Make a heavy lifting routine for a beginner?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

After years of powerlifting doing some pretty advanced routines, when I returned to the weight room after a several years off, I did a few months of 5x5 just to get my feet under me again, because it was a simple program to follow that hit all the bases. Once my strength came back some, then I moved to 5/3/1 as my current plan.

I am swapping from high-bar to low-bar and doing this at first - running 5 x 5 alongside 5/3/1 for the rest of my lifts until I get a good base and then will slot into 5/3/1 (I also adapt 5/3/1 to squat more than once a week). It's a matter of getting time under the bar and those neurons firing properly. I realize that you can do BBB or another alternate to get some volume in, but running a 5/3/1 progression for the 'main lift' just seems unnecessary in that circumstance.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

After years of powerlifting doing some pretty advanced routines, when I returned to the weight room after a several years off, I did a few months of 5x5 just to get my feet under me again, because it was a simple program to follow that hit all the bases. Once my strength came back some, then I moved to 5/3/1 as my current plan.

I am swapping from high-bar to low-bar and doing this at first - running 5 x 5 alongside 5/3/1 for the rest of my lifts until I get a good base and then will slot into 5/3/1 (I also adapt 5/3/1 to squat more than once a week). It's a matter of getting time under the bar and those neurons firing properly. I realize that you can do BBB or another alternate to get some volume in, but running a 5/3/1 progression for the 'main lift' just seems unnecessary in that circumstance.

Yeah I've been out of he gym for 5 weeks now, and I'm doing the same, using 5x5 to get back in the gym really really light (I spent yesterday squatting & benching the bar and rowing for 65lbs... ) and using the quick progression to get back up to my old 65% TM numbers. I figure after 5 weeks of rest this is a good way to continue to give my body some rest while not just sitting at home fanning my *kitten* and getting me up to speed pretty quickly. It'll be like 5 weeks of full rest, and 4 weeks of active recovery.

Btw, running a 5x5 when switching squat movements... I like that. Though you know you've got to be stronger with the low bar squat, how much did you drop your squat weight to accomidate the new movement?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yeah I've been out of he gym for 5 weeks now, and I'm doing the same, using 5x5 to get back in the gym really really light (I spent yesterday squatting & benching the bar and rowing for 65lbs... ) and using the quick progression to get back up to my old 65% TM numbers. I figure after 5 weeks this is a good way to continue to give my body some rest while not just sitting at home fanning my *kitten*.

Btw, running a 5x5 when switching squat movements... I like that. Though you know you've got to be stronger with the low bar squat, how much did you drop your squat weight to accomidate the new movement?

I am planning on dropping it really low to get some practice in. So I will be starting at 95lb and adding 10lb a session (2 x a week) - this is quicker than a usual progression under a 5 x 5, but as I have been squatting, albeit high-bar, for a while, I am hoping it works out. I should be up to about 90% of my high bar max in about 6 weeks - which co-incides with the next mesocycle of 5/3/1 - so I will be slotting it in then...at least, that is the plan.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Very cool. I was doing a low bar, switched to high bar, ****ed up my knees by doing it wrong (I guess... my form looked good to me... maybe knees too far forward or bouncing in the hole too much...)

Anyhow now I'm back to low bar. When I had switched to high bar I progressed using 5/3/1 though. I might have dropped it further and avoided injury if I had taken your approach.

I kinda hate high bar now though lol It's a really different movement than low bar, and seems to put more stress on the knees regardless.
  • star5785
    Options
    I want to start a strength training routine and looked into 5x5, 5-3-1 and New Rules of Lifting. But I have bad knees and can't do squats. I've never come across a squat modifier so which program would you think I could physically do?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I want to start a strength training routine and looked into 5x5, 5-3-1 and New Rules of Lifting. But I have bad knees and can't do squats. I've never come across a squat modifier so which program would you think I could physically do?

Can you do leg extensions, leg presses, lunges or other exercises that involve your knee joint?
  • star5785
    Options

Can you do leg extensions, leg presses, lunges or other exercises that involve your knee joint?

Not sure about leg extensions or presses because I haven't tried. But I can't do lunges or squats :(
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Too much work for a beginner and no need for isolation work for a beginner IMO.

Accessory work doesn't need to be isolation work. Chin-ups are not an isolation movement, back raises are not an isolation movement, etc.

A beginner does not really have the need to do bicep curls, shrugs ect, when those are not necessary. A novice or advanced lifter could have more of a need but not necessarily a beginner.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Too much work for a beginner and no need for isolation work for a beginner IMO.

Accessory work doesn't need to be isolation work. Chin-ups are not an isolation movement, back raises are not an isolation movement, etc.

A beginner does not really have the need to do bicep curls, shrugs ect, when those are not necessary. A novice or advanced lifter could have more of a need but not necessarily a beginner.

Never really understood this line of thinking. Maybe you could explain it to me. I understand the normal beginner doing nothing but curls and bench but why should a beginner NOT do curls after their 5x5 compound lifts.

Not trolling. SRS question.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Not sure about leg extensions or presses because I haven't tried. But I can't do lunges or squats :(

I would try those out - plus barbell hip thusts or glute raises for teh bootey.
  • star5785
    Options
    ^^Thanks for the advice. Sorry for hijacking here!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

Never really understood this line of thinking. Maybe you could explain it to me. I understand the normal beginner doing nothing but curls and bench but why should a beginner NOT do curls after their 5x5 compound lifts.

Not trolling. SRS question.

Not saying that one should never do curls or any other type of isolation movement but from a beginner standpoint there is not much of a benefit from doing curls that are only an isolating movement on the biceps when chin-ups, or assisted chin ups if the individual can not do them on their own, that involve more of the body can accomplish. I guess what I am saying is that you are getting more with less. IMO too many individuals, beginner and advanced alike, that focus too much on isolation movements. Just my $0.02 is all.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Just finished stronglifts for the first time I really liked that simple and effective :D
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Step Ups?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'd tend to agree that 5x5 is a better beginner program than 5/3/1. With 5/3/1 you have to figure out what you'll use for assistance, weights to use on that, etc. 5x5 is simple and laid out right in front of you for easy progression.

It's kind of sad that our society will go towards what's easiest rather than what might take a little extra work but is better in the long run. :(

Yeah man, I mean that works for you and me, but asking someone to buy a book when they're just looking to get started is a stretch usually, unless they are specifically asking for a recommendation for one.

I rather give them something simple and solid (though, again, 5/3/1 is only complicated in comparison, the program IS simple) and free that they can get started on. And you can't argue that it focuses completely on the fundamentals, no bs. It is a very good program for someone's first few months, especially the completely untrained.

People can make a choice to spend less time on FB or something else to make time to read the book. It's all a matter of choice, don't make excuses for people's laziness or the choices they make. How is 5/3/1 complicated? Seriously? Westside is a little complicated for sure, Cube Method, is slightly complicated.
    I think the benefit to 5x5 is you get time to learn the mechanics of the lift whereas I'd say in 5/3/1 you should already have the lift mechanics already down pat.

Honestly, you should learn the mechanics before you start any program anyway. You should learn how to pre-stretch, warm-up, and post-stretch properly as well. You should just sit there and do lots of reps for practice anyway before you really start any method.
    Do you expect a beginner to automatically know the perfect way to bench for example and to have that engrained muscle memory?
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump