eating more than you think....

Options

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know since I started measuring my coffee creamer in the morning that it lasts longer. So I know what I thought was 3 tbps was probably 5 or 6. It was really yummy, but I stayed the same weight for a long time.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great post! I've been guesstimating a lot lately. Gotta get back to measuring!
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Another thing to watch for is the # of servings listed on the package. My instant rice says "about 2 servings" but there's really only about 1.7 servings in a package. I use grams for everything now instead of ounces so that I can eat every last morsel I'm allowed! 8^)
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Thank you for sharing this. I have been on a similar plateau lately and haven't been wanting to start weighing everything - but I guess it's time!

Just another reason for me to hire a live in chef that is also a nutiritionist and personal trainer... (If only it were that easy!!)
  • jess17587
    Options
    I don't think the key to all of this is calorie counting I think it is learning how much your body needs and knowing learning to control your hunger basically just a regular healthy life style. I mean most of these people on the street you see that have been skinny all their lives, they don't weigh out peanut butter and corn flakes do they?!!!
    Instead they just get a bowl and tip the box until they see the amount they want and the size portion for there body and this does not mean filling the bowl to the top and then flooding with milk then still having a costa hot chocolate on the way to work followed by a muffin :indifferent: :embarassed:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!! This needs to be read by every newbie!!! :happy:
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't think the key to all of this is calorie counting I think it is learning how much your body needs and knowing learning to control your hunger basically just a regular healthy life style. I mean most of these people on the street you see that have been skinny all their lives, they don't weigh out peanut butter and corn flakes do they?!!!
    Instead they just get a bowl and tip the box until they see the amount they want and the size portion for there body and this does not mean filling the bowl to the top and then flooding with milk then still having a costa hot chocolate on the way to work followed by a muffin :indifferent: :embarassed:
    For me - counting calories is learning what my body needs. Obvioulsy at 240 pounds I was not counting and didn't know what my body needed. I know now what it needs and it needs me to count and measure what is going in it. I still don't know how to control hunger without food though..... you have me confused on that.
  • jess17587
    Options
    For me - counting calories is learning what my body needs. Obvioulsy at 240 pounds I was not counting and didn't know what my body needed. I know now what it needs and it needs me to count and measure what is going in it. I still don't know how to control hunger without food though..... you have me confused on that.

yea thats how i learnt as well because i had lived most of my life eating more than i needed to the point that i didn't know were i stood with what was normal so calorie counting is were it began and from there my body got a routien and a life style
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I mean most of these people on the street you see that have been skinny all their lives, they don't weigh out ....... corn flakes do they?!!! Instead they just get a bowl and tip the box until they see the amount they want

Seriously, you don't want to see my skinny son pouring out breakfast cereal, it has to be patted down to make room for the milk, he eats about 4000 calories a day and keeps his abs and 30" waist. So jealous :cry:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have slim friends and was in a healthy weight range for most of my life and I truly never gave a thought to eating or counting calories until my thirties. But I wasn't eating that much and I definitely wasn't eating that healthy. I was skinny fat and then I got actual fat. Now I know that I need a certain amount of protein, fat, micronutrients and fiber and counting calories is the way I know I'm going to get it. My slim friends who don't count calories may be eating intuitively, but they're not necessarily eating properly for optimum health and fitness: they just eat a lot of rabbit food and Lean Cuisines.
  • jess17587
    Options
    I mean most of these people on the street you see that have been skinny all their lives, they don't weigh out ....... corn flakes do they?!!! Instead they just get a bowl and tip the box until they see the amount they want

Seriously, you don't want to see my skinny son pouring out breakfast cereal, it has to be patted down to make room for the milk, he eats about 4000 calories a day and keeps his abs and 30" waist. So jealous :cry:

trust me its not all as it seems...
    he might be more active or might not have much inbetween the day. there is always something
    maybe even like my friend who has a fast motabilism and i didn't think that actually had a effect untill i met her, i just thought it was all myth
  • jess17587
    Options
    I have slim friends and was in a healthy weight range for most of my life and I truly never gave a thought to eating or counting calories until my thirties. But I wasn't eating that much and I definitely wasn't eating that healthy. I was skinny fat and then I got actual fat. Now I know that I need a certain amount of protein, fat, micronutrients and fiber and counting calories is the way I know I'm going to get it. My slim friends who don't count calories may be eating intuitively, but they're not necessarily eating properly for optimum health and fitness: they just eat a lot of rabbit food and Lean Cuisines.

i try not to obbsess with that but thats just me and i do know there are very pro fit protien people out there
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    This is why I bought a scale and weight everything that I can possibly weigh. I just hope that the information in the food database is accurate. Somehow I think that much of it is not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I think of it like needing glasses. I'm always going to need glasses or contacts because my vision can't be trusted. I plan to always count calories too because my idea of portion sizes can't be trusted. It's habit now, it takes me less than 10 minutes per day. Whenever I've tried to go back to not counting my weight has slowly crept up.
  • peachcats
    Options
    unless it's water, it should be weighed before it touches your mouth.
    "calorie counting" has become second nature to me. It takes me less than 10 seconds to plop a bowl/plate on my scale, put the stuff on it, then write it down on my dry erase board to log later. People who say it's too tedious aren't doing it properly.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    like said previously, i only weigh food im cooking myself (meats, veggies, etc). i never thought about weighing packaged foods but when it comes down to it i don't care all that much, their labels are estimates anyways and i can afford to be a few grams off. i absolutely love my food scale though, before it i really had no idea how much i was actually eating and under/over estimated practically everything
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's true. I still think in a pinch and for liquids measuring cups are acceptable and better than nothing.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Be aware that it goes the other way, too. I weighed the mayo on the last sandwich I made and what looked like a full tablespoon to me ended up being half of a one tablespoon serving going by grams.

And maybe I scoop differently than everyone else, but my 1T of peanut butter is actually 1T of peanut butter when I weigh it.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So excited that my first food scale will be delivered tomorrow!
  • jess17587
    Options
    like said previously, i only weigh food im cooking myself (meats, veggies, etc). i never thought about weighing packaged foods but when it comes down to it i don't care all that much, their labels are estimates anyways and i can afford to be a few grams off. i absolutely love my food scale though, before it i really had no idea how much i was actually eating and under/over estimated practically everything

same! I never thought about weighing packaged foods because i think it is a bit over the top and i also think im better off not knowing in a way because once i start that i dont ever think i will be able to stop plus really what difference will it make?! i mean com on people we are talking 2 or 3 grams and I just think whenever it could weigh more than its amen to there would be times when it has weighed less and that has made no diffrence...