Drunken eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often, but when i do, it's usually around 3 or 4 in the morning so i just log them on the next days calories. In doing this, i try to make sure that the food i'm eating, hit at least some of my macros. I usually try for protein.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What are Macros?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What are Macros?

Macro-nutrients: Protein, Carbohydrates, and fat. This are usually sub-divided into types of fats (typically saturated and non-saturated) and carbs, fiber not being counted for calories as they're not absorbed for nutrition.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You could anticipate those extra calories by working out more before going out so you won't feel as guilty. It'd be easy to say just don't do it but stuff happens..

This! And don't let it continue into the next day. I also agree with planning a late night snack... Perhaps switch your afternoon snack with a midnight snack? Then eat lots of protein with dinner to fill you up at dinner, a lighter lunch and breakfast and you should be good to go! Plan for an extra "meal" with your calories and pre-plan your calories as best as you can. Since you know you'll want fast food after drinking, plan for fast food. Stick to wine or vodka with soda and lime. Both will help to keep you under calories.

My biggest issue is hangover food the next day. Have something in mind for that as well! My go-to is fruit or fruit juice, LOTS of water and then 3 ounces 96/4 ground beef sauteed with half a bell pepper and garlic. Add in 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup canned no salt added tomato sauce and 1/2 cup beans of choice (no salt added again) Under 300 calories for the meal plus about 100-150 for the fruit. It cures the hangover blues... Hot sauce optional. This is also a good late night meal that can be pre-prepared. And make sure to at least get a good walk in. It'll make you feel better.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess if you're determined to drink (I still advise that it's a diet killer) to the point that you're willing to pre-plan a drunken snack....then why not just plan for the calories by banking calories all week? If you bank 100 cals per day, that's 600 in a week and you can drunken eat plenty on that.
  • nm212
    Options
    Can someone explain "banking calories" for the weekend? Does that mean if you don't use up your exercise calories, for example, the day you exercise and save them for the weekend, that you can still lose weight? I thought if you don't use it , you lose it. I mean, for weight watchers I know that works with points, but didn't realize same thing works when counting calories.

Thanks
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my own experience, I just try to plan ahead - I squeeze in an extra workout during the day and then try to have food at home waiting for me that I like. That way, even if I go for the bad stuff, I've got a few more exercise calories in the bank. One meal can not derail all your hard work, just don't don't go off the deep end the day after when you're hung over! :)
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I'm around food when I'm drinking, I'll graze for no reason, and when I'm buzzed, I crave fatty foods. Instead of planning to fight the urges, I aim for damage control.

*I keep a Nalgene bottle of water with me. It's not elegant, but it helps if I can say I'll have the next drink or order something after I've had xx ounces of water. It keeps me drinking water, slows my overall food and booze consumption, and keeps my stomach a little fuller.

*At parties, pile a plate full of all the delicious things you want to eat then get as far away from the food table as possible. Enjoy the plate without grazing afterwards.

*Have something satisfying waiting for you at home. Something in the crock pot, some leftovers, sandwich ingredients (avocado!), pre-portioned chips and salsa or nuts, even a frozen pizza or fries if it's healthier than what you'd get at the drive-thru. Make it easy to fix, healthier than whatever else you'd be eating, and irresistibly delicious.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ME! Some people crave smokes when they drink. I crave anything deep fried. I think I would each deep fried shoe laces after a couple of drinks. This is not a new thing for me. I just prelog and do my best not to get too far out of control. The best thing for me is to go out with people who dance and work off the calories so there is no guilt in the morning. A rum diet and deep fried green beans can be countered on the dancefloor pretty easily over an evening.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain "banking calories" for the weekend? Does that mean if you don't use up your exercise calories, for example, the day you exercise and save them for the weekend, that you can still lose weight? I thought if you don't use it , you lose it. I mean, for weight watchers I know that works with points, but didn't realize same thing works when counting calories.

Thanks

For weight loss, the most basic premise is that you must burn more than you consume. Some people average over a week. So, assuming that you are already eating sensibly (not trying to lose too much too fast by undereating), you could just NOT eat back your exercise calories for one or two days (depending the amount) during the week and then you could have a bigger meal on the weekend. Obviously you can't take this to an extreme, but say you're netting around 1600 daily, plus 5x/wk exercise calories and you earn 200 exercise calories per weekday (so eating 1800/day). Two days per week, you could just eat 1600 and one day per weekend in which you drink and don't workout, eat 2000 (1600+200+200)--as a simple example. Considering that your deficit is already built into the 1600, you could also choose to eat at maintenance+banked calories for that one day, which might mean eatting alll the way up to 2200-2400, depending on how much deficit you are building into your daily calories. In fact, some think it's good to eat at maintenance occassionally, to keep up the metabolism over the course of a long diet.
  • gfbike
    gfbike Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I drink, I eat. I have to eat a meal before I have a glass of wine.
  • nm212
    Options
    Okay. thanks for the info! That's good to know and I think I will try it some time . :) I'd much rather use my calories on the weekend so that might be better for me.
  • justified111
    justified111 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here are my tricks:

#1. If I know I'm going to have a long heavy drinking night I make sure to hit the gym extra hard that morning. That way I start off with a negative balance.

#2. I try to drink the least caloric drinks (no sweet mixers, Guinness over IPA's, etc.)

#3. I make sure I have healthy choices to pig out on at home. A couple Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches or a pre-made healthy sandwich in my fridge waiting for me helps me skip out on late night pizza.

I've lost almost 40lbs in the last 6 months and I've had many heavy drinking nights out with my friends. A cheat night every other weekend is not going to hurt you in the long run.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is really bad if you're trying to become/stay fit. Alcohol impairs protein synthesis.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Just plan ahead. If you know you are going to want fast food later, save some calories, carbs, and fats for that. Eating unhealthy food doesn't have to kill your diet, just make sure it fits your macros. IIFYM for the win!

this kinda means that she'll end up going out drinking on an empty stomach.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    One night of drunken fun and then probably eating will not derail everything. Now, if it is every night or several nights a week, then maybe.

I had half a pizza last weekend after consuming several beers. This is not a setback. I consider this to be a fun night full of memories.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that when I drink I just want to go to sleep but have friends who always want fast food. Hasn't derailed any of their weight loss.
  • nklp
    nklp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just only take enough money out with you for drinks so you can't get anything on the way home, and then when you are home eat something awesome you made beforehand :) and then you can use the money you've saved to put towards a gorgeous new dress for when you've reached your goals!! But it's not the end of the world if you give in; just eat under your calorie goal for the rest of the week to make sure you don't go over your weekly allowance of calories :) good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!