That's right, I binged, and I'm not sorry.

Options

Replies

• idajo2
    idajo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As I see it, there are a number of positives here! First of all, you arrived at the gathering *PLANNING* TO TRACK YOUR FOOD - the plan was sidetracked by the environment and the sheer number of choices. Secondly, YOU 'FESSED UP, TOOK RESPONSIBLITY FOR YOUR CHOICES/DECISIONS and JUMPED RIGHT BACK INTO YOUR ROUTINE! How terrific is that!! I don't have the "luxury" of a binge . . but, if happens (and it will for most folks) - beating yourself up over it doesn't accomplish a thing. Negativity and guilt are self-defeating behaviors; if you can approach a rare binge with the understanding that you're NOT establishing a pattern, I think you're going to do just fine! Special occasions and holidays aren't easy to navigate when we're trying to walk the "straight and narrow" . . nevertheless, I see your approach as a stepping stone to your goal!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Now, here is a person who clearly understands how priorities work! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm back on track. I didn't fall off the wagon, I just leaned out of it for a while. :bigsmile:
    I love that about MFP... we celebrate falling off the wagon. They don't do that at AA meetings.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    you had me at D&D :D

nerding out now.....
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    And it was the most wonderful binge. Delicious foods prepared by my good friend who is a wonderful cook. My friends hosted two days of tabletop gaming, and prepared lots of wonderful food for us. Brie! Homemade lasagna with garlic bread! Cookies! And I tried to log the calories, but at some point I knew it was a lost cause. So I'm not sure exactly how many calories I consumed, but it was a lot. But they were yummy calories! :bigsmile:

So yeah, not really feeling the least bit guilty about it. I figure that even if I ate well past my TDEE both days, I certainly didn't eat THAT many more calories than I "should" have, and even if I did, well, it'll slow the weight loss down a little bit. It was so worth it. Sometimes the priority is the calorie deficit, sometimes the priority is good food and good fun with friends. As long as the calorie deficit wins out more often than not, I figure it's all good. :drinker:

Sounds like you overate a bit... that is not at all the same thing as a binge....
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Studies show you are more likely to succeed in the long term because of your willingness and ability to let your hair down once in awhile! Yay you!

+1
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    That's not a binge.

I call that Saturday.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

One-shots, with pregenerated characters. One was an epic-level D&D 3.5, one was a 7th level D&D 3.5, one was Star Wars Saga Edition, and the last was a Star Trek scenario using Savage Worlds rules. Good times. :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

D&D 3.5 and Star Wars Saga edition are my JAMS! lol.

I see nothing wrong with this perfect sounding weekend.

It is true, it may slow down weight loss, but in the long run you'll be able to stick to it.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    My friends hosted two days of tabletop gaming...

That sounds even better than the food...

It was. :bigsmile:
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Which games?

Pen and paper RPGs, natchrully. :bigsmile:

Which ones? I used to love Rifts. And Necromunda. And Shadowrun.

One-shots, with pregenerated characters. One was an epic-level D&D 3.5, one was a 7th level D&D 3.5, one was Star Wars Saga Edition, and the last was a Star Trek scenario using Savage Worlds rules. Good times. :bigsmile:

It sounds awesome. The last time I managed to get some game time in was this past Christmas. Enough people came back to town for the holidays to get in two nights of D&D dungeon crawling goodness. I'm hoping that they can make it back this year as well. It's one or two nights, but it makes the long dry 'looking for game' times easier to stand. I'm glad you had so much fun.

You gotta find people in your area to game with (who are compatible personality wise, etc.). I game almost every Friday night with my local peeps, and it's the best. Of course, I'm the stereotypical female gamer "it's what my character would do" type. I am up on the rules, but it's less about rules and more about the character for me. :wink:
  • Siansonea
    Options

nerding out now.....

So glad there are so many nerds here! My people! :flowerforyou:
  • clambert1273
    Options

nerding out now.....

don't get me going on my video games.... it will be neverending LOL my husband calls me the nerdy gamer girl lol
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I started this I decided for me it was a lifestyle change. In a lifestyle change you stick to your goals most of the time. But on that Birthday or Holiday you eat whatever within reason but enjoy family friends and fun. There are many more regular days than there are holidays. I don't have cheat days and I don't allow myself cheat days. I allow myself family fun days and holidays. The rest of the time I follow a healthy flavorful menu within my calorie goals. This is a lifestyle change and you just can't cheat on that.
  • Siansonea
    Options

nerding out now.....

don't get me going on my video games.... it will be neverending LOL my husband calls me the nerdy gamer girl lol

I could talk your ear off about Mass Effect. :drinker:
  • Siansonea
    Options
    When I started this I decided for me it was a lifestyle change. In a lifestyle change you stick to your goals most of the time. But on that Birthday or Holiday you eat whatever within reason but enjoy family friends and fun. There are many more regular days than there are holidays. I don't have cheat days and I don't allow myself cheat days. I allow myself family fun days and holidays. The rest of the time I follow a healthy flavorful menu within my calorie goals. This is a lifestyle change and you just can't cheat on that.

That's pretty much what I do too. I don't do regularly scheduled cheat days, I kinda see this as something I'll do on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but other than that, I'll be good during the "holiday season", more or less. But those two meals, I'm not going to worry about it. :drinker:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

nerding out now.....

I liked how you didn't get to choose between Good, Neutral, or Evil in Mass Effect-- you got to choose between Good, Neutral, or Jerk. It can be the story of one really unlikeable *kitten* as he accidentally saves the universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-eRfupYbA
  • clambert1273
    Options

nerding out now.....

gurl..... Skyrim, Diablo III, Final Fantasy (ALL of them - love my JRPG's), Eternal Sonata..etc.. ;)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OK to have the occasional indulgence. All about not doing it all the time and most days getting up and eating as healthy as possible.

In a few weeks we're having Thanksgiving with family at my brother-in-law's residence and his wife is truly an amazing cook. I'll certainly try to enjoy some of her dishes and will try to not overdo it and then be right back to eating clean the next day.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    lol I love this post. You've gotta live a little sometimes! I think that is actually the biggest test, if you can over-indulge and still hop back on the horse the next day or week to start eating healthy again. You're doing great! That means you will stick with it for the long haul! Those that deprive themselves never end up well in the end, in my opinion. Kudos to you! Now get your *kitten* back into gear ! haha