Relationships ruin diets !

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just have healthier dates next time. Sushi and mountain biking!
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    I agree with you and have similar experiences. I was losing on MFP starting I think in January 2012 and lost 24 lbs and got into a relationship in June and from there on, I found myself not going to gym anymore. My free time that I had for gym and cooking and prepping were now spent with my bf.

That aside, my relationship just ended a week ago and I'm now back in trying to lose additional weight plus the 10 lbs I gained during the short relationship. I feel like in a way it helps me gain control of my life and have another focus besides my failed relationship.

I know this is a horrible way to think because I should always put myself and my happiness first and should never have give up on my goals but sometimes it's nice to just be happy and forget about the additional stress and obsessing over your food and need of losing weight and just go with flow and have a good time with your significant other.

^^^ This completely.

I feel this one hundred percent.

Sorry about your break up. Next time we're just gonna have to put ourselves and our goals first !
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think relationships can make you complacence. Therein lies the problem. However its not the fault of the relationship but who you become in the relationship. If you worked out 3 days a week before getting into the relationship, its important that you continue to do that once you're in a relationship as well. Hopefully the person you choose has an active lifestyle as well. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with taking a night in with pizza on a cozy couch. It just can't be every weekend. Figure out things you and your man can do together outside to get exercise. Most importantly, COOK TOGETHER. Find cool and different healthy recipes and turn into your own Food Network Chef for the night. Its a great time to spend quality time and neither of your health suffers because of it. I was like you too. I worked out all the time and eat right until I got engaged and then married and then I just stopped working out almost altogether. I would still cook a couple nights a week but those nights would be ruined by the other nights we got take out or what have you. Now I'm in a divorce and the heaviest I've been in my life! I wish I could throw it on the marriage but it was all me. We have to make sure we make ourselves accountable for ourselves. It was a tough lesson for me to learn but I finally got that. Hope it helps!
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Its all about the man you're with. If he's the right guy for you he will support you and understand that you have goals that do not involve pizza, ice cream, and other junk all the time. Of course, those things do no harm in moderation and can be enjoyed with your significant other from time to time. So anyone should tell their boyfriend (or girlfriend) about their goals and if they are not supportive, well then they should be shown the door.

I used to date a monster of a boy who would ***** and whine every time I would try to eat healthily - all he wanted to eat was McDonalds and needless to say, that relationship didn't last. My current boyfriend of two years has no weight to lose (lucky guy had a naturally beautiful body) and he can eat whatever he wants. However, when he is with me, he knows that sometimes I will want to enjoy a "treat meal" with him, but most of the time I will not - instead, we'll cook something healthy and satisfying together. In fact, he's even told me that I have inspired him to lead a healthier lifestyle and since then he has cut down his fast-food intake by a significant amount.

So NO, relationships themselves do not ruin diets.
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    In my opinion it doesn't matter if you're in a relationship or not.
    While I was single I put my heart and soul into working out, changing myself for the better. My priorities changed who I am and what I looked for in a relationship. I can't be with someone who isn't active and isn't driven by goals. My boyfriend is highly active; plays hockey 5 days a week, lifts weights with me, does races with me (We originally started talking because he was doing the Spartan race on the same day and time slot as me), goes rock climbing and does new things with me. Although his metabolism is freaking insane compared to mine (he's trying to add mass right now, 5000 calories a day if he doesn't workout) he eats very healthy and whatever I cook.

Regardless if you're single or not, you make the concious decision to keep your life style :)

Yeah good advice ! To be more active in relationships and not get too comfy on the couch! It would be great to be able to be on the same page with someone like this..
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My obsession with healthy living has really put a damper on my relationship, so quite the opposite for me!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Next time we're just gonna have to put ourselves and our goals first !

What is great about my wife is that she helps me keep my goals first. I try my damndest to encourage her to keep hers first. I would never have started running were it not for her. She helped set that goal, and makes more than enough room for me to have achieved that goal. I hope you find that kind of support!
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    I think relationships can make you complacence. Therein lies the problem. However its not the fault of the relationship but who you become in the relationship. If you worked out 3 days a week before getting into the relationship, its important that you continue to do that once you're in a relationship as well. Hopefully the person you choose has an active lifestyle as well. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with taking a night in with pizza on a cozy couch. It just can't be every weekend. Figure out things you and your man can do together outside to get exercise. Most importantly, COOK TOGETHER. Find cool and different healthy recipes and turn into your own Food Network Chef for the night. Its a great time to spend quality time and neither of your health suffers because of it. I was like you too. I worked out all the time and eat right until I got engaged and then married and then I just stopped working out almost altogether. I would still cook a couple nights a week but those nights would be ruined by the other nights we got take out or what have you. Now I'm in a divorce and the heaviest I've been in my life! I wish I could throw it on the marriage but it was all me. We have to make sure we make ourselves accountable for ourselves. It was a tough lesson for me to learn but I finally got that. Hope it helps!

Great reply thank you for sharing. Just need to remember my priorities in future.. x

Everyone is completely right. I am accountable for myself and my choices...
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    My obsession with healthy living has really put a damper on my relationship, so quite the opposite for me!

How so ?
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've had both.. I'm lucky to be dating a fabulous man right now who's supportive of my goals, and has actually started to eat a little healthier as a result :-)

You have to stick to it.
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Always keep in mind that its ok to stumble and we will never have it all figured out. The most we can do is strive to be the best we can be and then surround ourselves with a good network of likemind individuals who you can turn to for support when you slip and fall. Falling and Failing isn't the important message of the story, it's always how we rebound from the failure that makes up our character. I can see that you are well on you way to achieving greatness! Always learn for your lessons in the past and apply them to your experiences in the future. You Can't Lose! :wink:

Feel free to send a friend invite if you ever need a pep talk!
    Great reply thank you for sharing. Just need to remember my priorities in future.. x

Everyone is completely right. I am accountable for myself and my choices...
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is why I only date fit healthy men. Having similar goals/priorities helps so much when trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think that regardless of what my partner eats I make my own choices. I used to easily fall into eating like crap all the time if I was out with girlfriends or on a date with someone, etc, but now I just do what I want. If I want to make healthy choices, I do. If I don't, then I don't.

I guess now I'm just in a place where what others choose no longer affects me and being out and social is just a part of life so I work it into my calorie goals, etc.

You so smart :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I beleive relationships can ruin a diet and a lifestyle. But only because we let it. The 30 lbs I gained was all due to eating out more than at home and skipping exercise in favor of time with my husband. Giving up that extra 30-60 min of time with him to go exercise is still my biggest battle.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I can understand why it is easy for some to get complacent during a new relationship. Many people like to spend time with others by going out to eat, hanging around home, etc. But you have to remember that it is a personal choice. Perhaps you should try looking for guys who lead more active lifestyles.
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    I wouldn't say my relationship ruins my diet, but it's much more fun having movie nights in with pizza and wine. I still work out on a daily basis, but in the past 2 years I've gained 15lbs (working during the day and going to school at night) in those 2 years also hasn't helped with dinners shifting to 10pm. Now that I'm done with grad school I'm trying my best to lose the weight that I gained. Tempting pizza nights and wine aren't helping, but I don't think my bf forced any on me either. Although he does make more meat dinners than I like and gets upset when he thinks I'm not eating enough...not sure how eating alot equates to happiness in his mind...but I just ignore him when he makes my dinner portion the same as him.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree! Maybe it doesn't 'ruin' my diet, but it sure makes this a lot harder. Dating (especially at the beginning) involves food and drinks. Even though my new guy is very supportive and understands completely, its been harder on me. Going out to eat means I'm getting bigger portions than I should be eating and its very hard to push them away. I have been having tons of leftovers so it still ends up being more than I should be eating. We have a few drinks on the weekends, extra calories. I cook for him. Even when I cook healthy, its still more than I would be eating if I were alone. When I was single, dinner might be eggs with a slice of toast and some fruit. Cooking healthy now means fish, a potato and a veggie - still healthy but not quite as low in calories as eggs and toast. I also have less time to exercise. I've had to start getting up at 5am and doing morning workouts to fit them in and I do not put quite as much time into it as I did before. Its much easier to be 100% devoted when you are only working on yourself, not putting time into a relationship too.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I think it's not true. No one forces you to eat bad things - it's your own choices. If you blame others for where you are, for gaining weight, or for not reaching your goals then you might need professional help. Seriously. And a new life attitude.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read the whole thing before I decided to reply.

Relationships absolutely DO NOT ruin diets. Your own self control does. Period the end, no questions asked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's not true. No one forces you to eat bad things - it's your own choices. If you blame others for where you are, for gaining weight, or for not reaching your goals then you might need professional help. Seriously. And a new life attitude.

What are these "bad things" that you think we're eating? And how do you know we are not being forced?