Posting your relationship on facebook

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm still single on FB but my girlfriend doesn't have a FB account so what she doesn't know won't hurt her, it's nice to have all those women still throw themselves at me and flirt with all of them!

Oh don't worry. I'm just going to save over your file on Zelda tonight

Ok let's not go crazy here! It was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Lol @ people who care about what their relationship says on a website versus reality.

Fun answer:
    He is a player and doesn't want to be locked down by the Facebook status because he is trying to play the field and conquer as many ladies as he can. You should break up with him because this is a big red flag of his lack of commitment, next you are going to tell me he doesn't want to be in a relationship with you on MySpace or doesn't want to label you on his phone as future wife!

Real Answer:
    If you are happy in your relationship with him and he is being genuine with you, do you think the extra showcasing on Facebook will some how enhance or change that? the only thing it changes is now you are just adding extra people's opinions into your relationship. But if you are a person who cares that much about others' opinions, or you need that self esteem boost from having a website status declare you are in a relationship to a bunch of people you barely see or talk to, then force him to do it. If he doesn't, then break up and move on to someone who is willing to meet your expectations in a relationship (declare love on Facebook).
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    What Facebook says about your relationship has very little to do with your actual relatinoship. But the fact that you're insecure/worried about him not wanting to put it on Facebook means that you don't trust him, and that's a red flag.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Facebook? That's still around?
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, this was something I cared a lot about. Why, I don't really know.

Now that I'm not in high school and above that high school mentality, I don't care nearly as much anymore. I like to have it showing because I think I'm a little OCD about things like that (I'm one of few friends I have on FB that actually keep their job and education sections up to date because the innacurracies drive me crazy!) but I know that even if it's not up, everyone that matters would still know who I'm dating. The people (in my experiences) that hide when they are single or are in a relationship is just because they have dealt with so much drama in the past regarding who they are or are not in relationships with that they don't want to deal with it anymore.

If it's important to you, just ask why he hasn't - he is your boyfriend after all, you are allowed :laugh: . Maybe he doesn't want to change it because your relationship is still new - wait a few more weeks at least before mentioning it to him.

And if him not putting up his relationship status with you is a relationship ended, then I'm sorry sweetie, but you may not have been mature enough to handle a relationship in the first place.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    both mine and my husband state "married" and sometimes we even mean to each other

bacon
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Really? You don't have to post EVERYTHING about your life on Facebook... Some people like their love life to be a mystery....The one's who really need to know your are in a relationship already do I'm sure.:flowerforyou:
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Facebook? That's still around?

bingo.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend of a year has never accepted my relationship request. It bothered me at first (because of part two of my story) but I've come to see that he definitely is all in. He's never seemed too interested in putting stuff on Facebook, but I am 100% sure it's not a bad thing.

That said, the boyfriend before him refused to put anything on Facebook and used the same reasoning (doesn't want people in his business, etc). This was an early sign of his dedication to me, I found fairly quickly it was because he used Facebook to chat with girls and didn't want anyone to know about me.

My best advice is, let your relationship with him tell you whether this is a red flag or not. If it is, there will be a million other signs. It's harder to see them sometimes in long distance relationships, but you will. If this is just a little quirk of his, you'll know that too. Your instincts should tell you if this is the guys for you or not. Pay attention to his actions, how he interacts with you on Facebook, etc. One small thing like this could be a sign or it could be nothing, but giving things time and looking at them as a whole rather than focusing on a detail like this has always worked better for me in relationships.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Delete your FB. Problem solved.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I love it when they post their relationship, get in a big, public FB fight, change their relationship to 'single', tell everyone what a p.o.s. their ex is, don't unfriend each other so they can fight, then a week later they are back in a relationship with said p.o.s. .
    Priceless entertainment value.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    One, you can change your status without linking it to another person. So he could put "in a relationship" but it doesn't have to say "with" and link to your profile.

Two, I say it's better not to do this anyway because it's more of an invitation than a deterrent. People, especially women (not all, but in my opinion there are plenty) want what they can't have, and announcing you're together on a social media site where private messages can be exchanged, is inviting drama that, believe me, neither of you wants.

My bf and I have been exclusive for 3 years. Neither of us has changed our facebook status to indicate that. We tag each other in posts when we feel like it, and our family and close friends all know where we stand. Acquaintences and strangers don't need to know our business, because they are the ones that have potential for ill-intent anyway.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I removed the option to have a relationship status on my profile entirely.

I've been with someone for 6 months.

I don't like that aspect of my life to be publicized. I would feel the same way if I were dating Brad Pitt, so it has nothing to do with embarrassment.

My love life is a private life.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm still single on FB but my girlfriend doesn't have a FB account so what she doesn't know won't hurt her, it's nice to have all those women still throw themselves at me and flirt with all of them!

How YOU doin'? :wink:

Hey, I heard you got yourself a new guy friend lately, as long as your status isn't changed on FB, it's not cheating!

I keep my status hidden! That way it's NEVER facebook official and I can be flirted with by EVERYONE!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. I'd accept his answer at face value. If, after having met in person and some serious time has passed, he doesn't want to acknowledge things then you might worry, but 2 weeks (to me) isn't in a relationship. It's talking and getting to know you.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, this was something I cared a lot about. Why, I don't really know.

Eff me... I'm officially feeling very old after reading that statement. :grumble: :sad:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Those relationship statuses are stupid, but nothing is more irritating than couples who have a shared FB page.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Those relationship statuses are stupid, but nothing is more irritating than couples who have a shared FB page.

Nothing says...

"We are insecure in our relationship"

more than a joint account.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    The ubiquitous question: if it doesn't happen on facebook, does it really happen?

I got this for my FB addicted friend who checks in EVERYWHERE...

awesome-t_zps71fb9161.png
  • reds_1
    reds_1 Posts: 59
    Options
    I love it when they post their relationship, get in a big, public FB fight, change their relationship to 'single', tell everyone what a p.o.s. their ex is, don't unfriend each other so they can fight, then a week later they are back in a relationship with said p.o.s. .
    Priceless entertainment value.

I agree. The online arguing is priceless.