eating more than you think....

Options

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You know - this might be my problem. I weigh my meats (chicken breasts , steaks) and veggies etc but not pre portioned things like bread, apples, eggs, bacon rashers.

Maybe I need a second food scale for work?
    Fruit was a big one for me. I was only logging for 50% of the calories.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea how to log a banana. All the entries go by size, and the associated weight is more often than not ways of what my 'medium' banana actually weighs (like it will say medium 8 inch banana (120g) and mine will be 150g or something. And do you count the skin or not when you weigh it?

MFP's entry for bananas (the one without the *) has an option to do it by grams. Much easier than trying to determine what size it is.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea how to log a banana. All the entries go by size, and the associated weight is more often than not ways of what my 'medium' banana actually weighs (like it will say medium 8 inch banana (120g) and mine will be 150g or something. And do you count the skin or not when you weigh it?

MFP's entry for bananas (the one without the *) has an option to do it by grams. Much easier than trying to determine what size it is.

I just wish someone would sort the database out so you don't have to sift through 250 banana entries to find THE non-* banana entry...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

With or without skin?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

With or without skin?

without
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I know since I started measuring my coffee creamer in the morning that it lasts longer. So I know what I thought was 3 tbps was probably 5 or 6. It was really yummy, but I stayed the same weight for a long time.

I haven't gotten to the weighing of the creamer yet, but probably should. I've "stalled" at this weight for a long time. I wouldn't mind dropping another % of BF, but it's peanuts at this point. I already feel ridiculous with the amount of weighing I do, but I guess if I want to hit my ultimate goal badly enough, I should probably weigh everything.

Ha, I'd forgotten you can't weigh liquids. They're measured by volume. A "weighted" ounce is not the same as a fluid ounce.

Just thought I'd remind people. I had my half-and-half out yesterday and my scale and was like, wait....
  • Francl27
    Options
    I know since I started measuring my coffee creamer in the morning that it lasts longer. So I know what I thought was 3 tbps was probably 5 or 6. It was really yummy, but I stayed the same weight for a long time.

I haven't gotten to the weighing of the creamer yet, but probably should. I've "stalled" at this weight for a long time. I wouldn't mind dropping another % of BF, but it's peanuts at this point. I already feel ridiculous with the amount of weighing I do, but I guess if I want to hit my ultimate goal badly enough, I should probably weigh everything.

Ha, I'd forgotten you can't weigh liquids. They're measured by volume. A "weighted" ounce is not the same as a fluid ounce.

Just thought I'd remind people. I had my half-and-half out yesterday and my scale and was like, wait....

Yes and I really wish they had the calories per weight on the box. It's a nightmare for things like maple syrup. I found some site online that converts it but I don't know how accurate that is (www.convert-to.com).
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This post was inspiring thank you. I ordered a kitchen food weight balance a few days ago and it should be arriving today, your post help me realize it was a worthwhile investment.

I worked in a microbiology lab for a few years and I would always measure powders and chemicals for solutions, I figured it was about time to apply that skill to my own diet and lifestyle changes as well.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am also only about 15 lbs away from goal, and I am loosing and gaining the same 5 pounds over the last month and a half... I have never weighed my food but I have a digital scale on my Christmas wish list... guess I should just get myself one now, if I want to close to goal by new years. :frown: any suggestions on the best brands and where to buy them?
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    I am also only about 15 lbs away from goal, and I am loosing and gaining the same 5 pounds over the last month and a half... I have never weighed my food but I have a digital scale on my Christmas wish list... guess I should just get myself one now, if I want to close to goal by new years. :frown: any suggestions on the best brands and where to buy them?

I have 2. I dont remember the brands though, but both I ordered from Amazon. One is a fancier one that if you enter the food in, it will break it all down for (fats, protein, carbs...) I never use it for anything else but the weight. I think I spent 50 dollars on it. The other one I have at work....(duh I am at work now....it's a EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale) I probably spent 20 or 30 on it and I really like it.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Apples- I usually log as a medium apple, because well there are bigger at the store and smaller ones. (yeah I know...dumb!) Well a medium one is 140g my "medium" apple was 210.

Maybe this is considering the apple was cut off the core and it's only 140g leaving a 70g core? (I don't have a scale to know this but could be possible)
  • M00NPYE
    Options

I have 2. I dont remember the brands though, but both I ordered from Amazon. One is a fancier one that if you enter the food in, it will break it all down for (fats, protein, carbs...) I never use it for anything else but the weight. I think I spent 50 dollars on it. The other one I have at work....(duh I am at work now....it's a EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale) I probably spent 20 or 30 on it and I really like it.

:flowerforyou: thank you!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I have an Eatsmart one. Nothing bad to say about it.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Maybe not a brand so much as features are what you should focus on.

1) a digital scale (don't get an analog one)

2) multiple weighing options (grams and ounces)

Those are the 2 big ones as any type of digital scale should have a tare function so you can zero out the scale after putting a bowl,plate etc on it.

I have one with a pull out view display that I like for when the plates or bowls are a little bigger.

You can find them at Amazon (which will more than likely have the best selection), or Bed Bath and Beyond. Walmart does not carry a digital one here in Alaska.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Excellent, I read a similar post and started weighing my food too and noticed my weight drop too. THis is my 2nd profile. In my first MFP profile I lost over 45lbs and had peaked at 30lbs until I weighed my food and it wasn't as horrible or OCD as I thought it would be
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    Excellent, I read a similar post and started weighing my food too and noticed my weight drop too. THis is my 2nd profile. In my first MFP profile I lost over 45lbs and had peaked at 30lbs until I weighed my food and it wasn't as horrible or OCD as I thought it would be
    I agree! It has not taken up any more noticable time in my day. I pre log all of my food, which I did anyways. Weigh before I eat it or as I prepare it. And then adjust it on here.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Yes and I really wish they had the calories per weight on the box. It's a nightmare for things like maple syrup. I found some site online that converts it but I don't know how accurate that is (www.convert-to.com).
    For some things like that I weigh out a serving a few times and record what that serving weight is for future use. I weighed out 2 TBSP of maple syrup and wrote the weight on the bottle. I know that my milk is 120g per 1/2 cup because I've done it so often. It's more accurate but really I do it so I don't have to dirty more measuring spoons and cups.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    So what are your secrets for weighing? What do you use for plates or bowls, or whatever to put on your scale?

Basically, how have you made it as easy as possible to do?
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    So what are your secrets for weighing? What do you use for plates or bowls, or whatever to put on your scale?

Basically, how have you made it as easy as possible to do?

Ok- well fruit and vegetables are easy...just put them on a clean scale if raw. If cooked put a plate on the scale, zero the scale out and weigh your food. For peanut butter I use a bowl (since I usually melt mine for my apple anyways it is not using another dish) I put the bowl on the scale zero it out and add pb until i have what I need. Making a big salad with lots of food?? Put your plate on the scale and zero it, add one food at a time. Make sure to zero the scale before adding the next. Its actually pretty simple.