Breaking News: Major Shift on Cholesteral

Options

Replies

• arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the recommendation to increase bariatric surgery. Surgery should always be a LAST resort.

Huh? Cant read the post how does an article on cholesterol=bariatric surgery. What is up with physician's lately every last one of them is knife crazy. I work with one MD who still feels that it should be a last ditch option. The rest are ready to cut the fatties open. Even my OB was saying well after you deliver maybe you want to consider it...I'm like uh I lost 70lbs doing my own thing thanks for the advice doc but no thanks.

sorry didnt mean to go off on a tangent but ive been seeing it everywhere lately. It's because they dont know what to do about obesity.

It especially is insane when they won't cut you open for any other surgery if you're obese, but something as invasive as bariatric surgery where you could die, is acceptable. I guess their reasoning is that being dead is better than being fat. I've had two doctors recommend the surgery to me even though I was there for a checkup and had no health complaints.

Cholesterol 192
    HDL 37
    LDL 113
    Triglyceride 100

Ac1 5.8
    BP 128/65
    BMI 63.5
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Fun thing to remember; the doctor can write as many prescriptions for statins as they want. You are under exactly zero obligation to have them filled. Might want to keep this in mind when they start trying to up the statin prescriptions.

Suit yourself! Just don't complain if the people on statins live longer!
    Also, possibly a dumb questions; the article says they have no idea what to target for ideal cholesterol, so their recommendation is to just toss cholesterol lowering drugs at people who may possibly have a heart attack. So, uh, why? If we don't know what we're shooting for as far as cholesterol numbers go, what are we trying to achieve with the cholesterol lowering drugs?

Because multiple large well designed studies have consistently demonstrated that statins increase lifespan in patients that meet the new criteria. We used to think everything was about cholesterol levels, and therefore assumed that the effect of statins was due primarily to how they improve cholesterol. And that may still be the case, but things are much more complicated than just a simple cholesterol number.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    I disagree with the recommendation to increase bariatric surgery. Surgery should always be a LAST resort.

Huh? Cant read the post how does an article on cholesterol=bariatric surgery. What is up with physician's lately every last one of them is knife crazy. I work with one MD who still feels that it should be a last ditch option. The rest are ready to cut the fatties open. Even my OB was saying well after you deliver maybe you want to consider it...I'm like uh I lost 70lbs doing my own thing thanks for the advice doc but no thanks.

sorry didnt mean to go off on a tangent but ive been seeing it everywhere lately. It's because they dont know what to do about obesity.

It especially is insane when they won't cut you open for any other surgery if you're obese, but something as invasive as bariatric surgery where you could die, is acceptable. I guess their reasoning is that being dead is better than being fat. I've had two doctors recommend the surgery to me even though I was there for a checkup and had no health complaints.

Cholesterol 192
    HDL 37
    LDL 113
    Triglyceride 100

Ac1 5.8
    BP 128/65
    BMI 63.5

I wish you the best, but it would be very unusual for someone with your BMI to maintain those cholesterol levels, A1C, and BP for long haul. You're body is still handling the extra weight okay at the age of 44 which is great. But eventually that BMI will catch up with you.

FYI, primary care doctors are NOT surgeons and don't see a single cent of that money bariatric surgeons make. Furthermore most primary care docs seem to actually dislike surgeons. They're recommending the surgery based on the data that shows your long term prognosis is not looking good unless you lose weight.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma wins again

I'm not one who believes in conspiracy theories, but this is an issue that must be taken into account. Pharma executives will tell you outright that their main goal is profit. They love drugs like statins (and they will say this pretty bluntly) because people usually have to take them for the rest of their lives and there is a steady flow of new patients. It is sad and scary because the big companies are abandoning R&D on drugs like antibiotics because doctors and scientists have been concerned with the overuse of them causing resistant bacteria. Antibiotics just are not profitable because of the massive cost of R&D coupled with the reduced demand. There was a great Frontline docu about this.

Potential conflict of interests should not be ignored even with the FDA around. These drugs are important and can save lives, but we need more third party independent research on the side effects and potential overuse.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Nobody is forcing anybody to shove Rx down our throats. They can sure try.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Cholesterol 192
    HDL 37
    LDL 113
    Triglyceride 100

Ac1 5.8
    BP 128/65
    BMI 63.5

I wish you the best, but it would be very unusual for someone with your BMI to maintain those cholesterol levels, A1C, and BP for long haul. You're body is still handling the extra weight okay at the age of 44 which is great. But eventually that BMI will catch up with you.

FYI, primary care doctors are NOT surgeons and don't see a single cent of that money bariatric surgeons make. Furthermore most primary care docs seem to actually dislike surgeons. They're recommending the surgery based on the data that shows your long term prognosis is not looking good unless you lose weight.

I've been this BMI for 20 years I am most concerned with my AC1 and raising my hdl. I am 44 years old. I am active and have no joint pain. I am sure they meant well, but why would I risk my life because at some point I might get sick? If you monitor your diet you can keep your numbers good with or without weight loss. I have started adding exercise since I went from an active job to a call center where I sit for 10 hours 4 days a week. Losing weight is not my goal. Eating healthy and exercise is. I have given up soda and sugary drinks. I am interested in what my next Ac1 will show. I enjoy using this tool to monitor my intake.

It's easy to use. I was over my daily goal I think once because of a family gathering. I have it set to lose 1lb a week, but I won't be tracking my weight. I don't have a scale and I think when people focus so much on the numbers that leads to depression and reverting to bad habits because they're discouraged when those numbers aren't what they expect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't know...makes more sense to me than the current criteria.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am glad that my primary care physician doesn't prescribe statins at all. He refuses as he says all the data points to them being very harmful and that generally speaking the people that have cholesterol levels between 200-220 are the most healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I am glad that my primary care physician doesn't prescribe statins at all. He refuses as he says all the data points to them being very harmful and that generally speaking the people that have cholesterol levels between 200-220 are the most healthy.

That seems a bit negligent should he have a patient that needs them...high LDL levels and low HDL levels are often genetic and medications are necessary. Your doctor sounds like he sucks.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma is a multi billion dollar industry. I seriously doubt they would try to influence the FDA, that would be unethical. :laugh:

Some of the side effects of statins:

Muscle pain and damage
    Liver damage
    Diabetes
    Dementia

Patient: How am I doing doc?

Doctor: It appears that your losing strength, your liver is in bad shape, you have insulin resistance and you just asked me the same question 2 minutes ago. On the bright side your cholesterol numbers are great.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma is a multi billion dollar industry. I seriously doubt they would try to influence the FDA, that would be unethical. :laugh:

Muscle pain and damage
    Liver damage
    Diabetes
    Dementia

Doctor: It appears that your losing strength, your liver is in bad shape, you have insulin resistance and you just asked me the same question 2 minutes ago. On the bright side your cholesterol numbers are great.
    lol
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    careful tillmoph - you can be written up as "non-compliant" patient and if you change insurance companies it may set off a red flag or if you get admitted to the hospital for a related event your insurance might not pay for the stay. One of the new healthcare requirements for providers to continue to receive MediCare/MediCaid payments is to document at EVERY visit whether the patient is taking their meds and insurance companies will look for ANY excuse to deny policies or claims.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think its ridiculous. If a healthy lifestyle will reverse and or reduce issues, it should always be the first line of defense and always the first recommendation by a health professional if they are truly dedicated to providing best options for health care.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

That seems a bit negligent should he have a patient that needs them...high LDL levels and low HDL levels are often genetic and medications are necessary. Your doctor sounds like he sucks.

My Dr is very old school in his practice, but very up to date on studies. He is fabulous and treats with nutrition therapy over merely writing a script.

Dr's that feed into the Big Pharma hype are the ones that suck.

The goal should be to keep patients OFF drugs...........not keep adding them on to see how many scripts they can write a patient.

The risks of statins severely outweighs any benefit.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma wins again

Just what I was thinking :/
    nick-miller-twitch.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Muscle pain and damage
    Liver damage
    Diabetes
    Dementia

lol

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ahamm002
    Options

My Dr is very old school in his practice, but very up to date on studies. He is fabulous and treats with nutrition therapy over merely writing a script.

The goal should be to keep patients OFF drugs...........not keep adding them on to see how many scripts they can write a patient.

LOL, your "doctor" is a quack if he doesn't prescribe statins at all. Given the plethora of great studies that clearly show their benefits for INCREASING LIFE SPAN in the right patients, it's practically malpractice to "never" prescribe them. I hate big pharm just as much as everybody else, but that doesn't mean all drugs are bad.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

My brother-in-law tried to control his cholesterol and heart issues with diet and exercise and is paleo all the way...nothin' doing...he'd likely be dead without his statins. Yes, lifestyle change should be first, but that doesn't work 100% of the time...but I get that you and your doctor would rather watch people die then get life saving medicines when they need them...that's cool...have fun with your doc should you actually ever need something.

By the by, I do agree that many docs are too quick to write a script...but many "old school" docs like yours are also extreme in the other direction...and downright negligent if you ask me...
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this benefits the drug companies most of all. It's in their best interests to get as many people on medicines as possible.