Career Choices: Money or Fun?

Options
soehlerking
soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
So I'm 26 y/o, college graduate, and I have a cubicle position that pays my bills and has excellent benefits. The only real downside? It's boring. The slow times are VERY slow, and the busy times are hectic, with lots of angry clients. But it's a stable job (for which I am quite grateful), there's room for upward movement within my department, and my co-workers are nice enough.

So my question is: When you chose your career, did you choose something that "paid the bills" or something you're truly passionate about? Do you think you made the right choice for you? My parents always told me that I MUST choose something I am truly passionate about, but I'm 26 and I still don't know what that is. I'm probably not going to base my life choices off a forum post, but I'm just curious where everyone else is at on this.

Replies

• RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I went with what I'm truly passionate about. Yes...it pays the bills and I'm thankful for that, but I would still be a nurse even if it didn't pay as much. :)
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I made my choice based off what I thought I loved. It wasn't till I started doing it that I realized I'm bored to death. I've been having this debate with myself lately to go and find something that will be more fun but pay the bills.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm 27, my job pays the bills. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Something that is a balance of both.

I think there is a continuum and they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Some lucky people have both. I don't hate my job, but it's not my burning passion. And now, off to a meeting. Not one of the parts I like :tongue:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I chose something that was interesting and fun to me. Because of TV I thought architects were rich, but really it's the builders and developers that make all of the money. We were told this during freshman year in college that we would have to love the job to stick with it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm on MFP all day, so my job is awesome....I love it.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

x2

and it pays well
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

x2

and it pays well

Haha, right!?
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love my job, it's not always the most fun thing int he world, but I love it. I did make sure when I chose a career that it would be one where I would make enough to have the living I want to have.
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Read Cal Newport "So Good They Can't Ignore You"

It takes a pretty intelligent stance on the culture of passion based career planning.
  • annamaries13
    annamaries13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My career is what I love - but it doesn't pay the bills (yet).

So my "day job" is - well, it pays the bills. I do care about it, and the people are great, but it's a means to an end. Which in some ways helps me keep perspective: when things at work are stressful, i work hard to get things done but can leave the emotional commitment at my desk instead of taking it home with me every day. Of course, I hope that my real love can pay the bills some or all of the time - but that's also because I'd like to be able to devote ALL of my energy to it, not split my focus and time the way I do now.

Basically, it seems to me that the"9-5" should be something you care about, but doesn't have to be your highest passion. As long as you have room in your life to pursue what you love, I think that's what matters.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    when I first taught an adult ed class I thought great, I really have found what I was meant to do and compared to the dead end jobs I had done before (to fit in with child care needs and study) it even paid quite well. Fast forward 15 years of doing this and even rising to dept/curriculum manager posts the pay now does not seem that good and it is easy to feel very jaded with endless govt initiatives, real funding challenges, far to much paper work etc and I am sure this job no longer holds what it once did for me and is just about paying the bills these days. Just go with what you need to do at the time, money, when you are young and childless has less importance if you also have supportive family to go back too. Money with a mortgage, children etc means you very much have to stick with what you know will be secure and bring in enough!!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have a job that I love and I'm passionate about, it's fun! I also am lucky enough to go back to school and do what I really want. Sometimes you have to settleish for now until what you want really comes up. My aunt just started the job of her dreams after working for 30+ years doing something different
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I chose passion. I am a paramedic...got my first cert way back in 1990. I responded to 3 MAJOR disasters in about 6 years time, including 9/11. When I was due to recert after that one, I chose not to. Biggest regret of my life. I went to work as a regional manager of a pathology lab, and man did THAT pay the bills, but I was miserable. I moved to my dream spot and retook the paramedic class. (had to, I'd been out too long.) and just "re-" graduated this past spring. (Now I have a paramedicine degree X 2!) I make peanuts and have to work 4 jobs to make ends meet, but I've never been happier. I make a difference and get to do it doing what I love. I'm in my 40's and my friends are horrified that I walked away from a good paying job to live my dream, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Confucius: 'Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.',
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Money so I can have more fun when I'm not at work.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on your plans. If you want to have a family, your options are a little different than if you just want to be single and live by your wits forever. There are some working environments that are just not worth any amount of money to me, but in general, I think if your intent is to have a family, their quality of life is more important than your job being fun. And even if a family isn't on the immediate horizon for you, the decisions you make now will impact the choices that are available to you down the road. There are a lot worse things in life than having a job that pays the bills, offers great benefits, and comes with tolerable co-workers.

When I think about the things I really, truly enjoy doing, I almost feel like I'd grow to hate them if I had to depend on them to make a living. Baking, for example, is something I genuinely love to do. It is a creative outlet for me. It is also an expression of affection. As cool as it would be to wake up and create an awesome new cookie or cupcake recipe every day, I would rather do it for fun or as a kind gesture. Depending on that for money would add stress to my life and take away one of my outlets for stress relief.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of money too, so that I can play when I'm not working. But everyone passions are different right? I enjoy travelling, partying and lifting. Since I'm not an agent to the celebrities nor have the credentials to train anyone in anything, I work. However working in Europe with a month of PTO is more appealing than what we have here in the states (generally speaking).

But I take what I can get. Off for a two week vacation next week in 2 continents :bigsmile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant...I'm very good at it and it comes naturally and easily for me...and it pays well. That said, it isn't my dream job...but I wouldn't really be able to support my family if I was just livin' the dream. My family obligations trump "dream job" for now.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Money - the fun is for after work.

That said, if you TRULY hate it - it's not worth if. I it's alright and you're good at it. Keep going.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I chose my passion. I went after it and it's paying off.