BOOORRRREEED in London!!

13»

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    My other half hates London too, but I love it! I even enjoy the commute into work!

Do you work in London too, Lauren?

I do, not far from Liverpool Street. I'm sure I remember you saying you worked in London too? Where abouts?
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Imagine you are in Iowa....trust me, London would be infinitely preferable!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    If you like jewellery the exhibitit "The Cheapside Hoard" at the London museum is fascinating.

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/whats-on/exhibitions-displays/cheapside-hoard-londons-lost-jewels/

You're in Wimbledon, right? Go check out the Korean grocers in New Malden.

Actually both great ideas. And the Korean grocers I could do while my kid is in school.

Ah, Korea Foods behind Big Yellow? That's a dangerous place. :laugh:

Everytime I go in there I keep thinking to myself that I'll just buy noodles/carbs and I come out with all manner of snack stuff. My current favourite is the Taro Thai Fish Strips - think high protein snacks. Om nom nom nom.

PS If you live near there, then you should drive a bit further down the A3 to: http://www.whitespiderclimbing.com/
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Sack London off and come up to the north much more friendlier Manchester > London
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    I think it was Oscar Wilde who said if you were bored of london you were bored of life?

anyway:

http://www.tiredoflondontiredoflife.com/
  • Photographers gallery is worth a look
  • Or Diggerland in Kent! ;)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    exercise!!!!! go on walking missions- use a map, get lost by only taking left turns or something equally mad, run in the parks etc all free. Use the many different ethnic food markets to explore new ingredients and take home to cook new meals, public libraries for new books to read, take up photography and look at buildings, parks, with new eyes, volunteer at the children's school- a local community centre etc... look what projects are happening locally and see how you can get involved (last few will also look great on a cv) loads to do
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    When I'm bored I make soup!! Chopping all those lovely veg and cooking them in a tiny smidge of oil takes some time. Maybe add some carefully trimmed, chopped up bacon, perhaps some lentils, stir and add water, maybe some tinned tomatoes (depending on what veg you've got). Cook til done, blitz with a blender or leave lumpy as you see fit - lovely and warming on a cold day!!

You could go to your local street market and see what's going at a reasonable price and make your soup from that.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Go into the city and search out some of the little parks and markets and things, some of them are amazing. If you have a smart phone look them up on google when you find them. People that say they 'despise' London obviously don't really know it, because it's so completely diverse. One part is completely different from the next. How can anyone lump Chinatown, Covent Garden and Camden together? So silly.

I love some parts of London, and others I wouldn't go near. One quite cool thing to do is to go blue plaque hunting. It's very cool to see where some of these legendary people used to live.

I was in the play 'Closer' once (you may have seen the film) and it features 'Postman's Park' which is behind the massive Royal Mail building at St Paul's. On one of the walls in this tiny tranquil little park in the middle of the City of London are plaques that are in memory of people that lost their lives saving others, all from Victorian Times. Fantastic little piece of History, that most people don't even know is there :)

London is amazing.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Put a coat on, you won't melt if it rains.

Go to Greenwich park and enjoy the place. Have a coffee at the cafe by the cross and maybe a sausage filled roll in Heap's by the north gate.....

London is amazing at anytime of the year, in any weather!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    London's s@#t. Move to Yorkshire.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Put a coat on, you won't melt if it rains.

I'd agree with you until I was trying to play tennis a couple of weeks ago when I got soaked to the skin despite wearing a raincoat. My trousers just stuck to my legs. Was horrible! That was in SW London so maybe the rain is less cold and wet in central London. :happy:
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Go to Brighton, u wont be bored!
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    This is what I would do if I was in London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invader_(artist)

Go search for these fellas, found all the remaining space invader art in Manchester, took photos and it was a massive walk and great fun.

I am a nerd though
    This is a great idea. I'll bet London's got Banksy's too....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy