Article: What no one tells you about losing lots weight

Options

Replies

• FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    IMHO... There are many people who are confident in whatever "skin" they are in. I guess I'm more of a glass half full type because I'm more impressed by her 160 lb. weight loss than I am pitiful about her excess skin. "Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all!"
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Top things I've learned after losing 150 pounds:

1. You still feel like you are obese. Often when you look in the mirror, you don't see any difference.

2. You're more susceptible to eating disorders, which I learned at the Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders when I went there for treatment myself. In fact, the main doctor there told me that it's extremely rare for anyone to lose a considerable amount of weight without coming away with some sort of disordered eating.

3. You might have loose skin no matter how much you exercise. Hopefully, it'll get better, but in the meantime, it's probably going to make you feel like *kitten* about yourself.

4. People treat you different. In my experience at high school, as soon as my weight loss became apparent, bullying stopped completely. I guess they won?

5. People will not be afraid to talk about how fat you were before. It makes you wonder if you were ever really person in the first place... and not just some fat sack of goo.

This is a good list. I totally agree with #1. I still see myself in the mirror as the girl in the left side of my before/during picture. How weird is that? I have experienced a lot of hurt because of my weight. Only in my case, it is all self inflicted. I have a wonderful family and husband. No one has ever made me feel "less". I also was only overweight as an adult. I can not imagine going through the feelings I have had about myself as a young teenager or young adult. I'm sure you dealt with a lot more pain from the outside and for that I would like to just hug you.

Congrats on your impressive loss. I hope you can fully enjoy your success. I don't think anyone comes away from significant weight loss without some baggage. I know I have mine. :flowerforyou:
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options

1. You still feel like you are obese. Often when you look in the mirror, you don't see any difference.

2. You're more susceptible to eating disorders, which I learned at the Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders when I went there for treatment myself. In fact, the main doctor there told me that it's extremely rare for anyone to lose a considerable amount of weight without coming away with some sort of disordered eating.

3. You might have loose skin no matter how much you exercise. Hopefully, it'll get better, but in the meantime, it's probably going to make you feel like *kitten* about yourself.

4. People treat you different. In my experience at high school, as soon as my weight loss became apparent, bullying stopped completely. I guess they won?

5. People will not be afraid to talk about how fat you were before. It makes you wonder if you were ever really person in the first place... and not just some fat sack of goo.

This may be *your* experience, but it's not the same for everyone who loses a significant amount of weight.
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    Great Article thanks for posting.

At 23, even though my skin should theoretically "bounce back" it hasn't. It's beyond stretched. I also had a baby in 2009 which didn't help matters.

This article really struck me because It's something i'm starting to worry about as I get closer to my goal weight. My stomach will never look flat, I will never be able to have that "washboard abs" image I see everywhere on fitness blogs etc, no matter how much exercise I do I am stuck with this belly !

Another problem I have is I guess with distorted body Image. I still feel like I am 266lb. I still feel huge standing next to my healthy weight friends and I wonder will this feeling ever go away...? Even when I reach my goal !

I'm trying to make peace with it.

It's definitely something that needs to be talked about more.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I was not happy with my body prior to starting my weight loss journey this time and I am not happy with my body now. I did however become determined to start a journey to the best health I could obtain. I have many health problems. I still have many health problems, however they are improving. My health is improving overall.

I recently had surgery, so am 'starting over', but prior to my surgery, I was able to walk for 2 hours in our small hilly area. I was able to work my 13 hour shift and still walk afterward! This was improvement, due to my knees, ankle bone spurs etc. I had less pain and was generally able to move better! These things are what are important to me!!

Esthetically, I think I look much better in clothing! People have noticed and tell me I look so much healthier!! Would I ever want to take my clothing off and show these people my naked body? Ummmm, no thanks!!! But that is because I am 56 and abused my body, gaining and losing weight, so many times, all throughout my life. It isn't a pretty body, but it's mine and it gets me where I want to go and gives me time with my grandmunchkins!!! To me, that is what is important!! Not how I look without clothes on!!

Being in the medical field, I have worked with many people and patients who have had weight loss surgery, or lost a large amount of weight on their own. All of them have areas on their bodies that they are not happy with!! They also have areas that they are VERY unhappy with. Overall they focus on their health though and that part DOES make them happy!!

For those that choose to have surgery to correct the sagging skin issues, I say more power to you!! That's awesome!! At this point, after just undergoing major surgery and having complications I am still dealing with, I wouldn't have a cosmetic surgery, but that is me and not right for everyone.

I knew a lady that wore sleeveless dresses, short skirts and tight clothing. She was 'heavy' and I thought, "oh my, doesn't she know how that outfit makes her look"? I found out one day that she was going to have surgery. When I asked her what kind of surgery she was having, she told me she had lost 180 pounds and she was having her extra skin removed! She then proceeded to show us her skin, which was interesting, but not something I really wanted to see at the time. ;-) I learned in her pride with her body, that no matter how you look, or even in despite of how you look, you can be happy, healthy and self confident!! It taught me not to judge people on what they wear, or why they wear it, but embrace our differences!!

The article on genetics, nature vs nurture was quite interesting!! I would like to see more in depth research on the subject!! Thank you to the OP of the article!!
  • beachlover317
    Options

This may be *your* experience, but it's not the same for everyone who loses a significant amount of weight.

I believe she meant that to represent her experience. She is also 35 years younger than you and I are. That definitely puts a different light on her situation. I have felt very "glass half full" for most of my life, too. But deep down there are things I have said to myself about my weight. I can't imagine the pain of hearing those things from people on the outside.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    She may have lost the weight too quickly or not exercised enough?

This is what I am thinking happened.

Exercise doesn't do anything for your skin. It only affects your muscles, cardiovascular health, etc. It doesn't really impact on the elasticity of your skin. And I don't know if losing weight too quickly is as much a factor as genetics.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Agreed. For myself, (I have lost 123lbs in about 15 months) I only agree with some of the items on the list, #1 for sure. As for an eating disorder, my eating was far more disordered before when I was either dieting and acting orthorexic or overeating. Now I have a healthier outlook about all foods and my overall approach to eating. No one really treats me differently or talks about my former weight either. As for the loose skin... I guess we'll see.:ohwell:
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options

GREAT article, and I love this list as well. #1 and #4 are true for me.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Thus why I labeled it the 'top things I've learned after losing 150 pounds'.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    As for The Biggest Loser, executive producer Dave Broome, reached by e-mail, argues the show's primary emphasis is on health, not aesthetics

Yes, that's why they assess success by % of weight loss rather than fat loss or other fitness markers, badger contestants to work out even when injured, ritually humiliate them and ensure that they have to weigh in with their tops off even if they don't want to. I would happily drop kick this dude...

I thought the article was fabulous however.

I also like this:

http://thebellyproject.wordpress.com/

Representations of what stomachs look like from a wide range of people not the filter of the diet or "fitness" industry (which has really become "the look this way" industry")
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because this is a fascinating and valuable discussion.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    She may have lost the weight too quickly or not exercised enough?

This is what I am thinking happened.

Exercise doesn't do anything for your skin. It only affects your muscles, cardiovascular health, etc. It doesn't really impact on the elasticity of your skin. And I don't know if losing weight too quickly is as much a factor as genetics.

This.

You can't really know unfortunately until you get there.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I'm going to take this a step further. I think people don't really know what a naked human body REALLY looks like, regardless of if there was major weight loss or if they were always thin. We're bombarded with images of physical perfection and many times physical fantasy.

for the quote

And the article was f_cking dead on!

And her pictures I thought were absolutely f_cking beautiful!
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's depressing at all. Some of us will never be completely happy with our bodies, and most people who have a large amount of weight to lose already have body issues going in that cannot simply be treated by changing their appearance on the outside. Yes, there is a likelihood that your body will not completely "bounce back" after you've lost a lot of weight, particularly given certain factors like age and skin elasticity, but as many have said, if you truly look at it, if you truly consider why you are doing this, the aesthetics are not nearly as important as the effect for your health.

One of the best things I ever heard someone say upon losing a great deal of weight was that they considered all of the lasting evidence, the loose skin, the stretch marks, the scars, to be something of a badge of honor. Not a detriment. Not something to be ashamed of. But something to be PROUD of. An accomplishment. Celebrating the indomitable will, the courage, that it took to overcome the stress and the pressure and the ridicule and the insecurity of a lifetime (or even a few short months or years). Surmounting a struggle they had faced their entire life. To look in the mirror and say, "I lost over a hundred pounds. I did that. I worked hard. I refused to feel sorry for myself any longer. I am healthier. I am stronger. I am more confident. I refused to take this sitting/laying down." You can lose the weight, but you will never forget how hard you worked to accomplish it. You can't just put it behind you and forget that you were ever a fat kid, that people ever treated you differently, that you didn't have more difficulty just living your life.

Look around at all of the success stories. People who've lost hundreds of pounds and have never been happier with their bodies. People who overcame disabilities, conquered paralysis or diabetes. People who couldn't walk two feet before they began to change their lives. People who were in wheelchairs that now run marathons.

Just look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/15-success-stories

Personally, I think she still looks beautiful, even with the loose skin and stretch marks. But it's all about self love and that's something that's just as important as becoming healthier. The psychological impacts are something that often falls by the wayside, to treat the underlying issues that often contributed to the weight gain in the first place. Some need counseling during the process or after they've achieved success to get where they need to be as far as acceptance.

Everyone's different in this aspect, and some will have more trouble coping than others.

Those that I've seen had the greatest success in avoiding these "difficulties" focused on losing weight slowly (the "It's a marathon, not a race" mentality), didn't try to rush their progress, incorporated as much exercise, and especially weight training, as possible, and took care of their bodies.

Will you probably ever have your dream body? No. You have no control over the hand dealt you by genetics. Will you probably come out with some type of body dysmorphia or continued unhappiness with your appearance? Possibly. But will you be healthier, stronger, live longer, avert dangerous, painful, and costly medical conditions? Absolutely. You have to love yourself, love your body, not just in appearance, but in the way you treat it, and learn to focus on the real success of weight gain: your health, not that size 2.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588404-intrinsic-or-extrinsic-which-are-you?hl=intrinsic
    http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/related-illnesses/other-related-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder-bdd
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/685-100lbs-to-lose
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4749--teamgetoutofthe200s
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103771-mfp-fitspiration?page=14

Find your support. Really think about why you're doing this. Research how to go about your weight loss in the right way, not for drastic results but for overall health, fitness, and wellness. and remember to love yourself. You are worth the change. Your family, your kids, your significant other, or the future you have yet to see.

Real people with real success:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103164-3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991583-pics-100lbs-gone-and-i-will-wear-this-bikini-in-public
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/968182-i-lost-a-person-but-i-found-myself-leaky-s-story
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658252-victory
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1133100-half-the-woman-i-used-to-be-300-to-140-s-with-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132740-from-330lbs-to-195lbs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132481-i-finally-get-it-picture-heavy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541622-100-pounds-lost-15-pounds-gained
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1130402-updated-338-lost-in-15-months-with-new-picture
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1117440-500-days-167-pounds-thanks-mfp
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1109863-my-1-year-fit-versary-too-many-pics-lol-217-8-to-125-9
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122340-92lbs-lost-with-diet-and-exercise-alone-d
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128856-from-420-2-pounds-to-243-4-pounds-in-ten-months-pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1125388-new-progress-picture-from-252-to-178lbs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1086785-goal-11-months-91-pounds-lost-before-after-pictures

There are tons more out there. These are the ones I could scrounge up in just a few minutes.

Point, it's reasonable and realistic to worry about the future, about what could happen if you go through all of this and still aren't happy, but think about tomorrow, think about what you can do right now, and don't allow yourself to become discouraged before you see the kind of potential you have.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i found this mildly depressing. No, everything about one's life doesn't magically change for the better after losing weight, just as moving to a new city, getting a new significant other, or landing a new job doesn't cure all of life's ills. But I'll take sagging skin over Type 2 diabetes any day of the week.

I am adamantly against what the Biggest Loser television show does to people's expectations for weight loss, but I completely agree with what the producer has to say here.
    As for The Biggest Loser, executive producer Dave Broome, reached by e-mail, argues the show's primary emphasis is on health, not aesthetics: "When you have one foot in the grave (as many of our contestants do when coming on to the show), being concerned about what your skin might look like after you lose weight becomes a minor issue compared to dying or having a significantly shorter life span because of obesity-related issues," he writes.

I agree with all this. But at the same time, I would really like to present an alternative experience to the one depicted in this heart rending series. I'm half way through a similar weightloss. I'm 43. My body certainly isn't 'bouncing back' to pre-obesity weightloss. But it also doesn't look like the photos in this series either. There's a middle way between devastation and perfection that most of us manage to tread. I have saggy bits. But I've lost weight gradually, I work out a lot, I look after my skin, I drink plenty of water... and I'm broadly ok with what's happening to my body as the weight comes off.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Also, to the people saying it's just because she didn't exercise enough, lift enough weights or lost weight too fast. You need to back off with the judgmental statements.

Fact is this is the reality with large amount of weight to lose. I know some of it is your own fear, but it can be cathartic to have a realistic expectation of weight loss and the psychological implications.

It's not all pretty pictures and looking hot naked. It's hard, it's every single day until your last breath, it's every single thing that goes into your mouth, it's sweat, it's dirt, it's loss of your best friend for some of us, it's expectations that will never be met, it's looking in the mirror and seeing the old battle scars (loose skin) everyday, it's living in a stranger's body, it's self acceptance, and hopefully one day learning to love you body not for how it looks but for what it does.

I encourage people who do have a large amount of weight to lose to google images of people who have been there, and start to accept what may be a possible outcome and learn to accept that the only purpose to losing weight is to be healthier.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great discussion
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Also, to the people saying it's just because she didn't exercise enough, lift enough weights or lost weight too fast. You need to back off with the judgmental statements.

Fact is this is the reality with large amount of weight to lose. I know some of it is your own fear, but it can be cathartic to have a realistic expectation of weight loss and the psychological implications.

It's not all pretty pictures and looking hot naked. It's hard, it's every single day until your last breath, it's every single thing that goes into your mouth, it's sweat, it's dirt, it's loss of your best friend for some of us, it's expectations that will never be met, it's looking in the mirror and seeing the old battle scars (loose skin) everyday, it's living in a stranger's body, it's self acceptance, and hopefully one day learning to love you body not for how it looks but for what it does.

I encourage people who do have a large amount of weight to lose to google images of people who have been there, and start to accept what may be a possible outcome and learn to accept that the only purpose to losing weight is to be healthier.

Well said. That was the turning point in my weight loss. For so many times of trying to lose weight, it was about getting to a "certain size" by a certain date. When I failed on one or the other - I quit. This time, I have been focusing on my health. Will this food make me healthy? Will this weight training make me stronger and make my bones stronger as I age? Will the running help me with endurance and being able to move into my 60s with some amount of grace? Because there is no end zone dance to be done, I live each day with my health in mind. That has also helped me have a realistic vision of the future me. Believe it or not, it's not about wearing some specific kind of clothes or looking good naked (my husband has loved me through it all). I want to run a 5k or maybe even a 10K. I want to be healthy until I kick. That is all I want.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you Google image search Biggest Loser before and afters, a lot of the befores have women in cropped tops and men with their shirts off. No "after" shows any midriff flesh. Not a single one.