In the egg production industry most of the male chicks are usually killed shortly after hatching.

Prior to the development of modern meat breeds, most male chickens (cockerels) would usually be slaughtered for meat, while females (pullets) would be kept for egg production. However, once farmers bred separate meat and egg breeds, it became apparent that there was no reason to keep males of the egg breed alive. As a result the males of every 'batch' of egg-laying chickens would be killed as soon as possible to reduce losses incurred by the breeder through the feeding and sheltering of them. Special techniques were developed to accurately determine the sex of chicks at as young an age as possible.

The culling of unwanted chicks

In industrial factory farms, chicks that are not intended for rearing are culled shortly after their sex is determined, usually before they are 72 hours old. About 200 million male chicks are killed each year in the United States

The missing bit of info here is the hens that lay the eggs don't live very long. They have deformed bodies, bred to make as much meat as possible, often can't walk, etc. That's undoubtedly why the egg industry produces chicks every year as replacements -- the old chickens are killed. There is plenty of info online about this -- just Google it.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

And more Agriculture 101 - hen lay eggs regardless of the presence of a rooster to fertilize the eggs. Baby roosters (or baby hens for that matter) will not be produced by hens not exposed to a rooster.

They have to to produce hens to lay the eggs since a layer doesn't maintain production forever. The eggs they hatch for layers don't always hatch into females, so they have to cull the males. The females then lay the eggs.

FWIW, I still eat eggs, and I've been to production facilities (and slaughterhouses, and dairy farms and pig production facilities).
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    that's it. i quit food.
    Totoro6.gif
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Hey, sweetie.

Here's one item, below. There are many, many more sources of information about this. It was recently in the mainstream news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chick culling is the process of killing newly hatched poultry for which breeders have no use. In an industrial egg-producing facility, about half of the newly hatched chicks will be male and would grow up to be roosters, which do not lay eggs and therefore provide no incentive for the breeder to preserve. In the egg production industry most of the male chicks are usually killed shortly after hatching.

Prior to the development of modern meat breeds, most male chickens (cockerels) would usually be slaughtered for meat, while females (pullets) would be kept for egg production. However, once farmers bred separate meat and egg breeds, it became apparent that there was no reason to keep males of the egg breed alive. As a result the males of every 'batch' of egg-laying chickens would be killed as soon as possible to reduce losses incurred by the breeder through the feeding and sheltering of them. Special techniques were developed to accurately determine the sex of chicks at as young an age as possible.

The culling of unwanted chicks

In industrial factory farms, chicks that are not intended for rearing are culled shortly after their sex is determined, usually before they are 72 hours old. About 200 million male chicks are killed each year in the United States

The missing bit of info here is the hens that lay the eggs don't live very long. They have deformed bodies, bred to make as much meat as possible, often can't walk, etc. That's undoubtedly why the egg industry produces chicks every year as replacements -- the old chickens are killed. There is plenty of info online about this -- just Google it.

Sweetie, thanks for the info. That new knowledge made me swear off eggs forever. NOT.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options

Weight loss is due to calories, though. You could eat donuts all day and as long as you stayed within your calories you would lose weight.

Wait till you discover what they do with male calves once they are born. Also the fact they keep females pregnant just to produce milk all the time, then if it's a male baby they kill it at 6 days old (no use for it) and keep the females in order to keep the cycle going......... all for dairy products.

Actually male calves tend to be kept for veal. So from 6 days to a year or so. It's not any better though.

I can't argue... it is absolutely horrible... however I still want a cheeseburger.

Is this where I confess that I worked at farm for a summer bottle feeding and hugging lambs (no really I spent a summer hugging lambs) that were all slaughtered in the fall?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

tumblr_m4vl3voKcR1qj3ir1.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Whatever

If you're all broken up about it, then don't eat it.

I'll keep eating beef and chicken, drinking beer, and enjoying my ice cream.

I live dangerously.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: