Career Choices: Money or Fun?

Options
2»

Replies

• Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant...I'm very good at it and it comes naturally and easily for me...and it pays well. That said, it isn't my dream job...but I wouldn't really be able to support my family if I was just livin' the dream. My family obligations trump "dream job" for now.

spoken like a fellow accountant
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I’m a 28 year old CPA and I can honestly say I enjoy what I do. It’s not the most exciting thing in the world to most people (and might even scare some), but I really like it and I think that has to do a lot with the industry I’m in. How could a girl not love to work in the fashion retail industry? It pays the bills and then some, but I’m NEVER bored. I have no idea what boring at work would be like and I’m always challenged and doing new things and I honestly enjoy coming here.

Does your job need to be your passion? I’m not sure. I wouldn’t say numbers, my pencil, and my 10-key are my passion, but do I like going to work? Yes. Do I like the people I work with? Yes. Do I feel challenged and empowered? Yes. That to me is a good job worth sticking with. I hope you find that someday.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I went with both.

"Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life!"
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    MOst people aren't passionate about their jobs. I doubt I ever will be passionate about any job I do but I do love the money that comes in so I can have fun in my off time. I'm back in school now, going after my second degree (at 33 :ohwell: ) just so I can get a higher paying job at the end of it. Petroleum engineering degree, I'm looking at you.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    FUN!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Eh, I have a tolerable career that pays really well. So I can afford to have fun when I am not at work.

In reality, I don't do anything but hang out with my kids when I am not at work. Or just sit at home when they visit their mom. But I can afford to have fun if I ever choose to do so lol.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It's a toss up that's personal to each person - my job is BORING, but it pays well, does it pay the bills, No? Do I have any chance in heck of movement, No? But my kids' need for stability trumps all of that.

Saying that though, it wasn't until about this time last year that I figured out what it was I truly truly wanted to do with my life, and I am beginning the process of taking baby steps in that direction - no not going back to school, Lordy day I have a two degrees, don't need another one - no instead I am researching options and doing other items voluntarily within the industry in my spare time.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    money... don't have the luxury of fun..
  • addicted2numbers
    addicted2numbers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am still in school for nursing. I chose it because it's a win win for me. Something I am 100% interested in and it will pay the bills.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If you can have fun while paying the bills DO IT. I don't live to work I work to live.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have worked in retail...liked the high energy, and LOVED it when I worked with stuff I had a real interest in (movies, books, educational materials) but really did not like it when I worked with stuff I had no interest in (trendy t-shirts, appliances, hardware)...also unless you're a top manager retail USUALLY pays pretty horribly, so I've long left that behind.

I worked in social services hands-on and had true passion for it. My clients with autism and other diagnoses were amazing and I loved my job. However, funding cuts and things like that always seemed to get in the way of my job. I didn't major in a human services field, and found a glass ceiling due to that (higher positions nearly ALWAYS required a human services degree)...I considered returning to college for that degree, but the positions in my area would only pay 10% or so over what I'd normally earn, so it just did not feel worthwhile to me.

I worked as a social services auditor, and it was an excellent fit for me skill-wise and personality wise, in the nonprofit world. However I was MEGA stressed and wound up leaving that due to a huge life turnaround (lost house in a tornado, ex husband I was married to at the time took a really good job in another city). Sometimes I regret leaving, and remember the whole "career" feeling of having a nice salary, 5 weeks of vacation, my name in the newspaper, etc...but then I remember the stress eating, constant migraines, and never leaving work at work...so maybe not...

Now I'm working in an accounting/administrative job that is pretty much a dead end. It pays okay, and the benefits are pretty good. I have no passion for it, but after several other really, really bad jobs (paralegal for a verbally abusive female attorney being one recent example)...it's okay. It pays the bills. At 37 yrs old with 21 yrs of work experience and a liberal arts degree, I feel kind of like I've failed BADLY at the whole career thing. But I'm not done yet ;-) I am debt free and paying the bills. I could see myself one day starting up my own business or something else. I am not going to do this forever, but I am going to do this for now.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You all are fantastic. Keep on doing what you do. :D
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I chased money, found money, and finally have settled into something I really enjoy.

The good news is, in most cases if you pursue something that is personally satisfying, you eventually find a way to capitalize on it, or at least make a decent living. As long as you don't have grandiose dreams of mansions. 10 cars, and monthly travel, you can do anything and have a nice home, good friends, plenty to eat, a nice car, raise a family, and hit Disney.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've got both (at least until my contract runs out). But generally speaking, I'd probably choose money/stability. I wouldn't completely compromise what I believe in but I'd be willing to work a boring job if if the money was right. It would free me up to pursue my passion on my own time without having to worry about filling the fridge.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm on MFP all day, so my job is awesome....I love it.

x2

and it pays well

x3

although i do have some stuff i should be getting done.

I went for stability wanted to know I could always find a job even though the pay is average at least I know I can go anywhere in the country and work
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this question daily.

I'm still pursuing my undergraduate degree but have been lucky enough to work 2 different co-op jobs in the federal government to gain experience. These jobs have given me plenty of skills and paid much more than the crap minimum wage jobs I was working before. I love the jobs for the money, but that's it. I'm finding it more and more surprising how much the current position I have causes me more depression than when I was working at Subway with a bunch of incompitants.

I know I can never stay working in an office unless the subject matter is something that I have a personal interest in, but I doubt I will ever find such a position. I would rather have a job I love that doesn't pay much than have a job I hate that pays more than I need, but since I'm young I still need the job I would hate to get myself set up financially for my future before I can have a job that I love.

I hope to find a balance one day...
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    fun with no money, how can you afford the cost of living, money and no fun, sometimes you can find ways to be fun with those money
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

When I think about the things I really, truly enjoy doing, I almost feel like I'd grow to hate them if I had to depend on them to make a living. Baking, for example, is something I genuinely love to do. It is a creative outlet for me. It is also an expression of affection. As cool as it would be to wake up and create an awesome new cookie or cupcake recipe every day, I would rather do it for fun or as a kind gesture. Depending on that for money would add stress to my life and take away one of my outlets for stress relief.

I feel exactly the same way. This is why I changed my major in college. I was an Art major, then an Art education major, but I felt that both of those would be less than fun after a few years (or less)!

At one point, in my late 20's, I took a second job at a furniture/interior design gallery thinking it might be the path to living my dream and becoming a designer. It was a fun job (most of the time) but once I understood the reality of it...no way would I be happy doing that job, figuring out Tuscan columns and the perfect lamps for some rich snotty person with bad taste.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to be bored! What is your desire?? What is your passion? If you can't make money at your passion, then make sure you fulfill yourself outside of work! If you can make money doing what you love, start making a plan to DO it!

I have only had one job I HATED -- I lasted 2 weeks! (It was a cocktail waitress in college - I couldn't stand it! drunk people are way annoying when you are sober -- and it was hard. I am still a good tipper to this day!) :noway:

I am an artist, a teacher, a visual thinker. I have a branding & graphic design firm now and LOVE what I do!! My advice - make a plan to get to where you want to be and then do one thing everyday that will take you there. :heart:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

When I think about the things I really, truly enjoy doing, I almost feel like I'd grow to hate them if I had to depend on them to make a living. Baking, for example, is something I genuinely love to do. It is a creative outlet for me. It is also an expression of affection. As cool as it would be to wake up and create an awesome new cookie or cupcake recipe every day, I would rather do it for fun or as a kind gesture. Depending on that for money would add stress to my life and take away one of my outlets for stress relief.

I feel exactly the same way. This is why I changed my major in college. I was an Art major, then an Art education major, but I felt that both of those would be less than fun after a few years (or less)!

At one point, in my late 20's, I took a second job at a furniture/interior design gallery thinking it might be the path to living my dream and becoming a designer. It was a fun job (most of the time) but once I understood the reality of it...no way would I be happy doing that job, figuring out Tuscan columns and the perfect lamps for some rich snotty person with bad taste.

My thoughts exactly I'd rather have the money to do something I love to do and do it when I please. Some can combine both though, but for many of us it's not our jobs that are our passion it's our family, our vacations, our hobbies.

And I shouldnt say not our passion I do really like my job, but it's not my driving force in my life.