What is counted at exercise?

Options

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's up to everyone what they want to count as exercise. Personally, I only log gym visits at 300 calories a time. I know I burn more than that but I eat back only 300 of them. I don't log anything else but that's just me.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit, that will figure it out for you!

That's what I did. I have my daily activity set to sedentary. Then I let the fitbit figure it out.
    Everyone is different. Do what works for you but be consistent. That's the key.

This is what I have been doing as well. Its been working so far, may need to adjust as I get closer to goal, but I have a long ways to go.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options

if your going to count sitting at your desk as exercise, expect to maintain or gain... that's like logging pooping... im sure that burns calories too!

That's awesome! Didn't know I could log a poop!

As for the sweating?? I walk 60 min. 5-6km. I don't sweat, should I not be logging that???

Same with me. I walked 7.8 miles today. Did I sweat? No. Am I counting it? You're damn right.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No, you probably shouldn't count your sitting at your desk. *L* That said, I don't understand the mentality that some people here seem to have that "if you don't sweat, it's not exercise." I walk at least 5 miles a day, at a brisk pace; today I did nearly 8 miles, in a little less than two hours. My heart rate was in the "fitness" zone (I wear a HRM during my walks.) This time of year, I don't sweat....because it's friggin' November in Newfoundland and it's bloody cold. So I'd love to know the rationale behind this idea that you have to be just givin' er on a treadmill in order for it to "count". I lost 65 pounds through walking alone....so for me, I say that's exercise.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Anything that is above and beyond what your activity level is set to (i.e. you have it set to sedentary, then you spend 4 hours on a Saturday, cleaning every room in your house) should be counted ...

ETA: OP said they were dancing in their chair ... Now are we talking like the "I have to pee" dance (fidgeting) or full-on disco moves, while rolling around the office in you desk chair? Because the latter would actually burn some extra calories ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    supposedly I burn 480 calories by working at my desk for 8 hours a day. Should I count that as exercise?
    You'd likely burn about 300-400 from lying in bed for the same amount of time....
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

If it's just light, stretching type yoga, I wouldn't. It doesn't burn many calories at all.

allright, thanks :D

I do count my yoga classes. Obviously you aren't going to burn nearly as many calories as in an hour of cardio, but the numbers might surprise you. According to the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, stretching for one hour burns 180 calories. (source Livestrong.com). I take 75 minute classes twice a week alternating with my heavy workout days.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    No that's not exercising. You're not exerting yourself in any, way, shape or form by sitting at a desk. Your body naturally burns calories throughout the day. But only when you are doing some form of physical activity… walking, running, jogging, yoga, zumba, weight training, swimming, etc… should you count it as exercise.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Anything that is above and beyond what your activity level is set to (i.e. you have it set to sedentary, then you spend 4 hours on a Saturday, cleaning every room in your house) should be counted ...

ETA: OP said they were dancing in their chair ... Now are we talking like the "I have to pee" dance (fidgeting) or full-on disco moves, while rolling around the office in you desk chair? Because the latter would actually burn some extra calories ...

I like this response. With my job I am set at very active, this would include most of my daily calories. However, I choose to get a Fitbit to help with adjustments. Now if I do Zumba or something else such as that, then I wear my HRM and count those calories. For some people cleaning house is exercise. This is a study guide not a rule book.

Good luck on your journey!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I like this response. With my job I am set at very active, this would include most of my daily calories. However, I choose to get a Fitbit to help with adjustments. Now if I do Zumba or something else such as that, then I wear my HRM and count those calories. For some people cleaning house is exercise. This is a study guide not a rule book.

Good luck on your journey!

Much of the information about weight loss takes the form of guidelines. But change too many fundamental definitions and you won't get the results you want. People have been engaging in structured physical activity for centuries. Certain activities burn significantly more calories. They're called exercise.

I exercise and am active as much as I can, but I don't keep track of the calories burned. There are too many factors that would make the calculation inaccurate. When serious about weight loss I focus on the calories I eat and weigh myself several days a week. There's no reason to over-complicate matters by worrying whether scratching my nose will burn 4 calories.

I often think that these discussions about exercise are a way of avoiding the real issue: the need for calorie reduction and the eating the right foods.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I don't sweat, I don't count it.

If that's the rule then peeling an orange counts for me. ;-)
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you don't have to change your clothes before doing it and shower afterwards, I wouldn't count it ...

I only log my running/walking which is synched from the Endomondo app (which I think is overestimated a bit - which is why I don't try to eat all of those calories back)
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sitting at your desk is included in your daily activity, even if you chose Sedentary. Don't count it.

2nd this!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything that doesn't raise my heart rate for a prolonged time as exercise. That is the definition of exercise.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    supposedly I burn 480 calories by working at my desk for 8 hours a day. Should I count that as exercise?

No,

I've seen people log ready for this ...

"Reading"
    "Studying"
    "Driving"

... like really you ****ing logged reading ... and then I say something and they try and explain it... GTFO
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? If you set it at Sedentary, you will end up light on your Calories if you don't.... which will give you a higher deficit.... which will help you lose weight faster in theory.

When I started I set my activity level at Sedentary. I logged everything... cooking, cleaning, walking around with the baby if it was more than 30 minutes. I bought a pedomoter and entered those calories. And it worked for me.

Now I've figured out about how much I burn on average a day. I bumped my goal up to Active and don't add it in any more.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's up to everyone what they want to count as exercise. Personally, I only log gym visits at 300 calories a time. I know I burn more than that but I eat back only 300 of them. I don't log anything else but that's just me.

Well, no, it actually isn't. "Exercise" has a generally understood meaning and things like standing, reading, etc. do not fit it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself that exercise must be intentional and for the sake of burning calories.
    this. ^^

I walk about 4 miles a day just by being on campus, but I don't log that because I'm not walking just to do it, I'm walking cuz I have no other way to get to class. But if I run 5 miles on a treadmill, with the intention of working out, that's what I'll log. That's just my preference though.
  • cchuran
    Options
    What are you doing while at your desk everyday? Are you riding on a bike while sitting? I have a master's degree in exercise physiology and can say that you do not burn that much as an activity. You may burn around that in 8 hours based off your metabolism. If you are looking to utilize energy and burn calories, sitting is not recommended.
    Hope this helps,
    For more information on exercise, check out my ebook: http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Your-Health-Chris-Churan-ebook/dp/B00H1C8WAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386208485&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+churan