How much time do you dedicate to lifting?

Options
ATM, I don't have a gym membership. I do most of my workouts at home or outdoors. Unfortunately, I don't have the space it would require to lift at home, so the gym really does seem like my only option.

I see a lot of people saying they workout for 1.5 hours/ 5 times a week at the gym and I just don't have the time to do that.

So, I'm just curious how much time a week do most people dedicate to lifting?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    4 days/week for an hour each time. Strictly lifting. Any cardio outside of that is just a bonus for me.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    40-60 mins, 5 days week :happy:
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym specifically so I could start weight training, and I lift 3 times a week for about an hour or so.

Now that the weather is bad I use the gym for cardio too so I'm there 6 days a week, but in the good weather I ran outdoors so would only have been using the gym 3 days.

Personally, with the results I've been seeing - the membership fee is worth it even if I was only going for the 3 days
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    30 min of pure lifting 3-4 times a week. I stay active on the weekend with hiking, but that's it.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You may find bodyweight exercises will give you all the strength and development that you want and be able to do all of this in around 30-45 minutes per day at home.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depends on what muscle group i'm working, but typically 1.5 hours 4-5 days a week. Hockey the other 2 days.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    60-80 minutes 3 times per week. I do compound lifts rather than isolated. Seems to work better for me at the moment.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    None. Perhaps I should but right now I just do the treadmill.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, you could do 3x6 of bench, deads and squats twice a week for 30-50 minutes per session...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You may find bodyweight exercises will give you all the strength and development that you want and be able to do all of this in around 30-45 minutes per day at home.

Well I want to look hot obviously LOL

Right now I do a mix of elliptical, jogging, zumba and at least 2 or 3 times a week I do fitnessblender toning videos.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ATM, I don't have a gym membership. I do most of my workouts at home or outdoors. Unfortunately, I don't have the space it would require to lift at home, so the gym really does seem like my only option.

I see a lot of people saying they workout for 1.5 hours/ 5 times a week at the gym and I just don't have the time to do that.

Weightlifting? 4 to 5 times per 1 week at about 1 hour per session. Can be longer if I have to wait for equipment to free up
    Running? 2 to 1 time per week at 1 hour minimum.

You can do quite a bit to be fit where you currently are-home and outdoors. Look up bodyweight workout of the day after googling those key words. Look into craigslist for inexpensive weights.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I do Chalean Extreme and the lifting videos (3X per week) are 35 minutes each. I do 2 days of cardio, which are also under an hour. Gets the job done for me!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My lifting workouts take 60-70 minutes 3x a week. Then I do 3x a week of cardio for 30-45mins each.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Weightlifting? 4 to 5 times per 1 week at about 1 hour per session. Can be longer if I have to weight for equipment to free up
    Running? 2 to 1 time per week at 1 hour minimum.

You can do quite a bit to be fit where you currently are-home and outdoors. Look up bodyweight workout of the day after googling those key words. Look into craigslist for inexpensive weights.

I do body weight workouts though some videos on fitnessblender. Is that enough to compensate for lifting?
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wrote a long answer and then the site indicated down for maintenance. Hehehe

The workouts at fitnessblender remind me of the cardio boot camp course I did over the summer. It was a grueling fast paced course and would leave me afterwards both sore and drenched in sweat. What are you experiencing in terms of results from the workouts thus far? Do you like how you feel? Feel an increase in overall health and stamina?

You can supplement and simulate weight work with body weight in the form of pushups, squats, lunges, dips(from a chair or bench), etc.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/body-weight-exercises

For real tough there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnjb8Hx76u8
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    90 to 120 minutes 3 times per week. However, I built a gym in my basement so it's not super inconvenient.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    45 min, twice a week.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    5 days a week for 60-70 minutes depending on what I'm doing.