Deadlifts :(

Options
So I recently started lifting heavy & I really love it. I love being able to up my weights & seeing that itty bitty me is moving x amount of pounds.
But as of lately, even though I'm able to lift the weight on deadlifts, it's hard for me to hold my grip. I end up trying to finish my set faster &I lose good form because of this. It sucks not being able to finish a set bc your grip is weak. What to do?

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Either wait until your grip gets stronger, do grip strengthening exercises, or use straps.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No shame in that at all! Once my weight started creeping up on DLs I went and got lifting straps. (about $9 at ****'s Sporting Goods) Deadlifts aren't about grip strength. If you want to train grip do a farmer's carry, or build yourself one of these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6XlAJv-rXw

Edit: Stupid profanity filter (D i c k' s)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, what works for me as I go heavier is a mixed grip (hands facing opposite directions), gloves, and not having the bar up high in your hand. Like, having it lower towards your fingers.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Alternate grip, Straps,Chalk etc

Good luck.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, what works for me as I go heavier is a mixed grip (hands facing opposite directions), gloves, and not having the bar up high in your hand. Like, having it lower towards your fingers.

This. Gloves especially help with avoiding sore hands and make you look like a serious badass lifter :tongue:
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Straps will help a lot, and they're super cheap. I got mine on ebay for just a few ££s. There's plenty of stuff on youtube showing you how to use them.

Some people say straps are "cheating", and that overall there's no substitute for strengthening your grip, which you will need to do anyway if you're serious about freeweights.

There is some truth in there, for sure, but the way I see it is that deadlifts are designed to work your back/legs/glutes, not your grip. If you let your grip slow you down then you're not giving the best workout possible to all those muscle groups, which would be wasting your time.
  • david_swinstead
    Options

This. Gloves especially help with avoiding sore hands and make you look like a serious badass lifter :tongue:

If you insist on wearing gloves in the gym, make sure they match your purse. - Mark Rippetoe
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options

If you insist on wearing gloves in the gym, make sure they match your purse. - Mark Rippetoe

I am sure that VB is mortified that you are insinuating that lifting wearing gloves is girly, considering she is female.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with a mixed grip, makes it much easier.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

I am sure that VB is mortified that you are insinuating that lifting wearing gloves is girly, considering she is female.

LOL! Of course my gloves match my purse, you've gotta have style. Plus my husband doesn't want me to develop callouses on my palms - not sure why
  • crb0077
    Options
    I have grip issues and it is really frustrating when it hinders your lifting! I use straps for deadlifting and it has meant I've been able to pile the weight on and not suffer too much...gloves helped for a bit but it's not my hands getting sore that's the problem my forearm hurts from actually gripping (I get a serious pump going on). Call it cheating if you want but I'm a girl, with little hands, and I'm lifting what some men can't actually lift!
  • david_swinstead
    Options

I just like the quote. Rippetoe is a funny guy :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Start with checking your grip technique. Are you really squeezing the bar on every rep, including warm-ups and accessory work on every lift? Trying to crush the bar with your grip every time you take hold will increase your grip strength dramatically.

Next step: chalk. It seems like a small detail, but can make an amazing difference. I use a liquid chalk hand drying solution I got on amazon for <$10. Use it from the beginning of your workout. It will help you fatigue less quickly. Train with a regular pronated (overhand) grip for as long as you can with just chalk, and when that grip starts to fail, switch to...

Mixed grip: one hand pronated and the other supinated. You'll need to fiddle with your grip position on the supinated hand a little bit; the bone insertion into the wrist is a little different from one side to the other, which means that to stay balanced you'll probably need to take that hand just a bit wider. This will give you a dramatic increase.

I advise avoiding gloves and straps if what you're after is actual powerlifting type strength, in which case you need to be able to lift the weight without the accessories. If you don't have any plans on competing and don't actually care about your grip strength, feel free to strap up, but I'd still say gloves are more of a detriment than a benefit. They put another layer of something that can twist and bunch in between your hands and the bar, which wastes energy as you attempt to perform the lift, and in some cases makes callus form improperly (no, it will not always prevent calluses).
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'd still say gloves are more of a detriment than a benefit. They put another layer of something that can twist and bunch in between your hands and the bar, which wastes energy as you attempt to perform the lift, and in some cases makes callus form improperly (no, it will not always prevent calluses).
    This exactly. I have tiny baby hands and I've never been able to find weight lifting gloves small enough for my hands. They bunch up and cause more harm than good.

A reverse grip is what I use.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

LOL! Of course my gloves match my purse, you've gotta have style. Plus my husband doesn't want me to develop callouses on my palms - not sure why

LOL at this!! My gloves match my purse AND shoes :smile:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I reset between reps. I have issues with my grip too; I don't use any gloves or straps, but a mixed grip definitely helps. I just take the time to reset - sometimes I can get 3 reps in before my grip slips, but when I am close to my 1RM, I have to reset for each one.
  • synnglemommm
    synnglemommm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you have lifting straps? I just started while doing boot camp and they have helped me this weekend be able to hold onto my grip and give my wrists some strength
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Use a mixed grip, use chalk, if you want to use gloves.

Also, don't be afraid to re-set your grip after a rep or a few reps.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Used a mixed grip (meaning one hand over and one under the bar) alternating between sets. Chalk is also good. I would not go the route of listing straps IMO... Dont try to handle more weight then what your bod can naturally handle. Straps would be a crutch.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip and chalk