Is it starvation mode???

Options

Replies

• captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Very nice article, nice site. Will have to return to it in a few weeks when I hit my 100 lb target and need to make significant adjustments for how I go into 2014 as i want to get closer to a -20% model rather than a strict -1000 calorie model I have been on for 11 months. The thought of if it ain't broke don't fix it, doesn't apply when I clearly broke some things (lower muscle mass than I would have wanted), so now is the time to refocus and start body composition and that site seems to have a lot of information that i can add to my list to refine and find a good targeted approach.

I do find great amusement in reading some of these posts and how people get all defensive that they are in a deficit but gaining. NO. I won't discount some people having real metabolic issues that need treatment, but most of us, if we aren't losing we aren't in a deficit.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Why does this type of thread show up so often - oh I see, it's a newb.

BTW, unsourced web blogs are usually not the best to back up your argument.

Although some call it "starvation mode", it's also referred to metabolic adaptation, starvation response, adaptive thermogenesis, etc. and they pretty much all mean the same thing. No it doesn't happen over night, or even in a week. It's a gradual process that can take months. This is what you would call a "stall" especially when people get close to their goal weight.

Are you saying people go into starvation mode when they get close to their goal weight?

Yes the longer you diet and the greater your deficit is the more you may experience starvation mode
    Again 21 peer reviewed studies listed directly and indirectly in my blog entry and a painted example for those who don't get how it can work in a subsequent entry

The original article posted by the OP uses some articles but misinterprets them and also claims a tiny effect which is not what most recent studies have found.

The article is NOT, I repeat NOT, disputing the fact that your metabolism will decrease as a result of a long term deficit. The longer or greater the deficit the more impact it will have on your metabolism. That was stated many times. What the article is saying is that you CANNOT hold on to weight or GAIN weight while in a caloric deficit. That is what you should have taken away from reading it... hopefully I cleared it up for you.:bigsmile:

ETA: I finally had some time to take a look at your blog post and I must say that I am quite flattered that you took the time to write that today after I started this thread. Here's the thing... what you said in your post has a lot of similar points as the article. I think maybe you are a bit defensive about the subject and immediately went into "I disagree" mode, before giving it some thought. Either way, we can agree to disagree -- even though we agree more than you think :wink:
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link to that article. It was very informative and explained alot.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Although some call it "starvation mode", it's also referred to metabolic adaptation, starvation response, adaptive thermogenesis, etc. and they pretty much all mean the same thing. No it doesn't happen over night, or even in a week. It's a gradual process that can take months. This is what you would call a "stall" especially when people get close to their goal weight.

Are you saying people go into starvation mode when they get close to their goal weight?

Yes the longer you diet and the greater your deficit is the more you may experience starvation mode
    Again 21 peer reviewed studies listed directly and indirectly in my blog entry and a painted example for those who don't get how it can work in a subsequent entry

The original article posted by the OP uses some articles but misinterprets them and also claims a tiny effect which is not what most recent studies have found.

The article is NOT, I repeat NOT, disputing the fact that your metabolism will decrease as a result of a long term deficit. The longer or greater the deficit the more impact it will have on your metabolism. That was stated many times. What the article is saying is that you CANNOT hold on to weight or GAIN weight while in a caloric deficit. That is what you should have taken away from reading it... hopefully I cleared it up for you.:bigsmile:

ETA: I finally had some time to take a look at your blog post and I must say that I am quite flattered that you took the time to write that today after I started this thread. Here's the thing... what you said in your post has a lot of similar points as the article. I think maybe you are a bit defensive about the subject and immediately went into "I disagree" mode, before giving it some thought. Either way, we can agree to disagree -- even though we agree more than you think :wink:

I wrote my blog entries before I read your thread. It was in response to a thread where someone was asking why they were not losing weight eating below 1200 calories thread is now locked.

And like I said in that thread and my blog entries I don't disagree that some people over-estimate and I _also_said that the majority of the time eat more to lose and you are over-estimating posts are saying the same thing

Which isn't about me or you its about the facts and the fact is that starvation mode is real it's not about us having similar ideas. Inciting those who don't read any supporting information what I'm concerned about.

ETA: VVVV exhibit A VVVV
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    7QkyXjL.gif
  • smc864
    Options

I wrote my blog entries before I read your thread. It was in response to a thread where someone was asking why they were not losing weight eating below 1200 calories

And like I said in that thread and my blog entries I don't disagree that some people over-estimate and I _also_said that the majority of the time eat more to lose and you are over-estimating posts are saying the same thing

Which isn't about me or you its about the facts and the fact is that starvation mode is real it's not about us having similar ideas.

This is the last time I am going to repeat myself...

Starvation response (i.e. adaptive thermogenesis) is REAL.

Starvation mode, AS MOST DEFINE IT, is a myth.

And I agree, this definitely isn't about you or me... it's about all the misinformation out there that is a detriment to those trying to lose weight.

Oh jeez I just realized I haven't eaten since noon, I better go before my metabolism shuts down and I go into starvation mode. :laugh:
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    No. The answer is no. Starvation mode, as most define it, is a myth. Please read this article:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Thank you so very much for the link. Very informative!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Actually I thought it was 450 calories a day, but I didn't remember it correctly here is the quote

"absolute TDEE was significantly reduced in
    CR (−454±76 kcal/d) and
    LCD (−633±66 kcal/d) but not in
    CR+EX or
    controls"

CR - Calorie Restricted
    LCD - Low Calorie Restricted
    CR +Ex - Calorie Restricted with Exercise

So there you go, it is hundreds of calories a day and in the Low Calorie Diet up to 700 calories a day

In which study (of the 21 you quoted) was this and what was the starting TDEE for this?

Also the last person you so valiantly defended with this actually admitted to not weighing her food and not using a HRM for her exercise calories.

Why does it only affect some people and not others? i.e. the girl who posted a few weeks (a couple of months maybe) ago that was like 73lbs or something and in medical care for her anorexia clearly didn't get this until she was down to her last few body fat % (which I believe was the results of the Minnesota experiment as well)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    popcorn2.gif
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Excellent article. This ties in nicely with an earlier thread where the person decided to actually weigh all of her food for a day instead of using cups/spoons/packaging info and found that the actual weight/calorie content of her food was many more calories than she had been logging. If you aren't losing weight, you are incorrectly logging food and exercise. Such a simple concept.
  • smc864
    Options
    Excellent article. This ties in nicely with an earlier thread where the person decided to actually weigh all of her food for a day instead of using cups/spoons/packaging info and found that the actual weight/calorie content of her food was many more calories than she had been logging. If you aren't losing weight, you are incorrectly logging food and exercise. Such a simple concept.

It is quite simple isn't it? :happy:

Shame I didn't see that thread. It would have made me very happy in the end.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you are incorrectly logging food and exercise. Such a simple concept.

But, but... STARVATION MODE!!
  • smc864
    Options
    Very nice article, nice site. Will have to return to it in a few weeks when I hit my 100 lb target and need to make significant adjustments for how I go into 2014 as i want to get closer to a -20% model rather than a strict -1000 calorie model I have been on for 11 months. The thought of if it ain't broke don't fix it, doesn't apply when I clearly broke some things (lower muscle mass than I would have wanted), so now is the time to refocus and start body composition and that site seems to have a lot of information that i can add to my list to refine and find a good targeted approach.

I do find great amusement in reading some of these posts and how people get all defensive that they are in a deficit but gaining. NO. I won't discount some people having real metabolic issues that need treatment, but most of us, if we aren't losing we aren't in a deficit.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I really like his site overall! He has a lot of great ideas and his writing style is entertaining.
  • smc864
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you are incorrectly logging food and exercise. Such a simple concept.

But, but... STARVATION MODE!!

You'll never learn, will you?! :wink: :laugh:
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Now that I've had time to read everything...it really is that simple. Calories in must be less than calories out. According to all the "proven" crap I've read as to why we don't lost the weight, this is what I gather...

-if you eat too much, you gain weight
    -if you eat too little, you gain weight
    -if you exercise too much, you gain weight
    -if you exercise too little, you gain weight
    -if you eat dairy, you gain weight
    -if you don't eat dairy, you gain weight
    -if you don't do the f*cking hokey pokey at the exact moment Venus aligns with Kasterborous, you gain weight

I'm sticking with calories in < calories out
  • smc864
    Options

-if you don't do the f*cking hokey pokey at the exact moment Venus aligns with Kasterborous, you gain weight

lmao :laugh:
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic--2.png
    so if starvation mode thing is true why are anorexics so darn thin? by that logice they should not lose weight as much or as fast as they tend to

also why dont they eat bacon?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump for later after I do my evening hokey-pokey.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    great article!! Sharing with friends :)
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What a great article! This is something my group needs to know about.