eating more than you think....

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    This is the definition of obsessive. Some packages overestimate calories, and some even underestimate calories. Calm down, eat at your calorie goal, and let the rest even out.

This reminds me of the time I cried for 2 hours when I found out diet coke as 1 calorie per 8 ounces.

crying over 1 calorie in diet soda... obsessive
    reminding ourselves to accurately measure to avoid 200-400 a day calorie mistakes... responsible

But bringing a food scale out to a restaurant is perfectly normal?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    This is the definition of obsessive. Some packages overestimate calories, and some even underestimate calories. Calm down, eat at your calorie goal, and let the rest even out.

This reminds me of the time I cried for 2 hours when I found out diet coke as 1 calorie per 8 ounces.

crying over 1 calorie in diet soda... obsessive
    reminding ourselves to accurately measure to avoid 200-400 a day calorie mistakes... responsible

But bringing a food scale out to a restaurant is perfectly normal?

yes, because mexi restaurants have different size baskets, and i wanted to know how many servings were in the baskets at my typical place. plus, i dont pretend to be normal... im a little outside the normal box... my response to you was in regards to those measuring everything... THATS NORMAL!

that being said, your the one who brought up that weighting food is obsessive... not me.
  • funkyspunky872

The point is that if you can't measure accurately you can't just "eat at your calorie goal." Especially when people only have a small amount of weight to lose, there is a very small margin of error. Weighing food is another tool for people to learn to accurately log and achieve their goals. No one is crying here. They are learning.

I'm not talking about the issue of weighing foods vs. measuring with cups/tablespoons. I understand that those measurements are often wrong and can mean trouble when it comes to consuming on a regular basis as a part of a strict calorie goal. I am all for weighing meats or homemade meals. But someone here mentioned that they weigh mustard. You don't think that's gone a little too far?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's so true. I normally don't weigh foods like eggs. The other I did out of curiosity... My scale was right there so I thought why not? My large egg was 61g instead of 53 like the label said.

I just weighed my two eggs this morning. Normally I would have just logged as 2 large eggs which would have been 140 calories. But with weighing them its 173 calories

Not quite. In my experience, it doesn't matter that much for eggs, most of the extra weight is egg white, and it's really not enough calories to make a difference.

Another issue often is you don't know if the numbers include the skin or the pit for fruit...
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    One thing I did forgot to mention on my first post was to have a set of calibrated gram weights to occasionally check the accuracy of your scale. I know I'm being anal here but it should be addressed. The only person your cheating is yourself.
  • Francl27

The point is that if you can't measure accurately you can't just "eat at your calorie goal." Especially when people only have a small amount of weight to lose, there is a very small margin of error. Weighing food is another tool for people to learn to accurately log and achieve their goals. No one is crying here. They are learning.

I'm not talking about the issue of weighing foods vs. measuring with cups/tablespoons. I understand that those measurements are often wrong and can mean trouble when it comes to consuming on a regular basis as a part of a strict calorie goal. I am all for weighing meats or homemade meals. But someone here mentioned that they weigh mustard. You don't think that's gone a little too far?

Pfft I weigh mustard. It's 15 calories a serving. If you never weigh your condiments, you can go over by quite a bit at the end of the day.

And if you think it's obsessive... *shrug*. It's worked for me. My health matters more than whether people think I'm obsessive or not.
  • funkyspunky872
    It's so true. I normally don't weigh foods like eggs. The other I did out of curiosity... My scale was right there so I thought why not? My large egg was 61g instead of 53 like the label said.

I just weighed my two eggs this morning. Normally I would have just logged as 2 large eggs which would have been 140 calories. But with weighing them its 173 calories

Not quite. In my experience, it doesn't matter that much for eggs, most of the extra weight is egg white, and it's really not enough calories to make a difference.

Another issue often is you don't know if the numbers include the skin or the pit for fruit...

Yeah, it's another issue of obsessiveness. No one with a healthy mindset is freaking out about how many calories are in the skin of the apple they just ate.

The real issue is not knowing how many calories are in your toothpaste.
  • funkyspunky872

Pfft I weigh mustard. It's 15 calories a serving. If you never weigh your condiments, you can go over by quite a bit at the end of the day.

And if you think it's obsessive... *shrug*. It's worked for me. My health matters more than whether people think I'm obsessive or not.

A serving of mustard is 1 tsp. I'm sorry, but there are not 15 calories in a teaspoon of mustard. I don't know where you got that from. It's usually around 3-4 calories per teaspoon depending on the type, and those calories will not matter in the long run.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Does anyone have the video link to those studies where people were underestimating the food they ate? All these links are great, but there were some in a previous thread that I cannot find. Thanks!
    This one?
    You tube video on the differences between weighing and measuring food : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

No, it was an "official" study following people's eating throughout the day... Thanks though!
    Was it the two videos referred to in this thread about underreported intake?BBC documentary about metabolism myths using double labelled water?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1091852-reality-check-skinny-people-must-have-fast-metabolisms?
    That's what I was thinking of! Thank you!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

A serving of mustard is 1 tsp. I'm sorry, but there are not 15 calories in a teaspoon of mustard. I don't know where you got that from. It's usually around 3-4 calories per teaspoon depending on the type, and those calories will not matter in the long run.

For me there's got to be balance. I don't weigh spinach or pre-packaged foods. I don't take my food scale to restaurants. But I do weigh my mayo and other condiments.

To me it's about realizing that there's some margin of error in the process, but still trying to minimize that margin as much as possible.

And I don't think everyone needs to weigh everything. Some people don't like the place it takes them mentally and that's fine. But if you have a small deficit and you're not losing, it's the first thing I'd suggest.
  • funkyspunky872

For me there's got to be balance. I don't weigh spinach or pre-packaged foods. I don't take my food scale to restaurants. But I do weigh my mayo and other condiments.

To me it's about realizing that there's some margin of error in the process, but still trying to minimize that margin as much as possible.

And I don't think everyone needs to weigh everything. Some people don't like the place it takes them mentally and that's fine. But if you have a small deficit and you're not losing, it's the first thing I'd suggest.

I think you have a healthy point of view on weighing food. I'm mainly concerned about the people here who are taking things to an extreme.
  • Francl27

The one I use does. It's French. It's 15 calories for 10g and I like a lot of it, lol.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I have a scale and weigh and measure literally everything. I've lost weight, no problem, but even at that, my trainer said I was underestimating my caloric intake by 100 to 150 per day, based upon the amount of weight I'd lost, the amount of exercise I was getting and what I was eating. It's never going to be perfect so I think the best assumption is that we're eating more than we think and plan accordingly.

I tried eating back more of my exercise calories than I normally do for a week or two and my weight loss stalled. When I stay on the lower end of eating them back, under 50%, I lose faster.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member

I think you have a healthy point of view on weighing food. I'm mainly concerned about the people here who are taking things to an extreme.

Honestly how other people choose to commit to their weight loss has nothing to do with you and for you to say we're obsessive is unnecessary. I do have a food scale, in fact I have 3 of them. 1 for home, 1 at work and 1 I keep in my purse.

For me it's what has helped me get to where I am now.

For you it may seem extreme and that's your prerogative but for me it's what works.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Wow, awesome post!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

I get your point but I think everyone's got to draw that line for themselves. There are people who think that what I do is extreme. *shrug*
  • QuietBloom
    Weigh everything and for the guys and gals that take protein supplements weigh those too, the scoops in the containers can be off by 5-7 grams. Unfortunately, I found this lesson out the hard way.

I found that out too! I was actually over estimating the amount of protein powder I was eating, because I thought 'a scoop is a scoop'! But it isn't.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    I live in the UK so we don't really use cups and tend to weigh more, but it's scary that bought food in stated pack sizes can be so far over their stated weight. I never actually weigh stuff that's bought as a single serving. Oh no, something else to worry about :noway:

Exactly what I was thinking...
  • QuietBloom

ETA: And yes this coming from someone who has been struggling with bulimia for some time now. I weigh most things, but even then, I know when things are getting too obsessive. You do not need to weigh a snickers bar before eating. You do not need to weigh a slice of bread. You do NOT need to weigh every little morsel of food that you put in your mouth.

Weighing is convenient and accurate when dealing with peanut butter, meats, veggies, cheese, etc. But, let's be honest -- there is no reason whatsoever to weigh mustard. If you're accidentally ingesting a few more calories due to inaccuracies, it's not going to kill you. It's not going to significantly affect your weight loss. (Oh, yes, I'm sure that extra 10 calories worth of coffee creamer is the reason why you're not losing weight each week.)

If a package of chips says 11 is the serving size, pick out 11 chips. Don't let food control your life, people. It isn't worth it.

From what I read on your profile, I think you have a very healthy attitude. For you. But you need to remember that not everyone is on the same journey, and for lots of people trying to lose weight a scale is an invaluable tool. I won't judge you for your methods and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't judge me for mine.

Many thanks.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    So I am guessing I have been eating 300-500 calories more a day than I logged. And yes that is why I haven't lost anymore.

I guess I am posting this because hopefully someone reads it and instead of insisting they are right and their body is playing games, they really look at what they are eating. I was really shocked. And now kind of sad because I have to eat less. :(

You rock. It takes courage to say "maybe the problem is at my end".